Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quieter G27

23 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, it's been a while and I am back for some assistance and advice.

I currently have a G27 and it's making too much noise for my liking but only when the FFB is trying to spin the wheel left to right quickly (rally stage on GT5 for example) so I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make the wheel quieter, or should I start saving up for a quieter wheel?

It's normal for the G25 to make a noise, but with the G27 it had gotten better but still there is some noise, but wearing a headset i don't notice it. If it's turned off and the wheel makes a noise it's normal, if it's doing it when driving that shouldn't be doing that unless its faulty,

I've had mine for nearly a year now and I'm saving for a T500,

CHEERS! :D

Thanks for the reply Rick, I knew the G27 was going to make some noise still and for the most part its pretty quiet, its just as soon as I go off road in some sims it gets really loud, I can hear it plain as day over my Headset (my headset is open backed) and my Parents can hear it too downstairs but that could just be the sound traveling through the desk and through the floor boards, its almost as if their is play in the gears for the FFB.

Just had a look on youtube for some example video's of what I get and these two pretty much match up with what kind of noise I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoiNuTA6DcA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgSHDtk0eT0

Is your FFB set to very high in game? reset everything to default in the profiler. If that is not the case it may possibly be hardware failure, that is not normal at all. is it brand new or second hand? if it's still in warranty send it back. 

on GT5 I have the FFB as low as it will go without it being off and on the PC I usually have FFB 100% in the profiler but turned down to somewhere between 30-50% in game, I don't use strong FFB because of a knackered shoulder.

I got the wheel brand new beginning of the year (Feb I think).

is it best to go to logitech or where I bought it from? ( dabs.com )

If you can get a full refund i would or get them to send you another. If you can get the money, or if this has put you off the G27 get the T500 if you have some extra money. Just a stupid question here but how stable is the desk your mounted to? vibrations can really make things sound a lot worse then it actually is although it does appear to be a hardware failure.

Default profiler anyway if you have not done so already.

Ok i'll try and get in touch with dabs.com then soon and see if I can get a replacement, I'd love a T500 but I can't spare that kind of cash being unemployed at the moment. Do you think their would be any issue's if i remove the Nixim V2 Mod I have installed and just failed to mention that the pedals have been opened? 

My desk is pretty stable, it was a flat pack desk but it has a triangular construction making it pretty sturdy, but still vibrations don't do any favors.

Just tried giving the Wheel a wiggle while it's off and also on my lap and it's very very quiet and I can barely feel any play at all, but like the video's suggest its completely different when I am off road on GT5.

I'm not sure if the brake mod would effect it as i don't no much about them but remove it and try that.. As you have modded it i think the warranty has gone, unless you can convert everything back to how it was and "say no more" you may get away with a refund from the store. best bet is to not mess with it any more and get a refund asap and hopefully get a replacement.

well converting back to normal is easy to do so I will try that and say no more, besides the wheel is the issue not the pedals but i will contact Dabs tomorrow and see what my options are.

Thanks for the assistance tonight Rick.

It sounds nothing like my g27 it's fairly quiet I think desk rattle or items on the desk make it sound worse then it is, although as it is now if it only does it when turning right then I'd assume there's a problem but it doesn't sound healthy.

But yea it could just be how yours is but still worth taking it back I'd say.

Well the chatter/rattle on my wheel happens weather I am turning left or right off road or even heading in a straight line off road or hit a rumble strip, so basically if the if the wheel has to simulate any vibrations using the FFB I will get that chatter/rattle.

unfortunately hard mounting isn't an option for me since when I finish racing I need to be able to put the wheel away so I can use the PC normally.

No I haven't contacted the store yet, I have a few other things I need to sort out first, but like i said in an earlier post I play GT5 on the lowest FFB setting anyway and i still get the rattle/chatter, I haven't tried lowering it yet on the PC and probably won't get the chance till maybe tomorrow night, but if it does it on the lowest FFB setting on the PS3 I can't imagine it would be much different on the PC.

Finally got a message sent off to dabs so I should get a response soon, I also made a video which I'll put a link to down below of my wheel showing how noisy it is on a small section of Toscana rally course in GT5. I apologies for the terrible driving.

It could be a lose part but I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x733qi__N0k

well I have been advised to contact Logitech now by dabs and then go from their, might have to wait until next week though now since I am very busy during the opening times of logitech's phone service, I am suspecting that they might class this as fair wear and tare after speaking to my friend who has one and experienced the same issue.

Update to this, Logitech have agree'd to replace my wheel under warranty, its been ordered and I will get a conformation of it being dispatched to me within 48 hours :-) RESULT!!

Some words about both Dabs and Logitech's Customer service on the matter, both of them have been very good and I can't really fault them, although the Customer service adviser at dabs did send me the wrong support link at first but that was corrected very quickly, overall experience id say 9/10, probably would have been 10/10 if it wasn't for the slight mix up at Dabs and if the whole process was a bit quicker.

Don't expect too much though, my brand new one that I received sounded exactly the same and Logitech assured me it was in 100% working order, it's just the game that makes it sound much worse from what I can tell. But by all means if you can get a replacement as well go for it.