Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 70 - GT5 E3 2010 Special Report

23 posts in this topic

Of all the E3 specials, this one took the longest to produce and to edit.

Here's our in depth look at the soon to be released Gran Turismo 5 for the Sony Playstation 3. We have exclusive footage of GT5 from the Mercedes SLS party featuring GT5 as one of the stars. I was part of the Sony Breakout session for Gran Turismo 5 where they released some new facts of what is coming in GT5. Shaun also interviews Chris Hinojosa-Miranda an Associate Producer from the GT5 team. We also got to try GT5 in 3D with Head Tracking.

Hope you enjoy the show !

Darin mention that 3D would lessen the need for multi display. I would disagree tho for the following reason that I answered about a larger screen vs multi display setup.

"With a larger screen you are just seeing a larger pic. You are not seeing the peripheral views as with a multi display setup. Also the bezels for me gets pushed to the background any way. Since your are really looking at the center display the majority of the time. The side displays are only for peripheral awareness."

This would apply to 3D IMO since you are still restricted to one central display and you would not get the peripheral awareness that a multi display would provide. I don't know how multi display 3D as proposed by NVidia would work if the two outer displays are to be used as peripheral displays.

BTW a good episode...too bad Sony is still so tight lip about GT5.

I will prob get a PS3 to run GT5 but the sim I am really looking forword to is rFactor 2.

Just came across this in the US Playstation forums, and was wondering if this guy knows what he is talking about? Great show too.

Jeff Rubenstein | June 18th, 2010 at 9:56 am

More than 40 tracks with over 100 layouts (including all versions of Nurburgring – which nobody’s ever done before). That enough for you? :)

Just came across this in the US Playstation forums, and was wondering if this guy knows what he is talking about? Great show too.

Jeff Rubenstein | June 18th, 2010 at 9:56 am

More than 40 tracks with over 100 layouts (including all versions of Nurburgring – which nobody’s ever done before). That enough for you? :)

Definitely if thats what it ships with ! I'm basing my comments on what they talked about int he "Breakout Session" and whats posted here http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5247p2.html

thanks for the post and compliment !

That head tracking is a big deal. If they come out with more racing sims, a flight sim and realistic shooter to use that with, I'll be buying a PS3. GT5 looks good, but I'm a little tired of the "jack of all trades, but master of none" game approach. Looks like Grid but 10 times the size. Not that a game like that can't be a lot of fun, but they just don't satisfy when you find a racing venue you'd like to stick with to explore more.

allright i gotta mention this... why do ya guys keep calling stock cars "nascars"? NASCAR is the sanctioning body of the sport, such as the NFL or MLB or NBA. the vehicle used for competition in the series is known as a stock car, not "a nascar". if anything call it a NASCAR stock car. a little bit of my dies inside everytime i hear " a nascar". ugh. :x

for example,look at the ARCA series. they too race stock cars, people don't call the vehicles "a arca" or "arcas"

ok enough ranting. awesome episode as normal, i think i'm now convinced to get a PS3. :D

Wow, I really enjoyed this episode, and I have to say I am impressed at the access you guys have been able to get with these sim developers.

A few questions though.

1- I may have missed something, but do you have to pay extra for the premium cars?

2- The guys at giantbomb.com had problems with the head tracking thing (see http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/ at 16.43). Did you have any problems with it?

3- Was there any noticeable performance difference when running in 3d? Like frames dropping or anything.

Apparently Dale Jr. had some sort of involvement with getting NASCARS into the game (

). Please tell me Monaco or Cote D'Azure is back in the game. I gotta take that 88 car around that track, cause I'm a dork.

This was another great episode. Good job Darrin and the rest of the crew.

I have to say one thing though.... everyone is saying how amazing the graphics in GT5 are, and i agree they are amazing....but let's not forget F1 2010. In my humble opinion, F1 2010's graphics actually look better than GT5. I mean, I still can't get over the footage of it in the last episode when they were going around Spa in the rain. It looked so incredible that it massed my head up and I couldn't concentrate at work the next day LOL.

