Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel & T3PA Pedals First Images + Unboxing Vid

125 posts in this topic

Here's a full write up and I've attached some images here about the new Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel and Pedal set. We've also got the 3 pedal set called the T3PA that will be part of their modular or add on system.  

http://www.isrtv.com/thrustmaster/thrustmaster-tx-racing-wheel-tx-pedals-first-images/

Here's our unboxing video as well. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJbIbZEIhps

post-5-0-86086700-1385022680_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-86258300-1385022745_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-60247100-1385022821_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-73306100-1385022827_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-66119800-1385022835_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-35248800-1385022843_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-72877600-1385022850_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-35646200-1385022857_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-74649300-1385022865_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-72018000-1385022874_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-64993600-1385022883_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-92737900-1385022892_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-94766700-1385022900_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-11083400-1385022912_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-36854800-1385022920_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-38941000-1385022930_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-69337600-1385022939_thumb.jpg

Hi Darin and Shaun.

Excellent unboxing video.

At one point, Shaun puts the new wheel back to back with one of the T500 wheels, was that T500 wheel the Ferrari wheel or the GT wheel since the new wheel looks to be very similar in diameter?

I love my GT wheel and would love to have another wheel of the same diameter. I barely ever use the other two wheels due to the smaller diameter.

Also, looks like TM took one of John Bodin's ideas, I'm referring to the angle iron behind the brake pedal, too bad it didn't house a load cell.... or does it?

Thanks for posting this. :)

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

i have checked that this is also PC compatible and it is compatible with all the thrustmaster add-on wheels, what i would like to know is, if it is compatible with xbox360 and how it compares with the T500 in PC mode?

Hi Darin and Shaun.

Excellent unboxing video.

At one point, Shaun puts the new wheel back to back with one of the T500 wheels, was that T500 wheel the Ferrari wheel or the GT wheel since the new wheel looks to be very similar in diameter?

I love my GT wheel and would love to have another wheel of the same diameter. I barely ever use the other two wheels due to the smaller diameter.

Also, looks like TM took one of John Bodin's ideas, I'm referring to the angle iron behind the brake pedal, too bad it didn't house a load cell.... or does it?

Thanks for posting this. :)

Take care

Given the cost involved with a reliable beam-type load cell, it looks like Thrustmaster decided to forego the load cell, leaving it up to the secondary market (e.g., ME) to come up with a suitable solution.

As with the T500RS pedals, it also looks like what Thrustmaster has provided should serve as a reasonably good starting point for adding-on a proper load cell.  Now I just need to get my hands on a set of pedals so I can figure out how my existing BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod will need to be modified to work with the new pedals.

:cool:

Given the cost involved with a reliable beam-type load cell, it looks like Thrustmaster decided to forego the load cell, leaving it up to the secondary market (e.g., ME) to come up with a suitable solution.

As with the T500RS pedals, it also looks like what Thrustmaster has provided should serve as a reasonably good starting point for adding-on a proper load cell.  Now I just need to get my hands on a set of pedals so I can figure out how my existing BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod will need to be modified to work with the new pedals.

Thanks for the info John.

I was just thinking in case TM decided to go with one of those wimpy bathroom scale load cells, might be hidden in there someplace, LOL.

Agreed with the new design, you shouldn't have any problems modding your load cell to fit this thing, seems they are using about the same mounting channel steel as you are. See you should have patented it! LOL ;)

Take care

The two biggest questions I have (since they affect potential purchase decisions) are:

1. Do T500 pedals work with it?

2. What kind of port is provided for connecting a TH8A? (That is, is it USB -- and if so, what happens when you plug in a TH8RS?)

Also, though, I'm quite interested to hear how the T3PAs compare to T500 pedals other than the lack of invertibility.

Thanks in advance!

I'm most curious to see if the brushless motor has a noticeable affect on things. That coupled with the "notchless" belts. With something like AC, that game is really smooth on the T500. But engage the anti-lock brakes on the Mazda in iracing, or race the 60s formula cars on Spa or Monaco in rfactor 2, and it's got some clunk to it. Wondering how the new TX handles these things.

