Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel & T3PA Pedals First Images + Unboxing Vid

125 posts in this topic

One thing to consider is that the firmware for the T500RS and TX seem to be the same, so we may see a new firmware for the T500 soon that may allow the wheel to work

EDIT: I just wanted to add in some of my thoughts now that I've seen more of the TX. I feel that Thrustmaster is attemping the same approach that Fanatec has taken with the modularity, but trying to place it in a lower price point. I find it interesting how the Facebook page calls it the "Thrustmaster X Team", which gives me shades of Logitech's "G" Series, so I'm wondering if we'll see more in the X department.

However, I feel that Thrustmaster has made some questionable choices with the choices, which MAY be linked to the licensing with Microsoft and Ferrari. Since the 458 Italia has a semi-automatic gearbox, the real car has 2 pedals, and Thrustmaster, bound to the realism the license may have required, had to use a 2 pedal set. Fanatec's license was with the Porsche 911, which utilizes an H shifter, so a clutch would be permissible, because a clutch pedal is in the 911s.

The add-on 3 pedal set could have been where Thrustmaster shone, yet they decided to be conservative, and I think it may hurt them. We know that they were developing and experimenting with the load cell technology, yet the T300RS pedal set doesn't have a load cell, in favor of a Nixim-mod-like brake pedal. We rely on the third party to work on adapting the load cell to the pedals. I know the third party can churn out some great products though, and I feel like THAT is what will make the TX shine.

There are some things that Thrustmaster does RIGHT in the sense of a competition standpoint against the Clubsport Wheel:

-The TX is cheaper than the CSW, and it includes a wheel rim and pedals with the base, as opposed to the CSW

-The TX has a greater modding community, and it looks like the TX's product line will support the mods already developed for the T500RS (except for the wheel button panels, which attached to where the static paddles were mounted)

I think that the main draw of the TX will be the brushless Force Feedback motor, and soon, we will get to see if the wheel is as cracked up as it seems to be. It will definitely be interesting to see how it performs. I'm looking for a wheel in this range, and if the wheel unit itself performs to a higher standard than the T500RS, I may be swayed to this wheel, even though I'm not the biggest fan of the production car rim. I'd likely get the GTE Rim, and a DSD Aapter (to use my $30 Amazon Wheel with) and maybe a button box as well to get the buttons I'd lose with the Amazon Wheel.

Drivers and information on known issues are now available on Thrustmaster's support site.

Two important things for any other early adopters out there:

1. Apparently a firmware update isn't just recommended, but required.

2. There is a known issue where using a controller and the wheel at the same time can cause odd behavior in the wheel. This will be patched in game sometime next month. The support site has a document with details on how to identify and correct this problem.

Who wants to bite the bullet and see if you can run the T500 off of this firmware. Would answer some interesting questions.

Or maybe Darin tried this. Seeing as he tried the Ferrari wheel on the T500 base.

I noticed that that the connection for the pedals looks like a phone jack connection . Would it be possible to use the g25/27 adapter from Fanatec and use it on the TX wheel..just a thought .

Nope.  That is not a standard phone jack -- it's the same proprietary offset tab connector that's used on the T500 pedals.

Guys, thanks for the unboxing video. Was wanting to see this wheel up close. I've

been wanting to upgrade my G27 for a while, already have CSPv2's. but I really 

don't like the GT rim for the CSW, and the T500 is a big, but this new

wheel may be the ticket, and better price. Thrustmaster was smart to make it compatible

with the T500 rims. Putting the pressure on Fanatec now.

Looking forward to what you guys think when you put it up against the T500 on a PC.

I just watched the video again and that just answered my question, the new TX wheel seems to be the same diameter as the T500 Ferrari wheel and not the GT wheel, I saw the wheel Shaun but back to back had paddle shifters, the GT wheel doesn't have those.

Bummer! I has hoping for another larger diameter wheel :(

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

However, I feel that Thrustmaster has made some questionable choices with the choices, which MAY be linked to the licensing with Microsoft and Ferrari. Since the 458 Italia has a semi-automatic gearbox, the real car has 2 pedals, and Thrustmaster, bound to the realism the license may have required, had to use a 2 pedal set. Fanatec's license was with the Porsche 911, which utilizes an H shifter, so a clutch would be permissible, because a clutch pedal is in the 911s.

Personally I believe the 2 pedal set probably had very little to do with licencing and realism and everything to do with price. It not only allows TM to sell the wheel for less (giving you that decent $400 or lower entry price) but it gives them an accessory to sell as well, and if course anyone who buys the pedals is going to be buying the shifter too... so that's an easy $200+ in upgrades.

