Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new DIY rig - WIP

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

i am looking into making a new rig, the one i have at the moment its made of wood and not sturdy at all.

Yesterday i installed google sketchup, and started fiddleling with it, and today this is where i am at:

rig_zps6f5f3b9c.png

The measurements are in meters, and aren't round numbers because, from what i have searched, google sketchup isn't that great when it comes to change dimensions of objects already created. :S

Aside from the obvious parts of the rig, i am planing to put the wheel that i have ( DFGT ), and fix it in the lowest support, and make a steering column, that will have a bearing in the top support ( NOT IN THE DESIGN YET ).

Well i just wanted to show you my ideas and ask for your opinions.

Thanks! :D

Hi,

I have a very-very similar DIY cockpit. I don't know, how tall U R, I'm 187 cm, and my rig is 1,5 meters long. For my height it is just tightly enough. I have reverse mounted pedals, it needs more space, and I really recommend to reverse mount them. But it depends on your real car, try to make everething as similar as possible (angles of pedals, distances, etc.). Width 58cm is absolutely ok, the height of the table is almost the same my wheel is appr. 60cm from the ground. In case of the seat height, eye level should be at the midpoint of your TV/screen/canvas, so if your screen is at a fixed furniture, you should pay attention to this!

If you have further questions, don't be shy:)

:)

hi,

i am 170cm tall, a little short :) , i just measured my current rig and it's 120cm long, so i made the change in my design as i feel confortable with the position.

here is the changes i have made today, added the wheel and steering column to give an idea of what i am going for:

rig_zps964504ee.png

no one is giving feedback, is that a good or a bad thing? :S

Thanks. :)

That means no one is interested in it :D

Kidding - imo it's quite a bit of an effort assessing a diy rig. There are so many ways to do things and you have to provide lots of information so others can understand what ideas are behind it. It's just pretty complex.

Without getting too much into detail there a a few things which pop up when I see this:

- As far as I know these reclining seats are usually mounted on an angle in a real car - so I'd do the same

- It might not be a bad idea to position that brace at the bottom differently to make it easier to get in and out

- I'd allow for adjustability of wheel support plate and pedal plate

May the down force be with you...always

Hi,

Thirsty is absolutely right in all of his points. I recommend these two articles about seating position:

http://axelerwast.free.fr/Kit-Car-Project-Graz/Documentation/Formula%20Race%20Car%20cockpit%20Design%20-%20Ergonomics%20study.pdf

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Seating_position

First, build a modell, a prototype with existing furnitures, pieces of wood, or whatever you can find, to see, how it feels, how comfortable it is, and based on these articles, try to find the best driving position. Measure, and then you can start to build the real rig. Adjustability is still important, for finetuning. For example, in the last 3 days I was rebuilding the pedal section of my rig, I took apart the factory G27 pedals, measured in my real car everthing, reinstalled them, tried it for a day, fineadjusted again, and so on, and at the end the difference was like climbing a mountain in slippers compared to a professional  boot. 

Have fun with the planning/building:)

Hi again guys!

Thirsty: in regard to the seat in the 3d, its just to fill the space, and see how it would look with my seat, as i resized the model to my seat's dimensions.

Brigetiol: as prototype, i have my old rig, below:

20131206_082457_zps38e9f5f0.jpg

20131206_082514_zps7d0430d8.jpg

It doesn't look nice, it suffered quite a few changes, from when i first made it.

Well, as the weekend came, i decided to go ahead i buy the metal.

I bought 12 meters of 25mm square tube, and started to cut and weld everything:

The measurements:

20131208_125530_zps83746d90.jpg

The progress:

20131207_141025_zps962a838c.jpg

20131207_154756_zps6f6259e4.jpg

20131207_154749_zpsc6030a16.jpg

20131208_114924_zps79965937.jpg

20131208_114933_zpsd471b122.jpg

As i am not the greatest welder in the planet, this was the most welding i did in one project and i'm just 20 years old, well things happen :D

20131208_115003_zpsfd38a390.jpg

20131208_122630_zpse557859a.jpg

20131208_145457_zps8592aaa8.jpg

The steering column is the just the front part of a scooter

20131208_145504_zps8b094f29.jpg

In place:

20131208_154920_zpsc70762b6.jpg

20131208_154943_zps4df1e008.jpg

20131208_165244_zpsc29e67d3.jpg

I am having a little problem with the connection of the steering column and the wheel base,

if someone as an idea of a design, i would love to hear your ideas/opinions.

Thanks!

Bye!

Hi,

You were not lazy on the weekend:) What exactly is the matter with the connection? You have the adatpter plate on the wheel base, and on the column too... This is what I can see from the pictures. You want to use a joint to make an angle between the two axis? I think, it's more simple, if you just bolt them together and let them have the same axis, at this point you can place the support for the wheel base anywhere, so that should't be a problem. Like on your old rig.

Best regards!

Hi,

my problem is, as things don't always line up perfectly, and in this case they don't, the wheel base moves a little too much as i turn the wheel and i don't think thats good for the bearings.

My idea at the moment is to fabricate some u-joints, like drive shafts have, as thats allows a bit of movement a enables me to mount the wheel base with a little angle.

I was looking in the forum to see if someone has a steering column setup, but i have found nothing.

Well guys, after some diy u-joint prototyping, i decided to just scrap the idea of making a steering column, as i don't have the machinery you guys have to make things with precision. Decided to just add some of the square tubing i used in the frame as a spacer between the adapter and the wheel.

Here some pics:

My Custom PC and my Plantronics headphones

20131215_160230_zpsdd46f8e0.jpg

The rig in place to see if things are good

20131215_160212_zps8c1dcfd7.jpg

20131215_160314_zps7f4c4b64.jpg

My modded DFGT, removed the right side where the shifter was, and moved the power and pedals connectors to the front.

The colored wires you see coming out are the wires of the connector that goes to the stock wheel, i have the face of the stock wheel

with the buttons atached or the wheel would just go crazy and unplayable, and was using it as a button box.

20131215_160328_zpsbbf4a4ac.jpg

The spacer

20131215_160340_zpsca1390d8.jpg

The drivers view

20131215_160250_zps96a9832a.jpg

As of now i don't have a shifter, i plan to do a plate for the wheel, and make shifter paddles, but will probably make a sequential first.

The rig as is is very sturdy, from what i have tested i don't feel the need for more side bracings as planed in the design and sugested by some of you.

Hope you like it! :D

Thanks!