Nice. I bet this was going to be called the "T300" until the M$ licensing came up. Can't wait for a comparo vid with the T500 and of course, plenty of testing. There are alot of rim, pedal, wheel and system combos to try guys!

Guest crimsonidol

Yes, excellent unboxing video guys, keep up the good work!

By the way, new paint and color on the walls at your studio, nice and clean look!

I need impressions.... How did it feel? Sturdy? warm? cold? flimsy? like I could attach it to the steering column of my car? How about the pedals (2 pedals first)? The music was overlayed and I couldn't hear anything you guys said.... it looked as though you were remarking about the stiffness of the brake pedal, how did it feel

I wouldn't say that they are "foregoing a load cell".. but currently focusing their resources on other projects (this wheel and it's components). ;-)  Just my hunch

I'm most curious to see if the brushless motor has a noticeable affect on things. That coupled with the "notchless" belts. With something like AC, that game is really smooth on the T500. But engage the anti-lock brakes on the Mazda in iracing, or race the 60s formula cars on Spa or Monaco in rfactor 2, and it's got some clunk to it. Wondering how the new TX handles these things.

I've noticed is how smoothly it turns when off. I have yet to drive it as we're getting it setup for our XBox One that arrives tomorrow. But it's very easy to turn and I can;t wait to drive it.. Im like a kid on Christmas waiting for Dad to setup my new toy. Except in this scenario, Dad is our XBox One in route.. lol  I have a code to download FM5 as soon as our box arrives !

The unit is about 30% smaller than a T500

All current T500 components will work with this base. 

We plugged the 458 wheel into the T500 base and the driver saw it as an F1 integral. It functions, but 4 buttons seemed to be depressed. I'll have to ask TM if it will work on the T500 with an update. 

We will be going fully in depth with all these setups on the PC and XBox One in the coming weeks. I'll be happy to share my opinion on any questions asked here about the setup if I can. 

Nice unboxing guys.   I'm looking forward to the review of this wheel.  Might be a nice "budget"  T500 alternative.

It is shame Microsoft and Turn10 haven't sent you an Xbox One and Forza 5 to review by now when I see other games media have had the consoles for at least a week to 2 weeks already.  

I need impressions.... How did it feel? Sturdy? warm? cold? flimsy? like I could attach it to the steering column of my car? How about the pedals (2 pedals first)? The music was overlayed and I couldn't hear anything you guys said.... it looked as though you were remarking about the stiffness of the brake pedal, how did it feel

Both brakes had some good stiffness.. Some are saying the two pedal set looks cheap, but I would they feel solid to us with the brake having some progression. They remind me of the set that comes with the F430 wheel with some upgrades. The T3PA pedal set feels very similar to the T500 pedals except housed in plastic. It also has that rubber nipple or piece that's behind the brake that we say in the video feels like a basher or nixim mod. The brake to me feels a lot better than the stock T500 brake with the stiff brake mod. 

The plug / jack is identical to the T500 pedal jack. I think the pedals are cross compatible and we will verify that in the coming days. 

Please Darin give us an update on how it feels vs the T500 in iracing, Santa Claus wants to get me either of them for the Xmas and he wants to know which one is better (since i already have CSR elite pedals, the lower cost of the TX is better for me)

Nice unboxing guys.   I'm looking forward to the review of this wheel.  Might be a nice "budget"  T500 alternative.

It is shame Microsoft and Turn10 haven't sent you an Xbox One and Forza 5 to review by now when I see other games media have had the consoles for at least a week to 2 weeks already.  

Yeah, we're a little bummed about it as well.. We're not considered A list media though. We'll have our pre-ordered box by tomorrow and hopefully provide a much more in depth look at it all compared to our competition. Speaking of, thanks to one of our viewers Mauro who had two pre-ordered XBox Ones and let us buy one. I was just given a code to d/l FM 5 by Turn 10.. so we're set there.

