Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster Tx 458 Italia Community Reviews and Impressions

79 posts in this topic

Hello,

was told that the TH8 shifter worked... but by reading the review I saw the opposite... :(

Does someone tried the TH8 after the firmware update of the wheel?

Hope it will work!

Thank you!

Hello,

was told that the TH8 shifter worked... but by reading the review I saw the opposite... :(

Does someone tried the TH8 after the firmware update of the wheel?

Hope it will work!

Thank you!

The TH8RS is not compatible with this wheel

So I hooked up my TX and took it for a few laps around Summit in the MX5 and I can compare it to the CSR and give some other general thoughts. These are just some initial impressions with the stock rim. I've been running the CSR with a 330mm Momo Veloce, so a better comparison will have to wait once my DSD adapter arrives.

The TX has great FFB effects. I would use the words sharp, raw and precise. The CSR's FFB feels a bit muted in comparison (not necessarily a bad thing) and less quick to react (bad thing). I noticed right away the precise FFB made catching slides and about-to-spins easier on the TX. Obviously the more powerful motor and magnetic sensors in the TX are playing a part here, but I think Thrustmaster's and Fanatec's FFB algorithms are also quite different, at least from my own experience and what I've gathered reading about both companies' wheels. The CSR has smoother FFB delivery, something echoed across Fanatec's lineup, and I think raw vs. smooth comes down to personal preference. I'm not sure which I like better myself. I would love to try an Elite or CSW for the smoothness with increased FFB precision compared to their Porsche wheels.

The TX is very quiet. The CSR is comparable in operational noise (belts, gears, etc.) but the TX has a quieter fan. The CSR's fan isn't loud by any means, but it's one of those dinky 40mm units with a slight clicking whine to it. Whether using speakers or headphones during racing the fan can't be heard, so whatever. Still, the TX is as quiet as you'll get with a wheel.

The base is ginormous. A T500RS would never work on my Obutto Ozone the way I'd want (ability to slide wheel all the way down during normal computer use; it would hit the bottom of the monitor on the way down). Also, a T500RS base would certainly block some of my screen. At my operational wheel height, the TX wheel base is just short enough to not block any viewing area.

Would it have hurt Thrustmaster to put a power button somewhere on the base? Jesus. At least it powers down when the USB is unplugged, so I can run a USB extension cable up to the wheel-deck and control power that way. Still... dumb design decision.

Rim is comparable in material quality to the CSR stock rim (crap), but it feels a bit better in my hands. Obviously, it's no match for the 330mm Momo leather wheel.

Can't wait to get my DSD adapter.

So I hooked up my TX and took it for a few laps around Summit in the MX5 and I can compare it to the CSR and give some other general thoughts. These are just some initial impressions with the stock rim. I've been running the CSR with a 330mm Momo Veloce, so a better comparison will have to wait once my DSD adapter arrives.

The TX has great FFB effects. I would use the words sharp, raw and precise. The CSR's FFB feels a bit muted in comparison (not necessarily a bad thing) and less quick to react (bad thing). I noticed right away the precise FFB made catching slides and about-to-spins easier on the TX. Obviously the more powerful motor and magnetic sensors in the TX are playing a part here, but I think Thrustmaster's and Fanatec's FFB algorithms are also quite different, at least from my own experience and what I've gathered reading about both companies' wheels. The CSR has smoother FFB delivery, something echoed across Fanatec's lineup, and I think raw vs. smooth comes down to personal preference. I'm not sure which I like better myself. I would love to try an Elite or CSW for the smoothness with increased FFB precision compared to their Porsche wheels.

The TX is very quiet. The CSR is comparable in operational noise (belts, gears, etc.) but the TX has a quieter fan. The CSR's fan isn't loud by any means, but it's one of those dinky 40mm units with a slight clicking whine to it. Whether using speakers or headphones during racing the fan can't be heard, so whatever. Still, the TX is as quiet as you'll get with a wheel.

The base is ginormous. A T500RS would never work on my Obutto Ozone the way I'd want (ability to slide wheel all the way down during normal computer use; it would hit the bottom of the monitor on the way down). Also, a T500RS base would certainly block some of my screen. At my operational wheel height, the TX wheel base is just short enough to not block any viewing area.

Would it have hurt Thrustmaster to put a power button somewhere on the base? Jesus. At least it powers down when the USB is unplugged, so I can run a USB extension cable up to the wheel-deck and control power that way. Still... dumb design decision.

Rim is comparable in material quality to the CSR stock rim (crap), but it feels a bit better in my hands. Obviously, it's no match for the 330mm Momo leather wheel.

