Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is the Logitech G25/G27 the only sim racing shifter in the market with buttons for extra functionality?

8 posts in this topic

I was thinking long and hard about this but the Logitech G25/G27 shifter is the only shifter available with buttons on it. In fact, if you include the d-pad, that's 12 extra buttons. That's almost like a shifter and button box all in one! I know many non G-Motor sims accept more than 3 peripherals, but, I race at least 4 days a week in leagues using rFactor mods. My question is though, why don't any other companies that make custom shifters add extra buttons to it? I mean, the shifter could get in the way unless you position the buttons well, but, I have enough muscle memory built up from using my G27's buttons to be able to do things like request a pit stop, adjust traction control, or use chat hotkeys to inform other drivers that I am entering or leaving the pits. Just thought I'd put my two cents in, but does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I never use the buttons on th G27 shifter only because i have a button box and i find it easier pressing buttons on that rather then reaching around the stick to press the buttons. I don't know of any other shifters with buttons i don't think there is any demand for it as you either want a button box which is easy to reach or loads of buttons on your wheel which are quick and easy to press on the go.

CHEERS! :D

I never use the buttons on th G27 shifter only because i have a button box and i find it easier pressing buttons on that rather then reaching around the stick to press the buttons. I don't know of any other shifters with buttons i don't think there is any demand for it as you either want a button box which is easy to reach or loads of buttons on your wheel which are quick and easy to press on the go.

CHEERS! :D

There are some things I don't want to be at risk of bumping when reacing for a button box during a race, but still want relatively easy access to during a practice session or warm up -- things like radio control, FFB, FOV, etc.

I find that the eight buttons on the G wheel shifter pod provide a great solution -- I don't have to fumble with a keyboard or toggle through black boxes to adjust parameters, but when the race is on they are safely away from what I need to focus on during a race. You can even do things like map the shifter position to radio channels, or use a controller mapping solution to make the thing into a Teamspeak control surface. 

If for some reason I do suddenly have to adjust things during a race, my shifter pod is both within arms reach, and the layout makes it very easy to use without looking.

My G27 shifter pod is the only part of my Logitech gear still in my rig (using Bodnar standalone solution) and I don't see myself removing it anytime soon.

To the OP: The Logitech G2x setup is meant to be a complete entry/mid-level sim racing kit all in one box and all working together. Logitech knew that button boxes are part of racing, and so they included what is basically a miniature button box nicely integrated into their H-gate shifter. They had the market research, the engineers, and manufacturing all in place to mass-produce such a product.

For the high end, low-production sim gear businesses making a competitive product that is profitable and easy to manufacture is far more difficult than for a massive corporation with established logistics, infrastructure, manufacturing, and marketing.

If a 140 dollar shifter also had some cheap-feeling buttons on it, people would complain that they expect better quality for 140 dollars. If a 200 dollar shifter had the same gearshift but high quality buttons integrated, people would complain that they can't just pay 140 for the shifter because they don't want buttons.

Why don't custom gear shifts have buttons? They wouldn't help sell the product nor would they increase profits.

There is just not enough buttons for me on the shifter, and found the transition from pressing buttons on a button box then the shifter was more comfortable and faster as my button box is around 3 inches from my wheel. I do find the shifter buttons good for things before leaving the pits such as FOV. But anything like break bias, wing pit adjustments and macros for sorry, thank you etc I once  pushed my shifter with my wrist from 4th to 1st and blew my engine that was from trying to press a button lol

i CHEERS! :)

I just thought the g27 shifter has buttons, because the g27 wheel itself doesnt have all the gamepad buttons.

tx500, fanatec wheels, all have the dpad / buttons on the wheel itself.

Makes me think logitech just wanted to move the buttons from the wheel to something seperate, the shifter.

I agree the buttons on the g27 shifter can be helpful, and since the g27 was my first wheel i mightve got spoiled thinking that my shifter should have buttons.

But yea, i dont think i should expect a shifter to double up as another periphal unless otherwise stated.

Ok then. Why doesn't anyone make a button box and shifter all in one with the buttons (or rotary encoders and switches) maybe on the front edge of it? That way you wouldn't have to worry moving the shifter while hitting a button and still have the extra functionality of a shifter and button box all in one.

Because no one makes shifters for consoles anymore. The only reason the G25/27 shifter had buttons was so they could be used easily on the console. Now that they aren't making wheels anymore I doubt you will see a button and shifter box again