Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Revive your NFS Shift

12 posts in this topic

NFS Shift offers a boat load of cars and awesome graphics but it is plagued by ill handling cars and other minor flaws. However there are mods available that correct the handling, make the tracks look even better than the originals, correct the steering wheel shake (on the screen AND physically for ff wheels), make the wheel rotation 1 for 1 on screen, change the banners and advertisements to make the tracks more realistic, removal of people (for a little improvement on frame rates) and make the AI cars “nicer” to race with.

With the mods I installed, listed below, this game/sim is breathtaking. For me I don’t race online with others much and I don’t like adjusting car setups, I just like to fire up the pc, get in to some of my favorite cars and drive. These mods make a huge improvement but I know it won’t be for the hardcore sim racers because there are limitations with the Sharp Mod v5.02. For instance in the readme text it says “It is always better to use cars not upgraded, and when you want a stronger car take another model. Upgrades bring more power but often give not so enjoyable handling” But that being said I can honestly say this is the most enjoyable racing game/sim for racing AI opponents or simply driving alone and from what I’ve read it works online without issue.

If you are interested I will help as much as I can but go to NoGrips NFSS forum and read some of the posts. Of course there are good and bad comments but I say “you will not be disappointed.“

If you decide to do these mods I recommend:

1. Make a mirror image of your hard drive. Once I get my gaming pc to enjoyable status I always make a mirror image of it onto another hard drive for a peace of mind as it takes some tinkering to get things working right, as you know. I use Acronis but Windows 7 can make an image also. If you don’t do that at least do a manual restore point and backup you your NFSS game/driver profile.

2. Do a separate NFSS install (not hard to do if you have the hard drive space) and apply the official v1.02 patch. I did a separate install just to have something to fall back on besides my hard drive backup. I have a un-modded install and a modded install.

3. Unpack the game http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166542. Although most mods can be installed without unpacking the game I found it worthwhile to unpack it (the better shift visual mod is for unpacked only and it is well worth it!). Unpacking the game is the only thing that takes some time. Trust me you will not be disappointed doing all of this!

4. Download, READ AND FOLLOW the readme text for each mod.

Mods I installed:

Unofficial Community Patch v1-03

Sharp tyres mod v5.02

Better Shift Visuals mod Part 1 and 2

Factory Colours Mod

Kindlier AI Mod

No arms -More wheel rotation -No wheel shake

Crowd Removal

Thanks for the info, McClusky.

I bought the game on Steam the other day and I've been having issues; the game will randomly crash on a load on every 5th or 6th race. Do you know if the patch helps with any of the crash issues?

Do you also know if these will work well with the steam version of the game?

Edit: I just installed the community patch and at least I can say the game runs. I'll come back with the results once I've tried it some more. :D

I just noticed these the other day, they've got me interested in Shift again. I saw the sharp tires mod, but it had a note that it was no longer supported and not available for download. Is there another version by another modder, or is the one you have available somewhere else? I'd like to get that one.

I just noticed these the other day, they've got me interested in Shift again. I saw the sharp tires mod, but it had a note that it was no longer supported and not available for download. Is there another version by another modder, or is the one you have available somewhere else? I'd like to get that one.

Sorry - I haven’t been checking this post lately - anyway the guy who created the Sharp Mod pulled it from NoGrip BUT there is a new Mod called Overhaul Mod. It’s a collection of mods that make the handling much better than the stock install. Here is a quote from the read me txt in the mod "This mod is a convenient and effective collection of tweaks/fixes/addons to mod various aspects of Shift. Car handling is less forgiving (more difficult) compared to default game and community patch."

When I first tried this mod I did not like it as I was use to the Sharp Mod but when I went back to the Sharp Mod I thought it drove too easy so now I'm doing a fresh install of NFS Shift so I can have a untouched install, a Sharp Mod install and a install with the Overhaul Mod (thank God for large hard drives).

If you are interested in the Sharp Mod let me know and I will give you a link to download it.

Just to clarify - The Sharp Mod (still available) and the Overhaul Mod both improve the handling of NFSS. But apparently the Sharp Mod caused some issue with car upgrades and such where the Overhaul Mod does not. Here is another quote from the guy who put together the Overhaul Mod "I've given up modding the tyres (Sharp Mod), it's an unfinished job - so I've actually gone back to using unmodded tyres, but with a collection of mods/fixes/tweaks to significantly improve the handling in Shift without introducing problems. So, obviously the tyres are as the developers made them, they feel less sharp... if you've used Sharp mod lots like me then when you turn into a corner for the first time your initial impression might be "Whoa! Understeer!" and your driving style will need to adjust. But all cars feel drivable, turbo upgrades are enabled again and AI don't flip"

I made the change by going over to the Overhaul Mod and it was worth uninstalling, reinstalling, unpacking and applying the mod (sounds like a lot but its really not). The handling is better than the Sharp Mod and now I can use the nitrous! The sharp mod, as mentioned, did cause some issues, like upgrading to nitrous and others, but even with those issues the shape mod made the game fun.

Try it guys, this game has awesome graphics and now with the Overhaul Mod (even the Sharp Mod) the game is ever so close to the Sim it should have been.

Great thread Mac. Quick question....do any of these mods cause any compatibility issues with online play? I'm someone who hates racing offline.

According to the forums at NoGrip no one has reported any issues, in fact I asked that same question before I dived in and the response was "no issues at all"

I think you will be happy with the results...

NOTE: if you have the hard drive space make a copy of the whole NFSS directory (so you have something to fall back on) then do the mods.