Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 67 - SBK-X Review - G Bikes Alpha

21 posts in this topic

In this show, Shaun and I review the new Superbike World Championship title SBK-X for the PC thats developed by Milestone and published by Black Bean Games. Shaun and Tommy take a look at the alpha build of GP Bikes for the PC. They also discuss the type of controllers used to play these motorcycle simulations. We also have our 44th Top Simulation Car of all time and it's the Porsche Fabcar from rFactor.

Hope you enjoy the show !

Wow. You all are really pumping out the episodes lately. Nice work. I thought the broom handle bit was pretty funny and actually pretty inventive. I'd have never thought of that. I just might check out SBK-X at some point. It looks like fun. Though I think I'd just go the controller route. My wheel could use the rest, I'm sure. Also, that Porsche mod for rFactor looks sweet. I don't have rfactor, but if I did that mod would be on my machine for sure.

Even though I'm not a motorcycle sim person (I think bikes are cool...however, in the real world I'm terrified to ride one ) I enjoyed the show. I especially liked your discussion on the problem of a proper controller for bike sims. Sounds like a business opportunity the folks at logitech, fanatic, etc. are missing. BTW, I replaced a broken TV in my house and the new one has wireless internet with youtube videos...I can now watch ISR on that :-) (Although I usually save it treat myself while I workout in the morning. :-))

SRT, when it comes to bike racing sims you should consider commenting on the realism of the onboard view and the visual perspective. The human head is obviously mounted on an independent axis from the rest of the bike, but in my experience with bike racing sims, this is always misrepresented. Bike sims tend to change the rider's view perspective in tandem with the lean angle of the bike, as if the rider's spine is part of the bike's vertical axis.

Now, I'm not trying to qualify my remarks, but I've been riding most of my life and have been a licensed racer for over 20 years, this is simply not what your view of the track looks like when you corner on a bike, especially through anything slower than a high-speed sweeper (when you're tucked up behind the windscreen). This is why Jessica became light-headed when she was playing. Bike & rider move independently of one another, with the rider trying to keep their head as upright as possible looking beyond the apex out to the corner exit. Some sims have had a partial work around for this over the years using command line switches in the ini files that would limit your view's angle, but so far no bike sim has gotten this right out of the box. I find it bizarre that more simmers don't bring it up. Anyway, nice program, congrats to the crew. Props to you for giving a sim like GP-Bikes exposure, I've been following it for a year now and I think it has crazy potential. Maybe your spotlight will promote some progress from the developer. - EZ

In all my ramblings I forgot to mention one important point, and the actual reason I posted a comment in the first place. The rider's perspective for the onboard view in bike sims has been misrepresented until the emergence of GP-Bikes. This is the only sim that has gotten it right so far in my experience. My intent being to contrast this with SBK-X and the like which use a system that changes the rider's viewing angle along with the bike's lean angle. Anyway, enough outta me :D

Guest Username

Good review even if USA doesn't get this game.I think you guys are to worried about damage.Most crashes would end a chance to win if you are lucky enough to finish.I had the last SBK and it was great but have to complain about no split -screen(for the console) How about a TDU review before TDU2 is out

If you plan on using the Grand Slam cars make sure to DL'd the 1.01 brake patch. I have not install the patch yet, but as the mod stands in 1.0 the brakes suck big time. I will test the 1.01 patch tomorrow, don't want to disturb the neighbors with the buttkicker rumble tonight... :lol:

Patch 1.01

http://www.virtualr.net/grand-slam-1-01-released/

ADD: tried the 1.01 patch and the brakes still sucks. I don't know how the real drivers can drive these cars with this mod's brakes if thats how the real ones work (not work). Also the wheel/tire noise is weird also, a whooshing type sound. Tested with the Gainsco 99 car.

ADD2: The Fabcar Porsche handles better the the Riley Gainsco 99. But the brakes are still suspect. I can't feather them at all, need to put a lot of pressure on the CSP (almost to the lock pt) to get the car to slow down.

SORRY totally off topic... :oops:

what has been happening with the poster named doubledragoncc who was working on his design for a motorcycle controller peripheral? any updates as of late?

He posted a rant about this community not being interested enough...

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=1934&start=0

Then he posted a few updates here...

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=1982&start=0

That was a little over a month ago.

Subsequent to my original viewing/first post I looked at SBK-X again and was now interested. I ended up getting SBK Superbikes 09 (last years version) and I liked the driving a lot but I felt it was missing a lot of the extras they added this year. Last night I read your article on RSC and you mentioned it is available for import. I ended up ordering the PS3 version from an Asian site...hopefully I'll be getting it soon. As I commented to your article it's a real shame they're not releasing it here..I believe they're throwing away $$.

Subsequent to my original viewing/first post I looked at SBK-X again and was now interested. I ended up getting SBK Superbikes 09 (last years version) and I liked the driving a lot but I felt it was missing a lot of the extras they added this year. Last night I read your article on RSC and you mentioned it is available for import. I ended up ordering the PS3 version from an Asian site...hopefully I'll be getting it soon. As I commented to your article it's a real shame they're not releasing it here..I believe they're throwing away $$.

It's not that they don't want to. There's no US distributor that has picked it up. There's a company that picked up Superstars V8, but no word of SBK-X or WRC coming to the US as of yet.

It's a shame too..

My opinion is that SBK-X and WRC aren't NASCAR so most US distributors don't want to take a chance on it.

Sad but true. But I'd think in a country where bikes are popular (think Harley) a good bike racing game can sell. As popular as NASCAR is I'd hope real race fans would want to enjoy a variety of motorsport including F1, Australian supercars and bikes. (As the say in the lead-in to one of the racing podcasts I listen to....if it has wheels and they keep score....) Maybe the answer is digital distribution. Both xbox and PS3 have provisions for that and of course it's easy to do on PC. Since they don't have to produce a given number of copies they should make $$$ regardless of how popular the game is here...every download for $x is almost pure profit.

It's not that they don't want to. There's no US distributor that has picked it up. There's a company that picked up Superstars V8, but no word of SBK-X or WRC coming to the US as of yet.

It's a shame too..

My opinion is that SBK-X and WRC aren't NASCAR so most US distributors don't want to take a chance on it.

I found this interesting link discussing the issue of a controller for bike games....I did comment on it mentioning your efforts to rig up a controller. Apparently there are some guys out there working the problem.

http://www.racedepartment.com/blogs/tro ... eeded.html

Thanks Wendy.. There was a guy here in the forums that actually made one.. He was going to send it to us as well, but I haven't heard from him lately..

Thanks Wendy.. There was a guy here in the forums that actually made one.. He was going to send it to us as well, but I haven't heard from him lately..

thanks to cepwin for the link! Two interesting bike sim/game controllers that may come to fruition (touch wood!).

:)

edit...I sent the simMotoGP guy an email - if I get any response I will post it here.

Darin Gangi,

Was the guy in this forum doubledragonccc (who also posted in the link)? Hopefully, he is still working on his controllers!

:)