Can't wait to get my DSD adapter.

excellent comparison!!

i think i did the right choise to keep my CSR (standard) and mod it with several rims and quick release systems. Looks like the TX isn't that much better than the CSR.

The TH8RS is not compatible with this wheel

Thank you for your answer :)

Do you think it could be in the future? When the TH8A will be available...

T500 pedals "are not compatible" on the box, but they finally are (perhaps because the T3PA are available)...

TH8RS and TH8A use different plugs, where the RS plugs directly into your PS3/PC via USB, the 8A plugs straight into the TX. SO, if you are a XBONE player, hold out for the 8A, however if you're a PC user, get a TH8RS,

I got my Tx458 today from radio shack. Here are my thoughts on it.

I am a complete noob at sim racing...but always enjoyed racing games.   I had the Xbox wheel for X360, but havent played anything since Forza 2/3.  Its probably been 5 years since I have played a racing game of any kind (been focused on Starcraft 2 the last few years).

I opened the box and noticed a receipt saying I can only return it via mail, and not to a retail Radio Shack store.  That sucks because with the high failure rate I have seen with this wheel (based on amazon reviews and various forums) I was hoping for an easy return method if it turns out to be a dud.  Just an FYI if you are planning on ordering from Rat Shack.

Firmware update took less than 5 minutes and I made no adjustments in the PC control panel. I have no wheel stand yet so I just clamped it to the coffee table.  Then I plugged her in to the Xbox, powered up the wheel then the Xbox.....and none of the buttons on the wheel worked.   The Xbox guide button on the base unit worked however.  I rebooted the xbox and started forza back up...got an error that I needed to insert the Forza disk in drive....it was already in the drive. I took the disk out, put it back in, same error.  So I tried powering down the Xbox and the wheel and starting fresh.

After another reboot everything worked.

I went into Forza, set DOR to 540 and FFB strength to 65%.  No other changes.

I then turned 10 laps at Indy GP using a C class BMW 1M.  My best time with the controller is pretty decent, I think it was top 1% last I checked.  After 10 laps, I was 2 seconds slower than my best time.  I was expecting to be alot slower than that, so I was really happy with it.

Being able to make small adjustments to speed and steering while in sweeping corners is something that I find really hard with the controller.  Indy GP has a couple of corners like this.  With the Tx458 I was able to stay on the racing line so much easier.  And its also alot easier to feel when you are about to lose traction.

The force-feedback is very smooth.  My only comparison is the Xbox360 wheel, which cogged like a mother.  The Tx458 feels amazing by comparison.  After 10 laps, I started messing around doing drifting and donuts and stuff to really give the FFB motors a workout (I want this thing to fail in the first 30 days if its gonna fail).  I thrashed her around until my arms got tired and it was still pulling really strong.  The cooling fan kicked in (its not very loud), and stays on even after you turn off the Xbox.

I used the stock wheel, but have the GTE rim that I will be trying out later ( I wanted to at least use the stock rim once to have something to compare the GTE to).  

The Tx458 pedals do feel cheap, but once I started racing I got used to them quickly and dont feel they are a hindrance at all.  They will get the job done until the T3PA set is released.

So other than the initial boot-up where the buttons were dead, it has performed flawlessly.  I am really happy with it, and cant wait to get my Wheel Stand Pro (should arrive on Monday).

My only real gripe is that there is no place to plug in the Xbox headset, and you apparently cannot use a 2nd controller when the wheel is plugged in....so no voice chat unless you use the Kinect as a microphone.  WTF was Thrustmaster thinking not including a place to plug in a headset on an Xbox One branded wheel??  

Overall this thing is a beast and I hope to get alot of miles out of it.  

Is it just me or do these wheels seem to be made of un-obtainium at the moment? At least here in Australia.

None are in stock in the whole country and most retailers are telling me they can't guarantee any delivery day and at best they suggest "hopefully this month".

How long do you think until these wheels are freely available? I guess it also comes down to how much the local distributor is willing to fight for.

That's the same situation in Canada. There was an initial shipment, wheels were sold within 24-48hrs and nothing since. I ordered mine from the States, and after shipping and duty it was still a bit cheaper than what I would have payed for one in Canada (if I even had the chance, that is). Thrustmaster still honors warranties in these cases (at least if it's inter-Canada/US sales; not sure about other countries), so there was no hesitation on my part.

I have two guesses: 1) volume is low because production was rushed for the wheel to be released with the XOne, or 2) With so many reported problems Thrustmaster decided to pull back volume and revise the wheel. Of course, 1 logically can precede 2.

