Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster Tx 458 Italia Community Reviews and Impressions

79 posts in this topic

So, my TX wheel arrived yesterday, and overall I like it a lot.

I only had time to play for about an hour or so last night after getting the firmware updated and setting it up on my wheel stand, but it was definitely a good hour. This wheel is replacing my old Fanatec gear -- a CSR wheel, CSR Elite Pedals, and a CSR shifter set -- and by and large it compares quite favorably.

First, the low points: 

As pictures indicate, it's definitely very plastic and toylike in appearance, which is a big downgrade from the very classy look and feel of my Fanatec gear (well, everything but the Fantatec shifters, which were jarringly plastic and toylike next to the wheel and pedals). That said, it does NOT feel cheap or flimsy -- while there is a lot of plastic, it's good, solid plastic and it feels well constructed and durable.

Also, the fact that there isn't even the most tentative of pricing or availability information for the 3 pedal set and H-shifter addons is definitely a frustration. Yes, these things actually make most kinds of driving a lot more challenging, but they also just make it more fun, and I'll be a lot happier with the wheel overall when I have the option of using them. As I said earlier, please, Thrustmaster, hurry up and take more of my money!

Now, onto the good stuff:

While the rim is definitely the biggest offender in the "looks like a toy" category, it does feel quite good. While I prefer the feel of the suede grips on the CSR wheel, the texturized rubber is high quality, comfortable, and grippy. Also, the button quality and layout are excellent. Every button is well built: they have good positive click responses when pressed, and feel very sturdy and (as with everything about the wheel) durable, which definitely couldn't be said about many of the face buttons on my CSR wheel. That is also true of the shifter paddles -- very hefty metal construction, nice positive click, and an appropriate amount of travel. Of course, the CSR also had very nice paddles, and it's hard to say which I prefer since I no longer have the CSR for direct comparison., but these are definitely good. 

As for the layout, while it is a bit odd at first that the X, Y, B, and A buttons aren't in the standard cross formation, I was actually sold pretty quickly once I used the wheel. Their large size and smart positioning mean that as with every other button on the wheel (except maybe the "manettino" switch on the lower right) they can quickly and easily be pressed with your thumbs without looking with your hands still holding the wheel. Also worth noting is that the rim actually features essentially three extra buttons compared to a normal xbox controller (or to the CSR), and the base has one more still.  Currently these extra buttons just duplicate existing functions in Forza (as do two that should be the stick click, I think), but documentation on the Thrustmaster support site seems to indicate that the next title update for Forza might include additional mapping options to take advantage of these extra buttons (and, obviously, the buttons are all immediately usable if you are connecting the wheel to a PC). 

Especially exciting to me was that there are actually two buttons hidden away on either side of the back of the rim, right where your ring finger naturally rests if you have your index and middle fingers on the paddles.  Currently they double for the paddle functions, and presumably they are meant to map to the left and right stick clicks, but the positioning could be quite useful if they were opened up and freely mappable. 

And then there is the wheel base itself. The CSR had good force feedback for sure, but this is much, much better. It's smooth, consistent, and crazy powerful -- in fact, it's so strong that when I took a very hard turn, the torque loosened the swivel on the post of my wheel stand. Obviously I've not used the T500, but this definitely feels in the ballpark of the crazy force I've seen demonstrated from that wheel in videos -- which again lends credence to the theory that this is essentially a T500 base modified to work with the Xbox One. Anyway, it feels really, really great driving Forza out of the box without any tweaking of settings, but again, there is documentation that seems to indicate that an upcoming title update in Forza will include improvements to their force feedback implementation and to the available configuration options (including the ability to set the degrees of rotation, which is currently locked at 900).

Finally, the pedals. As with the rest of the set, while they are certainly plastic, they are a very solid plastic, and the metal pedal faces definitely give them a bit of extra credibility. Much more importantly, they have a much better feel than I was expecting. They have a good travel distance and nice resistance, with the brake being appropriately stiffer and shorter than the gas. While none of that is adjustable in any way, they're essentially how I would want them anyway -- but each person's mileage will certainly vary on that count. Also, it remains to be seen how long they will retain this excellent feel, but something tells me they will at least hold out until whenever the 3 pedal set becomes available, at which time they will go in the closet and serve as a capable backup set.