I'm just happy that the way this seems to be working out, we will still be getting compatible upgrades for the T500RS, and hopefully it and the TX will have a happy, prosperous co-existance.

Any idea if this works on the 360 yet?

I think that would have been the longest of really long shots.  The whole reason the old 360 wheels don't work with ONE is that they've (MS) completely changed the wireless connection technology and the FFB language from one box to the next.  In order to make this compatible Thrustmaster would have needed to build the unit with two different sets of wireless electronics to support the new and outgoing console.  Never gonna happen.

Could kept that extra Thrustmaster for yourself Darin. The MS website store has had XBox One in stock since 10:00 PM EST (and still in stock at 7:30 AM). In case anyone is interested right now:

http://m.microsoftstore.com/msusa/Catalog/Product/285169400?&ClickID=cavlkflfaqlfaivle4pqwael7s7ipqvpfzzk

Thats ok.. Was a fun contest and a viewer gets a brand new 458 wheel and pedal set. :-) He also opted for a shifter instead of a rig and we gave him our Derek Speare bent Rod version that Shaun reviewed about a year ago. 

Personally I believe the 2 pedal set probably had very little to do with licencing and realism and everything to do with price. It not only allows TM to sell the wheel for less (giving you that decent $400 or lower entry price) but it gives them an accessory to sell as well, and if course anyone who buys the pedals is going to be buying the shifter too... so that's an easy $200+ in upgrades.

I'm just happy that the way this seems to be working out, we will still be getting compatible upgrades for the T500RS, and hopefully it and the TX will have a happy, prosperous co-existance.

I don't have an official quote from TM.. but.. I would bet money it's partially because of licensing. If there's not a clutch in a 458, they're won't be on a pedal set that TM sells as a Ferrari 458 replica set. Ferrari is a stickler for being exact. I've heard from more than one company in this industry that they are very particular about their brand and how it's portrayed. 

I don't have an official quote from TM.. but.. I would bet money it's partially because of licensing. If there's not a clutch in a 458, they're won't be on a pedal set that TM sells as a Ferrari 458 replica set. Ferrari is a stickler for being exact. I've heard from more than one company in this industry that they are very particular about their brand and how it's portrayed. 

As well they should.  I can't think of many brands that are as well curated in the world.

Thats ok.. Was a fun contest and a viewer gets a brand new 458 wheel and pedal set. :smile: He also opted for a shifter instead of a rig and we gave him our Derek Speare bent Rod version that Shaun reviewed about a year ago. 

Oh, wow. He really made out nice then. Those DS shifters seem pretty sweet.

Hoping you guys post some impressions once you get the Xbox set up today:)

i hope the t500 pedals work,  just bought a used t500 with f1 and gt rim for 300€ and will get the tx for only 295€

would be rdy for nextgen and pc then :3, maybe you guys could try a usb to ps/2 adapter for the th8rs

Awsom news, Pedals to the Xbox one. Pleas put up some videos (long ones) when you have it hooked up to the Xbox.

bvbdragon;

Do you know ho is going to sell this in the EU?

/Niklas

you can buy it here cheapest 4launch.nl (shipping to germany was 14€ i think maybe a bit more for like the uk)

its dutch only but not hard to sign up and buy, chat said they get it december 2nd, but i think it will be around the 13th

We filmed the first hour of our gameplay last night, multicamera and captured in game.  Little bit of commentary as we play. But.. it was our raw first look and we hope to have it up later.

Lots more following as well. Shaun is also working on TWISR ! 

Wow thats a good price. I live in Sweden so its a no go for me, but thank you very much for the tip. Could have saved goooood money there.

I found the Wheel in Sweden and its 400 eur. Pretty much.

Is it better to wait and se if Fanatec comes  up with something?

/Niklas

We filmed the first hour of our gameplay last night, multicamera and captured in game. Little bit of commentary as we play. But.. it was our raw first look and we hope to have it up later.

Lots more following as well. Shaun is also working on TWISR !

Can't wait to see the SROTW (Sim Rig of the Month) as always :P

>Cheers!< Jrv01

Wow thats a good price. I live in Sweden so its a no go for me, but thank you very much for the tip. Could have saved goooood money there.

I found the Wheel in Sweden and its 400 eur. Pretty much.

Is it better to wait and se if Fanatec comes  up with something?

/Niklas

is the shipping to you this much? shouldnt cost import tax or something for sweden