Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mad About Lines!

7 posts in this topic

So I've received several complaints and criticisms from a fellow racer. He claims I have no sense of "fair play" and that my racing lines and lap times are "BS" because I'm running outside the white lines of the track, and I'm too "free and loose." Of course I think he's primarily referring to my runs in the 80's and 90's cars, so "loose" definitely does apply somewhat.

We raced yesterday, and we've been posting times in the various Time Attack, Time Trial, and Scenario event leaderboards in F1 2013. I think he's actually an incredible racer and competitor, and probably better than myself. He's either very close to my times, or just beats me...

and he's doing this with the RIDICULOUS conviction that ALL TIRES SHOULD REMAIN WITHIN THE WHITE LINES of the track.

Also, what I observed yesterday during the race, when I was behind him and while racing his various ghosts, is that he certainly has great control and understands the power of F1 cars... but he's not using another important feature of these cars to its' fullest extent--GRIP.

He tends to brake very late and much harder, turns in, runs a little wide, and accelerates. This puts him at a disadvantage.
I on the other hand, brake a little earlier and lighter, then get back on the throttle and turn in earlier, hit the apex (and maybe a little kerb), and run my exit line to the outside kerb. All the while, after first braking to lower speed, I'm controlling the throttle, and if I do things correctly, can be full throttle even before the apex. Of course when, where, and how depends on the turn. I'm relying greatly on the F1 car's grip to "shoot" me around and out of the turn.

So, if this guy is in front of me (or my ghost), he's surprised when I suddenly overtake him, usually at the exit of the turn or in a following straightaway because I carried more speed through the turn. If he's behind me in a race, he gets frustrated because he's having to brake earlier, then as I turn in, he continues on his line, brakes again, turns and accelerates.

If we're neck-and-neck with me in front, I can watch the top-down map and observe that he'll "rush up" on me as we enter a turn, then I out accelerate him as we exit it.

So, due in part to the fact that he can't see me part of the time (as he's wide on the turn), he claims that I'm not "following the track," and that I'm not "playing fair."

I watch various motorsport events, and I race karts. To have this conviction, whether it be in the real world or simulated, greatly limits your ability as a driver. I'm not saying you should just "rip roar" and "willy nilly" your way around a track. Unfortunately, I've had to deal with "drivers" with that attitude.

In real life, I've been T-Boned as I was taking a wider approach to a hairpin to get optimum acceleration on the "back side" of the turn while the other driver thought a fast inside entry would somehow be better. For him, my kart was more forgiving than the outside barrier he would have definitely hit.

I've also been rear-ended by drivers, or watched them take out the barriers next to me, who don't understand that karts, like F1 cars, gain a bigger advantage from being on and controlling the throttle much EARLIER--as you ENTER the turn. Therefore you have to decelerate, THEN accelerate a little earlier. So they practice the late braking method, and get royally screwed when trying to overtake someone who understand this.

I almost don't want to tell this guy what he's doing wrong, that he needs to actually sit down and watch real races (hello, Variante Della Roggia and Curva Ascari at Monza?!!), and needs to think about his lines, braking points, and grip, and that in most cases (depending on the track and stewards) it's okay to go "outside the lines" as long as the two inside tires are still "in" and you maintain control of the car.

If I do, and he figures this out, he'll start kickin' my butt!

I do the same in iRacing as I did in Forza.

If I don't get a triangle or 1X incident, then it is fair.

It doesn't really matter what happens IRL, but to each particular sim/game there are questionable places that is considered fair. Take them.

I used to warn others in Forza4 that I would run clean laps whether they thought they were or not, and at the end of the race to see my time with no triangle, save the replay and learn to run my line.

I actually found a great deal on a Hauppauge HD PVR-2 Gaming Edition (arrives tomorrow). So I think I'll be producing new videos with split screen views of wheel and pedal operation (shot with separate cameras) along with the on-screen display, then follow it up with recordings of the replays. This will give anyone a clear idea of how I take my laps.

I also like Dirt 2 and 3, so I may have a little fun recording some laps or course runs as well.

In addition, I have some replays from Forza 4 that show just how "skillfull" some of my fellow club members are, with some examples of almost all of the drivers avoiding sudden serious accidents that would usually take out the whole field.

and he's doing this with the RIDICULOUS conviction that ALL TIRES SHOULD REMAIN WITHIN THE WHITE LINES of the track.

That's he's problem, the official rule states that if all four wheels are outside the line that represent's the track limits it's an infraction. So two wheels outside is legit and you can see they do that in real life.

Some great looking liveries you got in your sig btw :)