Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 71: Test Drive Unlimited 2 & NFS Hot Pursuit @ E3

8 posts in this topic

Episode 71 is our third E3 2010 special report. This show we have a variety of topics.. Starting with Test Drive Unlimited 2 by Atari and Eden Games. Jessica talks with one of the lead developers as we show their latest trailer. Then Shaun interviews a dev from Criterion games while Darin checks out their new title Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. Jessica also stops by the Turtle Beach and Playseats booth to see what they have to offer in 2010.

In our forth and final E3 2010 special, we will cover WRC by Blackbean and Milestone, Interview with Thomas Jackermeier of Fanatec and Jessica checks out what Tritton headphones has to offer.

Hope you enjoy the show!

Awesome show. It is too bad Atari wouldn't let you get footage, and weren't really open with you guys about the game. Hopefully before they release it they will get you a copy to review. I have already met my quota for games for Christmas (Fallout New Vegas, LittleBigPlanet 2, and GT5), so I will wait for a review from you, and maybe get it for my birthday instead. Can't wait for your last E3 show.

Couple of fun looking games there.

That seat is something else! The built in speakers and sub in the seat for a literal butt kicker. LOL

I've got some Turtlebeach AXT's and X3's, which I'm pretty happy with, but each have their shortcomings. They're going so far with the tech that they're pricing them out of the realm of realism though. The pc set looked pretty good. I like my Z-5500 system, but it's good to have some good headphones around.

Fun episode!! I think my Nephew will like NFS hot pursuit. I may get it too then so we can play together. That chair does look killer also. I am looking forward to Blackbean's WRC discussion. After re-watching the SBK-X show I ended up getting the SBK Superbike game blackbean put out here in May. I am disappointed SBK X isn't here yet...I guess they don't want to kill the previous game but I wish they'd just announce a date. I will say the game that is out is pretty good so the WRC game should be good too.

I thought the seat looked rough TBH. the ones they filmed close up looked good but the ones in the background were baggy and saggy, have another look. It's probes where they fold but it opens a window of how it may look in a months time.

Speakers in the head rest sigh, any car hifi or home hifi person will tell you, you try your best to get the drivers the same distance from your ears or you kill the sound stage.

The rest of the show, as ever was great.

Hi there its my first post so please ignore any mistakes !! Many thanks to Darin and Shaun for taking the time to continue making some fantastic episodes for sim gamers all over the world.

I Do have one small dissapointment through...!! I hoped when Shaun was interviewing the criterion guy about hot pursuit to correct him when he started talking about the original need for speed.........He said hot pursuit is a successor to the 1995 game and that it continues the " balance " of realism vs fun blah blah.....For people that remember the original game that sounded more like a travesty.....The original need for speed was for its a time a great sim second only to indycar and nascar and those were made by craemmer ....well the godfather of sim racing games.......

The original need for speed was made by pioneer for 3do by Distinctive Software, and it was made in collaboration with road and track magazine as they helped with all the telemetry and car handling....It was also named Road & Track present the need for speed and it was among the first games that supported steering wheel peripherals along games like nascar and indycar....For the time the handling of the cars and the collition detection where great...

Also THE NEED FOR SPEED was the first and last OPEN ROAD SIMULATION GAME.....:( Almost any other game that has open road segments and traffic ends up to be an arcade racer...Well the need for speed was a simulation and the goal was to stay on the road,avoid crashing with other cars and then try to win the race....Also the cop chases were great with the goal not to crash 10000 times with them like every other arcade game but simply to stay ahead...if they got too close it was over..

Also its a real pity how the scorn the masterpiece of the original game with all those abysmal arcadish sequals...and its really sad that noone tryed to do an open road sim.Granded you can have some huge roads in gpl and rfactor like isle of man,targa florio etc....but in the first case you are limited with dated graphics and with open wheel cars/le mans style or in rfactor you have great graphics a ton of great road cars but there is no working ai...

Does anyone know how the playseat S/V gets the audio, is it plugged into the back of the ps3 with rca jacks? I would like it to be left and right rear audio and not left and right front audio! Looks pretty cool though!! In the video he says it'll be around $599 to $699, it shouldn't be more than that, it's actually $799. I'm debating on buying that or the GT revolution, but want to make sure it's compatible with the T500 RS!!!!

Well, to be honest - I think there is NO working AI in any racing simulation that has ever been released.

No matter if it's rFactor/GTR/GTR2/GTL which all have a very limited AI due to waypoints badly set by most modding teams as it's far behind the importance of immersion, graphics and physics, not to mention the fact that a quick simracer is able to beat the 120% AI of these games quite easily on most of the tracks... despite the fact, that they are able to use more grip and are still slower than fast humans.

Or if it's a game like GT5, where the AI is very slow all the way through and brakes in some hideous areas.

I guess talking about F1-2010 is hopeless, even tough the defending lines are quite immersive.