I could also be completely off-base. Still lots of places in the States that have wheels in stock.

I've spent many late nights building my 1st simulator. Today, after doing the final touches on my rig today I brought it in from my shop and set it up in my theater room. I was so pumped up with excitement. All I had to do is do the update and I was good to go. At least I thought. I bought the tx 458 off of Amazon. I've seen a lot of good reviews.

Well, I plugged the power in, and plugged in the usb into my computer to do the update. A few seconds after plugging the power in, I noticed a burnt electrical smell. Then it would turn off in about 10 seconds, Overheating? After unplugging and plugging the power back in to try and fight to get the update, I finally gave up. The burning electrical smell was too much.

I emailed tech support,and requested a refund from Amazon. Should I take a chance and order another thrustmaster? or go with the new Mad catz? Or wait for fanatec to come out with a wheel for my xbox one?

I've spent many late nights building my 1st simulator. Today, after doing the final touches on my rig today I brought it in from my shop and set it up in my theater room. I was so pumped up with excitement. All I had to do is do the update and I was good to go. At least I thought. I bought the tx 458 off of Amazon. I've seen a lot of good reviews.

Well, I plugged the power in, and plugged in the usb into my computer to do the update. A few seconds after plugging the power in, I noticed a burnt electrical smell. Then it would turn off in about 10 seconds, Overheating? After unplugging and plugging the power back in to try and fight to get the update, I finally gave up. The burning electrical smell was too much.

I emailed tech support,and requested a refund from Amazon. Should I take a chance and order another thrustmaster? or go with the new Mad catz? Or wait for fanatec to come out with a wheel for my xbox one?

You got a bad one, unlucky, but it's not like they're all bad, I'd just get another one. If you feel like the MadCatz will be better tho you can always wait! As for Fanatec, well, if you wait for a real long time it MIGHT happen... but probably not.

Get another TX.  Trust me, the hassle will be worth it.

OK, another TX it is. I searched all over and nobody has one close to me. I'll order another one from Amazon.

After searching online for troubleshooting my issue, I was amazed at how many others have there wheels burnt out. I feel as though I have a 50% chance of having a working wheel. WOW, talk about a quality control issue. I'm curious, anyone know what burns up on the inside? Is it something we can fix after the warranty is up?

Thrustmaster actually has a pretty decent rep for QC, I know I've never gotten a defective TM item... and I know that if you look online MadCatz and (certainly!) Fanatec don't fare any better!

Truth is, if you go by online impressions, everything ever made has a disastrous failure rate. You know why? Because when something fails to meet your expectations your first impulse is to let EVERYONE know about it, typically not maliciously, but it might result in "Oh, you know what fixes that?" or at least not feeling like it's only you... but very rarely does someone bother to post,  "Hey, I bought this item and it's working fine." in numbers even close to that. 

It's interesting that if you go online looking at electronics failure rates that they really aren't as low as people would expect, reportedly as high as 20% (for electronics in general) in the first few years, so you have up to a 1/5 chance every time you buy an item that within a few years it will fail. The out of box failure rate can be as high as 3% to 5% too (and that's why the manufacturers warranties exist!) so for every one of those bad impressions, up to 32 other peoples wheels are just fine.

The new wheel came yesterday. The new ones don't require an update. I played for almost 6 hours. I kept telling myself " oh what the hell, one more race, then I'll go to bed".

I love this wheel!!

I too have a Thrustmaster TX and have owned the Fanatec Turbo S ,CSR Elite ,GT2,GT3,CSR,CSW with F1 and BMW rim and the T500.

I think the Tx wheel rim is infinitely nicer than any of the Fanatec plastic rims which have very poor rigidity (CSR's).  I even prefer the Tx rim to the original T500 rim. The only thing some may not like is the Tx rim is 11 inches across. Shifter paddles and buttons are very well placed on the TX for easy access.

Overall it is smoother than the T500 but not quite as powerful. I had to increase my FFB strength some in some games but not a deal breaker for me. Never used high FFB anyway. Base size is quite a bit smaller than the T500 but the mounting holes are exactly like big brother.

The pedals are also functional and not as bad as they look 

HI racerz, I've got an GT2 wheel, I'm having trouble with. I like to run the "Super Speedways" in iracing. With this wheel I CAN NOT hold a straight line running at the high speeds with the GT2. I'm having a lot of "Wobble or Wondering" with it. Have you ever used this 458 wheel in anything like I'm talking about? If so how does it do on Long straight-a-way's? I'm at a complete loss on what wheel to buy as I (and a lot of friends have tried to help me also) have done everything to try to adjust the "Wobble" out of my wheel with NO success at all. Any info on this would really be Appreciated A lot. Thanks you.

