Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How To: Navigate Our New Website

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to our new home !! This will be one of many "HOW TO" sections here at Inside Sim Racing. We've created our new site to hopefully be a lot more resourceful to anyone that wants to sim race. Whether you are getting started or a veteran, we hope there's something here that peaks your interest and keeps you coming back for more. Thank you for stopping by!

Let's get started..  This document will act as a glossary or guide on how to navigate our website. We hope it's easy enough to navigate on it's own that this isn't needed. We put it together just in case. 

Assuming you are viewing on a desktop or viewing with a screen resolution larger than 1280x720 let's start at the top. If you're not, the new site is designed to scale to the screen size that your device is currently using. 

The "Inside Sim Racing" Logo at the top right of left of the screen will always take you back to the home page if you get lost. Next let's move to our "Full Menu" that you can open by clicking in the middle of the top read bar where it says "Full Menu". That will take you to our menu system that at a glance, can take you just about anywhere you need to go at our site.  You can also open it fro any page within the website. (forum not included)

FULL MENU

The "FULL MENU" is populated with links throughout our website and forums. Let's start with the top half of the menu. Starting on the left we have "REVIEWS". You can start by clicking "REVIEWS" and it takes you to our new review section that is very robust. You now have the ability to find anything we've reviewed since 2007 by using one of the many different sort functions. Whether you want to see them by date, or how they scored (coming soon), you can. More on the "Review Section" later.

Moving on to below the "REVIEW" header and link, you'll find the most popular reviews by navigating to one of the following sections:

Racing Games & Simulations

Wheel & Pedal Sets

Sim Racing Chassis / Rigs

Wheel Stands

Periherals

All Reviews

Next section is "NEWS". This will take you to every news entry since we started the site and show in 2007. More on the news section below. Below the "NEWS" link you will find links to every year as an archive for you to navigate. For example there's News Archive 2013, News Archive 2012, down to 2007. If you click on any of those links, it will show you all the news entries from that year.

ISR VIDEOS is the third column from the left on top. You can click on ISR Videos, or the first link "All ISR Videos to see every show or segment that Inside Sim Racing has produced. This does not include driving videos or game captures. Below All ISR videos you'll find links to "This Week Inside Sim Racing Episodes, Interviews and Trade Shows. "Previews" could be anything that is pre-release news on hardware or software.

GETTING STARTED is the next section and it will be populated on November 1st. In it will be multiple resources on getting started in sim racing whether your going for full blown simulations on the PC, or want to race on the console, we'll have resources for you. 

TECH has links to a variety of section that offer technical assistance with articles about a variety of subjects. You can find information on Video, Sound General Tech, Hi Tech and Driving Tips here.

FORUMS will take you directly to the most popular sections with our forum. Our forum has become a great resource center where you can discuss anything related to sim racing including this document.

Now that you've gone through the top side of the menu system, the bottom half is a lot more self explanatory with less areas to navigate.

Starting on the left bottom of the "FULL MENU" you will see "CONSOLE RACING". Below that you will find links to the most popular software to race with on the console systems like the Playstation and Xbox. Next to that you will see listings for the most popular "PC RACING" software titles. Each link will take you to every news entry about that particular subject.

Finally are some links to our Store, a link where you can contact us here at Inside Sim Racing and a link If you want to advertise on our website our show.

Now you can CLOSE FULL MENU and get to navigating our site.

SEARCH

Lets keep moving to the right and get to one of many SEARCH boxes. As soon as you start typing something, try "iRacing" and a drop down list will appear with the last  5 entries that have the word iRacing in them. Or you can press "ENTER" and the first 6 topics will display. We plan a list view option here in the future. Try searching for the topic you came to the website for and we hope you find what you're looking for!

HOME PAGE

Lets go back to the "HOME PAGE" and check out more of what you'll find. You can always get to it by clicking on the "Inside Sim Racing" logo.

Next we have a black menu bar that will take you to some of the same places we mentioned in the "FULL MENU" and we'll talk about some of those sections individually below. To the right of these links we have buttons or quick links to our Twitter account, Facebook account, You Tube channel and RSS feed. If you're not sure what an RSS feed is, it's a great way to see all of our news at a glance via your smart phone, tablet, Lap Top, Desktop etc. There's lots of programs out there that do it too.

Next we have some advertisements from our awesome sponsors who we'd like to thank right here. Without them this site and show wouldn’t exist.

Next up you'll find a large slide show that will have the top 6 stories at our site. The first two stories will most likely always be the last two Inside Sim Racing shows. The last 4 will be the last 4 most current news items. You can read the full stories by clicking the "Read More" button.

Below that you will come to the "Current News" section that will have the last 4 news stories as well. "Read More" will take you to the full story as well.

After that is our "Getting Started" module with quick links to 5 areas that can aid you in starting a sim racing career or even enhancing it. That module will be fully available on November 1st.

The next page down, on the left column you will find our "Active Forum Topics". This displays the last forum thread started by anyone in the sim racing community. To the right of that is a module that will display the last "This Week or Month Inside Sim Racing" show.