Darin in your honest opinion, which game looked better to you graphically(barring any 3D effects obviously)?

Wow, I really enjoyed this episode, and I have to say I am impressed at the access you guys have been able to get with these sim developers.

A few questions though.

1- I may have missed something, but do you have to pay extra for the premium cars?

2- The guys at giantbomb.com had problems with the head tracking thing (see http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/ at 16.43). Did you have any problems with it?

3- Was there any noticeable performance difference when running in 3d? Like frames dropping or anything.

Apparently Dale Jr. had some sort of involvement with getting NASCARS into the game (

). Please tell me Monaco or Cote D'Azure is back in the game. I gotta take that 88 car around that track, cause I'm a dork.

1- I may have missed something, but do you have to pay extra for the premium cars? No.. I wondered the same thing

2- The guys at giantbomb.com had problems with the head tracking thing (see http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/ at 16.43). Did you have any problems with it? YEs, it wasn't setup properly for us either. WHen working, it seems to act like a track IR

3- Was there any noticeable performance difference when running in 3d? Like frames dropping or anything. Not that I saw..

This was another great episode. Good job Darrin and the rest of the crew.

I have to say one thing though.... everyone is saying how amazing the graphics in GT5 are, and i agree they are amazing....but let's not forget F1 2010. In my humble opinion, F1 2010's graphics actually look better than GT5. I mean, I still can't get over the footage of it in the last episode when they were going around Spa in the rain. It looked so incredible that it massed my head up and I couldn't concentrate at work the next day LOL.

Darin in your honest opinion, which game looked better to you graphically(barring any 3D effects obviously)?

GT5 looks more photo-real.. The graphics in F1 2010 are amazing though! The detail is stunning.. That is a great question though in general and I'd say they are both awesome!

Great episode guys, I really enjoyed it although I'm sure you knew you were going to take a lot of heat from the GT community but that is to be expected from dedicated fans :P.

I was wondering one thing that wasn't really mentioned between you and Shaun. I was hoping to hear your take on the dirt/rally physics, how does it compare to say Dirt 2 or RBR?

The dirt and debris looks like the head-to-head rally races will be a blast.

I too enjoyed the episode! I'm really looking forward to Nov 2 (humm...also election day..maybe a good day to use my vacation time) I agree with Tinker that it's a shame they're being so tight lipped. I hope they use move to implement allowing us to "explore" the cars the way Forza is using Kinect. (But *not* for driving inputs!!)

Definitely if thats what it ships with ! I'm basing my comments on what they talked about int he "Breakout Session" and whats posted here http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5247p2.html

thanks for the post and compliment !

On those comments Darin, Polyphony are yet to reveal how many actual tracks exist within the game. The boys on GTPlanet have analyzed the tracks that we've been shown thus far 'which is something like 13 or 14' and the most number of configurations 'including the different layouts for La Sathe if included' totals something like 34 variations. Its fair to say that alot of the GT4 tracks would be quite easy to dress up in HD given that the actual track modeling is already complete and thus really only ambient textures need touching up.

Now the clue that they seem to assume from the 20 locations, is the fact that Prologue has a weather checker on specific locations on the "desk" screen that relate to real life tracks.

Obviously this is all speculation....

As for the review, I thought it was a good job given the limited track time you'd been given. I'm suspect about your reviews on the driving physics, given that I found the time trial demo at Christmas time to be not considerably better, but sufficiently better then Forza 3, but each to their own in that respect. But I concur with your impression on the surface to tyre feeling.

Forgot to add, Kazanori replied in an question asked e3 that customization will surpass that found in GT4.

Darin just one question I haven't seen answered online in any review, what did you think of the car engine sounds? This has been by far the weakest point for the entire Gran Turismo series since day 1. Please tell me were getting some good sounds this time.

