Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2013: Do Gear Ratios Matter?

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I have heard people say that it doesn't matter wether you have long gear ratios compared to short gear ratios in the form of acceleration. I mean, do I have to be at the limiter? :P In other sims you do, but from what I've heard, in F1 2013 you don't.

>Cheers!< Jrv01

I know that in F1 2012, a high 7th gear would give me slow acceleration out of Eau Rouge with DRS. I shorted the ratio by 5 mph and it accelerated to a higher speed with the same driving style. If you can get the lights to show on the wheel then the acceleration should be fairly normal (with a good ratio). I would recommend a ratio fitted to the track that you are racing on.

The cars are certainly driveable with the default ratio "straight up" as it's shown in the settings window

I like to tweak the gears for my personal driving style, and the settings window tends to look more like bent stair steps, with a little tighter ratios in the lower gears. Your main goal is controlled acceleration out of turns, reducing wheelspin, and having control as you enter turns without "lockup."

On a tight track like Monaco, I prefer much lower shifting, but you have to be careful to reduce wheel spin as much as possible. An extremely basic way to look at it is how much throttle pedal "pressure" does it take to get wheelspin. With tighter ratios, you can easily get wheelspin at the top travel of the pedal. You just have to figure out if that's how you want to drive and make the adjustments. In that case, even having the pedals too close, just a little, can affect your degree of control.

I also pay attention to whether there is any "lag" or struggle throughout the gears. For example if I hear a drop in power when I shift to fourth and hear the engine labor, then I "slide the ratio" a little more to the left.

The modern-day cars are not as sensitive to tighter low-end ratios because of their engine mapping and torque control, but it can still have a positive or negative effect on them.

Of course it's all relative. One gear is affected by the ratios of the preceding and following gears. A different suspension setup can also affect throttle control. And again, how you like to drive is important.

I'm still struggling on the Austin (Circuit of the Americas) Time Attack because you're locked into using the default gear ratios. On a couple of the turns, I'm still getting too much torque at the wrong time, and it causes me, with my driving style, to often run wide and off the track.