Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 42 is now up !

19 posts in this topic

This episode we have part 3 of sim racing rigs for under $1000 and check out the Playseat Evolution http://www.playseats.com and Bob Earls Virtual Racing Chassis http://www.bobearlracing.com. We also check out http://www.SimBin.com s new free title Volvo The Game http://www.volvocars.com/game. SHaun also has a segment on Field of View in Tech Tips as well as our top stories where we check out http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net. Like to thank our sponsors http://manapotions.com and http://thesimfactory.com

Nice hard mount Darin for the fanatec shifter. Thats much better than other DIY ways I have seen so far maybe thomas might get the hint and offer a hard mountable bracket for sell soon??

img0224l.th.jpg

Great episode!

Can't wait to see the new set. Was the old set in one of yalls house? I always wondered about the black sheets in the background.

I cracked up when I seen Shaun's leg crunch and heard his comment about the dust bunnies. Great stuff.

Keep 'em coming.

I'm very excited for all of you and I'm definitely looking forward to your new diggs! Is it just the set that will change or will the presentation of content evolve as well, ala 'Speed Report' style?

It would be great to have on an occasional episode a special guest/interview, like when you had Thomas of Fanatec. For example, how about another interview with Gjon Camaj when it gets close to rF2 release or Ian Bell of SMS, or a top rated sim racer or a selected lucky home brewed hardcore simmer and why they use (hardware/equipment) what they use. This way we can witness first hand your interviewing prowess in getting certain guests slip up and letting out exclusive info. Maybe you can even have Jessica disarm a guest with her beauty and womanly powers of persuasion to get juicy info, ha, ha.

Darin, you and Shaun have good chemistry. I especially love Shaun's subtle 'slapstick' type of comedic relief. He doesn't take himself too seriously, even while giving us news, information or tips. This definitely endears him to many of us.

Keep the shiny side up and the rubber down as you continue to push the envelope!

warmest regards, -ED d'Agliano-Luna, aka eddiespag

Good episode.I found the FOV segment interesting.I would like to see another just like it on triple monitors in the future.

I run a lot of NAGT and I find that I'm constantly changing the FOV when I switch cars to get the mirrors situated away from the seams where the monitors meet.

I'm planning on building a race rig utilizing 2" PVC pipe and will design it to get the monitors roughly 22" from my face as Shawn suggested.A quick look now with a tape measure and I'm at 31" now.This should up the immersion a few notches.

Yesterday I saw for the 1st time Frexs's canopy screen on youtube. 8O

One can only imagine what the next 10 years brings. :lol:

Happy racing.

Johnny

Hi guys

Love the show, how about some competitions to win the simrigs you mentioned that are filling up your studio?

Hopefully see you out on the track in iracing, I'm mostly in the rookie solstice.

Cheers

Craig Hood

It was the Fanatec GT3 RS wheel. THe wheel would wobble until I ran over a rumble strip.

Hi Guys

I'd like to ask you about the bugs you mentioned in the Volvo game, specificly the one with FFB hanging randomly. What wheel have you used to play the Volvo game? Was it Fanatec?

Best Regards,

Stevo

It was the Fanatec GT3 RS wheel. THe wheel would wobble until I ran over a rumble strip.

Hi Darin,

in this case, it is most likely that this is not a Volvo bug but Fanatec wheel issue - it has been confirmed by many people with the 911 wheel (playing different games like rFactor). It is obvious that Fanatec is not happy to talk about this or list this as a official problem, however when this problem was raised they acknowledged it. It would be helpful for the community if you raised this as well so Fanatec finally does something about it - they are releasing new drivers every month but somehow missing important problems like this one. And people potentionally buing the wheel should now the truth. Maybe (just for yourself) you could connect the same setup to G25 to confirm that this is not a game bug.

BR,

Stevo

I have turned many laps with this wheel using rFactor, iRacing, and even another Sim Bin title GTR Evolution and it's never happened. Volvo was the first.

We're reviewing the wheel and have addressed the lack of a current driver and or ease of locating it for the GT3.

Hi Darin,

in this case, it is most likely that this is not a Volvo bug but Fanatec wheel issue - it has been confirmed by many people with the 911 wheel (playing different games like rFactor). It is obvious that Fanatec is not happy to talk about this or list this as a official problem, however when this problem was raised they acknowledged it. It would be helpful for the community if you raised this as well so Fanatec finally does something about it - they are releasing new drivers every month but somehow missing important problems like this one. And people potentionally buing the wheel should now the truth. Maybe (just for yourself) you could connect the same setup to G25 to confirm that this is not a game bug.

BR,

Stevo

I'm sure you have, and you've found I bug - what makes you think it's a Volvo bug? Try a different wheel, it will only take you 15 minutes. I'll be happy if you're right. What worries me is if I'm right, it's a pretty serious problem.