Again, since I no longer have my Fanatec gear it's hard to give a precise comparison to my old CSR Elite pedals, but clutch pedal aside, I certainly don't feel like it's a huge downgrade, as I expected I would. The CSR-E pedals are obviously highly adjustable, and just about every aspect of pedal positioning, stiffness, throw, etc can be tweaked and dialed in to match the user's preference, which is extremely valuable, but again, these pedals feel well tuned for my tastes out of the gate.  Also, the CSR-E brake pedal uses a load cell to measure braking pressure which makes them much more accurate in theory, but at least in the short time I had to play with these I didn't feel terribly hampered by that distance -- braking was plenty smooth, clean, and accurate for my (admittedly low) skill level.

Anyway, that's my initial thoughts on the TX wheel.  It's the only game in town until February if you want a wheel for Forza 5 and the Xbox One, but it's a damn good game at least at first blush (and it doesn't hurt that it's also a pretty decent wheel for PC use as well).  I have no idea how it would feel to someone coming from a CSR Elite wheel, or a Clubsport Wheel, or even a G27 or T500, but coming from the standard CSR wheel it feels like a nice upgrade to me, with the exception of the cosmetic appearance. 

FYI, yesterday I read somewhere there will be adjustable degrees of rotation and enhanced FFB in the next Forza update.

Yeah, if you dig around in the materials on the Thrustmaster support site you'll find a few places where something to that effect is eluded to.

Even though it doesn't say that it supports the PS3.  Has anyone tried plugging it in and trying it with GT5?  I'd like to hear more about how it performs on the PC.  If it works on the PS3 or PS4 magically(or appearing as the T500rs, that would be so awesome), I'd have to seriously consider this in my wheel upgrade path.  

Even though it doesn't say that it supports the PS3.  Has anyone tried plugging it in and trying it with GT5?  I'd like to hear more about how it performs on the PC.  If it works on the PS3 or PS4 magically(or appearing as the T500rs, that would be so awesome), I'd have to seriously consider this in my wheel upgrade path.  

If there were a demo for either GT5 or GT6 on PSN, I'd love to test that out. Hell, I'm actually somewhat tempted to go down to the Gamestop and see if they have a copy of the game in the bargain bin. 

Do you know if the T500 was supported in GT5 Prologue, or just in the full game? Gamestop.com says I might be able to find a copy of that at my local store for $3, a price I'm willing to pay to test this out.  (I'm less interested in paying the $20 or so they seem to be asking for the full game.)

"zeroKFE" how is the noise of the wheel.  I know T500 wasn't all that loud so I assume this wheel would be even quieter with brushless motor.  Also compare to fanatec is there any give or play in the wheels shaft?  I know with cheaper plastic fanatec wheels there was always give and play in the rim itself with the base.  

"zeroKFE" how is the noise of the wheel.  I know T500 wasn't all that loud so I assume this wheel would be even quieter with brushless motor.  Also compare to fanatec is there any give or play in the wheels shaft?  I know with cheaper plastic fanatec wheels there was always give and play in the rim itself with the base.  

I only have the CSR to compare to, but it's very quiet by those standards.  Whereas the CSR had a constant fan hum and a noticeable whirring inside the base when force was applied to the wheel, I essentially hear nothing when the TX is on and idling, and a much quieter whir when the wheel is forced to turn. 

As for play in the shaft, I didn't notice anything like that, but I wasn't especially looking. Once the quick release rim was secured in place, it felt like one solid piece of gear. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the only thing that couldn't handle the competition of forces between my arms and the wheel's feedback was the swivel in the post of my wheel stand, which rotated a bit when I turned especially hard -- but that's not the TX's fault. :D

thx for the feedback again.  sounds like a great wheel for the price.  I can handle cheaper rim since there will be other options out there and there are always chances to go custom unlike fanatec CSW.  

Just placed my order from amazon, you guys convinced me this is the way to go!

Haven't played a racing game since gt3 but picked up an xbox one with forza on release day and have been desperately wanting a proper setup since. Cnt rig getting delivered next week. I won't be back home until 12/8 so hopefully the wheel is delivered on the 6th so I can try it out as soon as I get back.

I too have a Thrustmaster TX and have owned the Fanatec Turbo S ,CSR Elite ,GT2,GT3,CSR,CSW with F1 and BMW rim and the T500.

I think the Tx wheel rim is infinitely nicer than any of the Fanatec plastic rims which have very poor rigidity (CSR's).  I even prefer the Tx rim to the original T500 rim. The only thing some may not like is the Tx rim is 11 inches across. Shifter paddles and buttons are very well placed on the TX for easy access.