Thrustmaster was the only ones to make sure we had things in time and as soon as possible. I understand we're the very first to have the T3PA pedals too. 

Please Darin give us an update on how it feels vs the T500 in iracing, Santa Claus wants to get me either of them for the Xmas and he wants to know which one is better (since i already have CSR elite pedals, the lower cost of the TX is better for me)

We will as soon as possible !  :-) iRacing is at the top of our list..  Can't wait to see how it feels with Assetto, GSC 2013 and rFactor 2 as well.

The plug / jack is identical to the T500 pedal jack. I think the pedals are cross compatible and we will verify that in the coming days. 

Awesome.  And what about the jack for the TH8A? Is there any hope that it might support the TH8RS (i.e., is it USB) or is it only likely to work with the forthcoming product?

Basically, if the T500 pedals and TH8RS are supported, I'm considering trying hunt down a pair of unbundled pedals on ebay or something. Otherwise, I'll need to resign myself to just wait for the official TX addons to be released. ;)

Thanks!

Awesome.  And what about the jack for the TH8A? Is there any hope that it might support the TH8RS (i.e., is it USB) or is it only likely to work with the forthcoming product?

Basically, if the T500 pedals and TH8RS are supported, I'm considering trying hunt down a pair of unbundled pedals on ebay or something. Otherwise, I'll need to resign myself to just wait for the official TX addons to be released. ;)

Thanks!

I've attached an image of the back of the wheel. I put a yellow circle around a PS-2 port that I assume the TH8A will plug into. There's no USB port either. 

post-5-0-95626200-1385062174_thumb.jpg

I've attached an image of the back of the wheel. I put a yellow circle around a PS-2 port that I assume the TH8A will plug into. There's no USB port either. 

Yup, that's the one.  Well shucks.  

Good to know, though -- now I can stop wasting my time stalking wild T500 pedals, and settle in to waiting. (Hopefully not for too long!)

Thanks again!

I see lots of plastic on those pedals :-| they don't look like an improvement or am I missing something?

I'm tempted to upgrade to this wheel and keep the current pedals just for the smaller size wheel base alone, that's if I don't go with the planned SimXperience wheel.

I see lots of plastic on those pedals :-| they don't look like an improvement or am I missing something?

I'm tempted to upgrade to this and keep the current pedals just for the smaller size wheel base alone

They just look like the T500 pedals on a plastic base to me, not really an "improvement" from the T500 pedals except maybe that new stiff brake rubber cone thingy. Who knows what's inside tho?

As for the base, is it really any smaller? It looks about the same size to me. Oh, nevermind, just saw Darin's "30%" comment.

Clearly bad news for console owners who already owned a TH8, but the "phone" jack looks interesting. Makes me think the T500 pedals won't have any issues working on it.

I've noticed is how smoothly it turns when off. I have yet to drive it as we're getting it setup for our XBox One that arrives tomorrow. But it's very easy to turn and I can;t wait to drive it.. Im like a kid on Christmas waiting for Dad to setup my new toy. Except in this scenario, Dad is our XBox One in route.. lol  I have a code to download FM5 as soon as our box arrives !

The unit is about 30% smaller than a T500

All current T500 components will work with this base. 

We plugged the 458 wheel into the T500 base and the driver saw it as an F1 integral. It functions, but 4 buttons seemed to be depressed. I'll have to ask TM if it will work on the T500 with an update. 

We will be going fully in depth with all these setups on the PC and XBox One in the coming weeks. I'll be happy to share my opinion on any questions asked here about the setup if I can. 

Ah, that's a shame if the Ferrari wheel won't work on a T500, I love that thing already just from the looks and was hoping I might find some TX owner who didn't. :lol:

Maybe an update will save teh day, but I'm not holding my breath. It strikes me as a way for this rim to stay "TX exclusive."