I have turned many laps with this wheel using rFactor, iRacing, and even another Sim Bin title GTR Evolution and it's never happened. Volvo was the first.

We're reviewing the wheel and have addressed the lack of a current driver and or ease of locating it for the GT3.

Fanatec posted driver version .99

"There were some bugs in the FF protocol in ver 097 which caused the FF to stop.

We also solved the issue with hanging sliders of the pedals in the tes tab. "

Also Thomas' blog indicates acknowledgment and seeking feedback, hey at least they listen and respond. :)

from the 911wheel.com site.

Submitted by Thomas on Thu, 07/16/2009 - 04:00.

Several users reported a bug in our driver since very early versions.

It only occurs on a few games and not on all PCs. But we were never able to reproduce this bug so we cannot solve it. It just does not happen on our test PCs.

So we need your help to solve this driver bug in case it occurs on your PC.

Symptom: After hitting a curb and going back on the road, the shaking of the curbs does not stop until you hit another curb again

Please answer the following questions:

1. Please list the games on which the problem occurs.

Name of game

Version number of game

What mod or custom track is installed?

What track?

2. Do you have any plug-ins installed e.g. RealFeel or similar?

3. Please list all games which you played and did not show this problem

4. Please list some system info

Run the program dxdiag.exe and save the system info to a txt file. Then copy the info of your system. Only this info is relevant:

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/16/2009, 12:19:38

Machine name: HOME_GAME2

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Language: German (Regional Setting: German)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 2042MB used, 2289MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

5. Test system performance. Please run the fraps tool (www.fraps.com) and tell us the framerate you have in the game in the lap when the bug occurs.

Hi Darin,

Episode 42 was really good. I need some help though.

I'm trying to decide between buying a Playseat Evolution

or Obutto. Based on your experience with both, which one

has the more stable wheel mount? The thing that bothers

me with the Playseat is the center pylon and it possibly/probably

getting in the way of pedal work. Obviously, the Obutto allows unobstructed access to the pedals.

Including shipping, the Obutto is only like $40 more than the Playseat shipped, and it comes with a shifter attachment, plus keyboard tray, plus adjustable seat.

Plus, can pedals be hardmounted to the Obutto?

I am leaning toward the Obutto right now, but just thought I would try and get a little more input before deciding. I know you probably can't, but if you could just say which one you prefer, that would be great too :D

Thanks,

Thanks for the compliment !

I can definitely tell you which I prefer.. Obutto. I think it offers more bang for the buck and yes you can mount to the pedal deck.. It's actually a piece of metal that sits in that foot well area..

As far as stability, Obutto..

Andrea liked the Obutto so much, she took it over.. Andrea, if you're not familiar with her, is our sim racer in training, and my lovely girlfriend ;)

Hi Darin,

Episode 42 was really good. I need some help though.

I'm trying to decide between buying a Playseat Evolution

or Obutto. Based on your experience with both, which one

has the more stable wheel mount? The thing that bothers

me with the Playseat is the center pylon and it possibly/probably

getting in the way of pedal work. Obviously, the Obutto allows unobstructed access to the pedals.

Including shipping, the Obutto is only like $40 more than the Playseat shipped, and it comes with a shifter attachment, plus keyboard tray, plus adjustable seat.

Plus, can pedals be hardmounted to the Obutto?

I am leaning toward the Obutto right now, but just thought I would try and get a little more input before deciding. I know you probably can't, but if you could just say which one you prefer, that would be great too :D

Thanks,

Thanks for the compliment !

I can definitely tell you which I prefer.. Obutto. I think it offers more bang for the buck and yes you can mount to the pedal deck.. It's actually a piece of metal that sits in that foot well area..

As far as stability, Obutto..

Andrea liked the Obutto so much, she took it over.. Andrea, if you're not familiar with her, is our sim racer in training, and my lovely girlfriend ;)

Hey Darin,

Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it :mrgreen:

Looks like Obutto is the way I'm going to go.

Also, best wishes to you and Andrea. She looks like a pretty good driver as well.

Maybe I will get lucky someday, and find a girlfriend who likes sim racing.

That's awesome man :D Keep up the good work and thanks again.

Sorry for the double post guys, but I took your advice Darin, and decided to order the Obutto. However, when I sent them the e-mail to get their paypal information, I got an auto-replay e-mail stating the following:

For US Customers:

Please note we are currently out of stock, but a new shipment of cockpits will be arriving in the US mid to late August.

The new shipment will consist of a modified cockpit design, and while the overall look of the cockpit will be the same, we feel the changes will only further enhance it's appeal to SIM racers & all video gamers. These changes are the result of feedback we've received from SIM racers over the past year, along with some changes I wanted to further adapt the cockpit to other genres of games and it's ability to fully replace a desk. The cockpit changes will most likely include all or most of the following:

1) removeable mounting posts for the keyboard/mouse tray, and shifter mount

2) steering wheel mount is angled back towards the driver more which will create more leg room for those who like their legs stretched out, and should make it more comfortable for taller folks who like their steering wheels nice and high like in a real race car.