--Adam

That head tracking is a big deal. If they come out with more racing sims, a flight sim and realistic shooter to use that with, I'll be buying a PS3. GT5 looks good, but I'm a little tired of the "jack of all trades, but master of none" game approach. Looks like Grid but 10 times the size. Not that a game like that can't be a lot of fun, but they just don't satisfy when you find a racing venue you'd like to stick with to explore more.

I'm with you on that one. This is probally my biggest complaint regarding games such as GT5 and FM3. However, I find this to be he case too with R-Factor. Particularly since ISR has been doing "The best top sim cars segaments." Every week I download a new sim from R-Factor Central - that is in the top 5 on this list. And, I end up liking the next car better than the last. LOL!!! I guess there are worse problems to have. Keep up the great work guys. Your whole production just keeps getting better than the last. By the way .... my above comment is sarcassim.... keep doing those best sim car segments. I love em.

You weed out all the garbage. By the way see if you can adding top sim tracks too.

Hey Darin & Shaun

Like all the other great episode!!!

Been away for a while. But, oddly enough I'm getting more time to sim race now a days!

Have a couple of questions for your guys related the NASCAR Series on this game? :?::?::?::?::?::?:

I starting getting into racing games and sims around 2007. After EA had acquired exclusive rights to NASCAR. So, for the most part all I've ever driven was an EA interpretation of how these cars should handle. And, for me, they never seemed just right. Even the R-Factor ISI mods handle in a way that just doesn't feel right. As an example: At Indy - I've always been able to set-up my car where I can shift down into 3rd and use the gears to slow me down. The same goes for most short flat track ovals. I've also played 3 different types of ISI mods, and a person can set their gears up this way too - without blowing the engine. And, I am one of those idiots that like a 500 mile race. Ideally though 250 miles at X2 wear.

Therefore, I'm really looking forward to Pylophony's take on it. I've seen some footage of you guys driving these cars and I also know you guys also have great experience at Stock Cars on Ovals, so what it your impression? Do they drive more like an ARCA Sim Racing or I-Racing Stock car?

These are two sims my pathetic computer won't handle. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Or is it just a product Sim Racing on Ovals that one can setup their gears to do this at both I-Racing and ARCA too? And, that I'm I never going to be able to get away from manipulating my gearing setups as mentioned above?

Hey Darin & Shaun

Like all the other great episode!!!

Been away for a while. But, oddly enough I'm getting more time to sim race now a days!

Have a couple of questions for your guys related the NASCAR Series on this game? :?::?::?::?::?::?:

I starting getting into racing games and sims around 2007. After EA had acquired exclusive rights to NASCAR. So, for the most part all I've ever driven was an EA interpretation of how these cars should handle. And, for me, they never seemed just right. Even the R-Factor ISI mods handle in a way that just doesn't feel right. As an example: At Indy - I've always been able to set-up my car where I can shift down into 3rd and use the gears to slow me down. The same goes for most short flat track ovals. I've also played 3 different types of ISI mods, and a person can set their gears up this way too - without blowing the engine. And, I am one of those idiots that like a 500 mile race. Ideally though 250 miles at X2 wear.

Therefore, I'm really looking forward to Pylophony's take on it. I've seen some footage of you guys driving these cars and I also know you guys also have great experience at Stock Cars on Ovals, so what it your impression? Do they drive more like an ARCA Sim Racing or I-Racing Stock car?

These are two sims my pathetic computer won't handle. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Or is it just a product Sim Racing on Ovals that one can setup their gears to do this at both I-Racing and ARCA too? And, that I'm I never going to be able to get away from manipulating my gearing setups as mentioned above?

Hi Jerret

Too early to tell.. I only drove the COT car briefly at Indy and the Top Gear track and it didn't feel like iRacing or Arca.. Much more tame.. It was fun though..

Darin