Overall it is smoother than the T500 but not quite as powerful. I had to increase my FFB strength some in some games but not a deal breaker for me. Never used high FFB anyway. Base size is quite a bit smaller than the T500 but the mounting holes are exactly like big brother.

The pedals are also functional and not as bad as they look 

hmm not quite as powerful at T500.  Well thats not what I wanted to hear but at least it is smoother :D

It's quite a bit smoother than the T500 I would put it as stronger than the G27 and only slightly weaker than the t500 at the previous settings I was using. I was still able to get plenty of FFB out of it so I am happy with it My Sam Maxwell Momo rim also works just fine with it

There is going to be a firmware update mid December from Thrustmaster and Forza to add some force feed back improvements and some on the fly wheel adjustments. I own a Csr Elite and I must say I am very impressed with the TX wheel . I have G27 pedals with the Perfect Pedal mod I did try to install them to the TX wheel but no luck . Unless there is some type of procedure one has to do so that it recognizes a 3 pedal set. I also have a th8rs shifter with a bodin adapter that I had hooked up to my Csr Elite wheel . Hooked it up to the TX wheel and no luck again, not sure if the wheel has firmware that allows for a shifter or if maybe a future update once the 3 pedal set comes out will allow for a shifter.

What do I think about the Ferrari Tx wheel for the Xbox One.I've used  it on and off since Wednesday Let start with  the look of the wheel , at a glance out of the box looks a bit toyish. To my surprise far from being toyish ! The wheel it self has lots of plastic on it , I do like the rubber grips on the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position and also the metal paddle shifters . Once you drive with it , that feeling goes away immediately . The wheel base also lots of plastic , The reason for me  noticing the plastic is because the  only wheel I can compare it to is my CSR Elite whichis  90% metal . Not a fair comparison when it comes to material used for the build. I do remember my first wheel G27 that also was mostly plastic except the wheel. What you  want to know is how does it perform, and for that I must say excellent !This wheel has excellent FFB and you feel every bump, crack  and air born jumps when the wheels come off the ground it actually feels like your coming off the ground ," seriously!" that's something I can say I've never felt on the CSR Elite. With the TX the rumble strips feel like rumble strips when the car your driving hits the grass or sand it actually feels  real ,and boy oh boy when the tires get back on pavement  you better be ready to control the wheel . The pedals are pretty nice with some good resistance . Of course the 3 pedal set coming soon will probably be better but for now these work just fine. Now for compatibility with other peripherals . I have TH8R shifter from Thrustmaster which is for the T500 wheel , does not work with the TX wheel and my G27 pedals don't work also(I'm using the fanatec adapter which has a similar connection as the pedals that came with the TX wheel). I think they probably will in the future simply because this wheel will have firmware updates as the  new parts for the wheel start being available such as the 3 piece pedal set and the shifter. I could be wrong. I am getting the Ferrari GTE add on wheel next week which is a much sturdier wheel that has a lot less plastic on it. So in closing this a excellent wheel. Now for my pro and cons list.

Pros:

Excellent  force feed back

Very responsive

Easy set up

Firmware updates  with easy install

Affordable compared to other wheels on the market

Interchangeable wheels and pedal

PC compatible

Con:

Lots of plastic

Wheel diameter small (for my hands)

No clutch pedal

Settings for wheel only able to adjust on a PC ( CSR Elite / CSR on the wheel)

Final thoughts I am enjoying this wheel greatly ! It is a very good all around performer. If they ever make my CSR elite wheel compatible(Don't think it will happen) with Xbox One I may keep it still in the event that my CSR takes a crap. You will not be disappointed  with this wheel. See you on the track!

Curious about this as well. Since it has a PC mode, I'd think it should work with the PS3 at least but want to know for sure before I purchase one.

Curious about this as well. Since it has a PC mode, I'd think it should work with the PS3 at least but want to know for sure before I purchase one.

The TM drivers aren't the same as generic USB drivers... it'd be cool as heck, but I don't think it would work,

So do the T500 pedals and TH8 work with this TX wheel? If so I'd be tempted to swap the TX base with my current T500 base, then keep my Sam Maxwell wheel, T500 pedals and Bodin load cell.

The peddles work, the TH8RS currently does not. Perhaps TM will release an adapter. If not, it seems like an easy mod for Basher, John, etc. Are you planning to race on console or something?