3) the nose of the cockpit will be flat on the ground, no longer sticking up

4) the bar that the pedal tray will rest on will be height adjustable (2 positions, normal & high), as well as being removeable for those that want to run aftermarket pedal setups like CST's.

5) The rear section of the frame will be lengthened by 5-7cm.

6) Shifter mount arm will be shorter, and it's mounting location will be adjustable. Also, it will give more clearance underneath so aftermarket shifters will fit with no probs.......such as the SST Lightning.

7) In case you play flight sim games there will also be a mounting location for a flight stick mount between your legs (this mount would cost extra though)

8) We will also have a hard mount monitor stand that attaches to the back of the monitor, either replacing our old monitor stand or at an additional cost.

9) Lastly, we will have a 2cm thick acrylic (plexiglass) "desktop" available at extra charge to give folks some desktop space on their cockpits

**Please note, the seat will remain the same except we may add our logo back to the front of the headrest (similar to what is shown on our website)**

We will only be importing 80 cockpits this time around, so if you wish to reserve a cockpit then feel free to send payment to our paypal account: [email protected] We did raise the price of the cockpit since the US dollar is still struggling against the China RMB currency. Therefore, the new price is US$289 and the shipping cost depends on how far you live from Seattle, WA where we keep the inventory....US$75-$95 FedEX Ground. Once we ship your cockpit in mid-late August we will email you the tracking number. We have many pre-orders and it looks like all 80 will be sold before they arrive so don't miss out.

**If you pre-purchase the cockpit then it guarantees you will receive a cockpit from this shipment**

Please realize delays can happen, as US Customs can sometimes be a bit overzealous :/ Thanks for your time, and for your patience!

I just thought you guys at SRT, as well as anyone on the forum interested in buying the Obutto might find this information useful. Looks like they are definitely responding to feedback and making some improvements to the rig.

WOW ! Best bang for the buck in sim rigs just got better !! Very cool info, thanks for sharing.

Darin

Sorry for the double post guys, but I took your advice Darin, and decided to order the Obutto. However, when I sent them the e-mail to get their paypal information, I got an auto-replay e-mail stating the following:

For US Customers:

Please note we are currently out of stock, but a new shipment of cockpits will be arriving in the US mid to late August.

The new shipment will consist of a modified cockpit design, and while the overall look of the cockpit will be the same, we feel the changes will only further enhance it's appeal to SIM racers & all video gamers. These changes are the result of feedback we've received from SIM racers over the past year, along with some changes I wanted to further adapt the cockpit to other genres of games and it's ability to fully replace a desk. The cockpit changes will most likely include all or most of the following:

1) removeable mounting posts for the keyboard/mouse tray, and shifter mount

2) steering wheel mount is angled back towards the driver more which will create more leg room for those who like their legs stretched out, and should make it more comfortable for taller folks who like their steering wheels nice and high like in a real race car.

3) the nose of the cockpit will be flat on the ground, no longer sticking up

4) the bar that the pedal tray will rest on will be height adjustable (2 positions, normal & high), as well as being removeable for those that want to run aftermarket pedal setups like CST's.

5) The rear section of the frame will be lengthened by 5-7cm.

6) Shifter mount arm will be shorter, and it's mounting location will be adjustable. Also, it will give more clearance underneath so aftermarket shifters will fit with no probs.......such as the SST Lightning.

7) In case you play flight sim games there will also be a mounting location for a flight stick mount between your legs (this mount would cost extra though)

8) We will also have a hard mount monitor stand that attaches to the back of the monitor, either replacing our old monitor stand or at an additional cost.

9) Lastly, we will have a 2cm thick acrylic (plexiglass) "desktop" available at extra charge to give folks some desktop space on their cockpits

**Please note, the seat will remain the same except we may add our logo back to the front of the headrest (similar to what is shown on our website)**

We will only be importing 80 cockpits this time around, so if you wish to reserve a cockpit then feel free to send payment to our paypal account: [email protected] We did raise the price of the cockpit since the US dollar is still struggling against the China RMB currency. Therefore, the new price is US$289 and the shipping cost depends on how far you live from Seattle, WA where we keep the inventory....US$75-$95 FedEX Ground. Once we ship your cockpit in mid-late August we will email you the tracking number. We have many pre-orders and it looks like all 80 will be sold before they arrive so don't miss out.

**If you pre-purchase the cockpit then it guarantees you will receive a cockpit from this shipment**

Please realize delays can happen, as US Customs can sometimes be a bit overzealous :/ Thanks for your time, and for your patience!

I just thought you guys at SRT, as well as anyone on the forum interested in buying the Obutto might find this information useful. Looks like they are definitely responding to feedback and making some improvements to the rig.