Here is my review :

Background : Simracer since 2005/6 , had very cheap wheels staring from Dexxa wheel in the late 90's . In 2007 I bought the G25 and started some serious racing. I had G25/G27/Fanatec 911GT2 and Fanatec CSR and now I have the Thrustmaster TX ! . I mainly race in iRacing and Assetto Corsa but I spent a lot of time in the past racing in GT5 , FM4 , RBR ,rF ,LFS. I'm also a drifter . 

Quick review : 

1 : Stock wheel rim 458 italia :
Score : 4/10 

I knew it was gonna be plasticky but it's way more plasticky and cheap than I expected . The wheel is too small for me , maybe it is 28cms, same as the G25/G27, but in terms of handling the 458 wheel feels smaller than the Logitechs ( Im 190cm tall ) . I prefered the CSR wheel rim much more - I made some small modifications to the CRS, like I glued in the alcantara of a better than stock quality and installed a carbon-fiber surface on the black, shiny plastic areas. 

The rubber is very grippy , nice for racing but bad for drifting, imho. While racing it's getting very hot and your arms are sweating . 
The paddle shifters - positive click is not bad, around the same as in the CSR but the size of the paddles is way too small for me. The length of the paddles is even worse . There is almost no bottom sector and they are way shorter than the CSR paddles (loved CSR paddles ), which doesn't feel right to me. 

A perfect wheel rim for me would be the GT T500RS rim with good paddles attached to the rim. I'm considering the GTE wheel rim, but Im afraid it's gonna be too small for me as well . 

2 : Stock 2 Pedal set : 

Score 5,5/10

Well, it's a little bit better than I expected. Feels better than my old G25 pedal set. The brake pedal face is big and nice. I had difficulty installing it to my Wheel Stand Pro (love it), because the screw holes are completelly obscured by the WSP pipes. So I had to visit a hardware shop to buy some stuff to properly install this pedal set .
I have already ordered a second-hand T500 RS pedals set and can't wait to try them . 

3 : Wheel Base

Score : 9,5/10

I have read and watched a lot of reviews of the TX and I knew the pedals and the rim would not be as good as the Base. Everything I've heard about how good the base feels is true. The FF is just amazing, strong, smooth as silk, and uber fast. It is the fastest wheel I have tried, the FF feels just from a different league compered even to the CSR. There are lot of additional FF effects that don't exist at all in any of the wheels I have mentioned previously. Both racing and drifting are way easier, smooth , and controlable, but most of all - it's way more FUN! If you ask me - does this the wheel make you faster - YES ! Is this wheel is better for drifting ? YES - A LOT !

Two things why I didn't give the base the 10/10 score. Firstly, it doesn't have a power on/off switch, so you have to turn it off by unplugging the power cable; secondly, after 2-3 drift laps on Mugello in AC the fan inside the base started to work and it is very noisy ! In CSR I was able to make a 70 mins race in GT3 and I didn't even hear whether the fan was on or off . In the TX it spins up very soon and it's really noticeable . I'm a bit concerned, beacuse if that wheel heats up so fast, then how long will it last ? I will write an email to Thrustmaster to ask if I can replace the fan for a better quality fan on my own without losing the guarantee. 
If this base does not break down any time soon - so if it survives to like mid-2016 I will be extreamly happy . In that period of time I hope I will collect enough money for the AccuForce wheel by SimXperience .

Sorry for my english its not my native :)

PS : Huge Thanks to Inside Sim Racing crew for making pro reviews and awesome show . You made me decide to buy CSR ( Shawn Cole's wheel of choice by that time ) . I was very satisfied with CSR and now you made me buy TX . U also made me buy AccuForce lol , but idk when I will be able to ! Darin too bad u have splited with Shawn , I miss him in ISR .

HI Qusso,

I really liked your review on the TM TX wheel. I've got a question for you on it. I see you were using a Fanatec GT2 wheel at one time to. Just how does the TX wheel compare to the GT2 is it as smooth and are you able to feel things in it as well as the GT2? And, which one are you more happy with? I'm having some trouble with my GT2 wheel and looking for another one to use on Oval tracks mainly. I'd just like you opinion between these 2 wheels IF, you don't mind. Thanks in advance for any info.

Quasso - The GTE rim is fine, I thought it'd be too small too but it's pretty comfortable. Sadly you can't swap "stock" rims between the TX and the T500 without there being button conflicts. You MIGHT be able to work around them in SOME games, but overall, I just don't recommend it.