The bottom of the Home Page begins with our module that has the highest rated reviews scrolling like a slide show. At any time you can click "READ MORE" to go to that entry.

Finally at the bottom of that page is a feed with our most recent "Tweets" on the left and links to our Facebook page and Twitter accounts to the right of that.

Now lets go back to the top which you can do by clicking the little arrow in the bottom left corner.  You can do that at any time by the way.

Lets go to that Black Bar and click on "NEWS"

NEWS

Currently you can only view it in "Blog" format, but plans for a "List" view are in the works for phase 2 of the website.

Beside the most current news entries, this page has some VERY powerful modules. We've mentioned the "Search functionality already and it works the same on this page. On the left column you'll find the last 6 news entries until you hit the bottom of the page. Then you can go to the next page, page, 3, 4 or "LAST". LAST will take you waaay back to 2007 and our very first shows. Please don't laugh too hard.

Now to the powerful modules in our NEWS section. In the right column of the News page you'll find the following modules:

SEARCH

CATEGORIES

THIS WEEK INSIDE SIM RACING

SHOW ARCHIVES

NEWS ARCHIVES

SEARCH.. We mentioned above and is a great Search engine.

CATEGORIES: Lists all or most of the categories that we've covered on our show or in our articles. If a "Category" seems to be missing. Please let us know and we can add it. If you click on any of the categories, it will take you directly to every entry about that topic that is on our site.

THIS WEEK INSIDE SIM RACING: Shows the most current TWISR show.

SHOW ARCHIVES: Is a menu / drop down tree system that will take you directly to every year, month and show that Inside Sim Racing has produced. From current all the way back to August of 2007. If something is missing, please report it and we'll add it to the site. First click on a year, then a month and you will all the shows from that month. You can the click on that show to watch.

ARCHIVES (soon to be NEWS ARCHIVES): Performs the same way as the "Show Archives" module. First click on a year, then a month and you will all the shows from that month. You can the click on that article to read, or show to watch. Inside Sim Racing shows are listed here as well.

Lets go back to the top and check out the REVIEW section now.

You can get the the "REVIEW" section by going to the black bar at the top of any page and it's the second menu item listed. Once at the "Review" page, on the left side of the screen you will find a section that will filter every review many different  ways. We don't currently have all of our scores entered, so that functionality is coming soon. But you can search by manufacturer, racing title or series you're interested in, or sort them all. More than 200 reviews are on the site for you to check out.   You can check multiple items if you want to see what reviews come up.

Once you select your item, or items, click on "FILTER" and you will see the results below in a Blog format or List format depending on your view choice.

Another option in the review section is the ability to "CHOOSE A VIEW" and change the page to "LIST" view by clicking this icon at the end of the black "Filter Review Options" bar. If you prefer Blog format, you can change it back any time with this button.

Also within the filter is the ability to "Search" for words that may be associated with the review.

On the right side of the REVIEW page, you will find the same exact options that are located in the "NEWS" section on the right side. The following modules are available from our REVIEW page

SEARCH

CATEGORIES

THIS WEEK INSIDE SIM RACING

SHOW ARCHIVES

NEWS ARCHIVES

Next item on the black menu bar up top is "ISR VIDEOS"

ISR VIDEOS

This link will take you to a page that has every show or segment that Inside Sim Racing has produced. This does not include driving videos or game captures. This is in Blog" view only with plans to have list view in the future. Shows are listed on the left with the same options as the "NEWS" page on the right.

TWISR

This link will take you to a page that has every This Week Inside Episode that ISR has produced. This does not include driving videos or game captures. This is in Blog" view only with plans to have list view in the future. Shows are listed on the left with the same options as the "NEWS" page on the right.

FORUMS

Takes you to the Forum Index

CONTACT

Takes you to our contact page where you can reach us for one of many reasons.

General Info

Product Review Inquiries

Submit Story

Advertising Inquiries

Email Shaun or Darin

That's all for now. I will be adding images to this document  and edit as needed. Please report any errors or things you think I should add in this thread. We hope you like our new look and functionality of the Inside Sim Racing website. 

I just copied this to the "New Site is Live" thread. You can delete this one if you like.

Oooh, Saxxy Baby! Good design! Less clutter. Very clean.

However, every time I visited your previous site, I primarily looked for two things...

1. If you posted any new shows or features--I think ya got that covered with the larger slide show.

2. I would look at the forums tabs on the left for the most recent posts. Not seeing it anywhere yet (or I'm just old and blind).

I see "Active Forum Topics."

Is there any way the forums tabs could be added back in (include recent) without affecting the beautiful design?

Not sure abotu adding tabs like we used to have 

I just copied this to the "New Site is Live" thread. You can delete this one if you like.

Oooh, Saxxy Baby! Good design! Less clutter. Very clean.

However, every time I visited your previous site, I primarily looked for two things...

1. If you posted any new shows or features--I think ya got that covered with the larger slide show.

2. I would look at the forums tabs on the left for the most recent posts. Not seeing it anywhere yet (or I'm just old and blind).

I see "Active Forum Topics."

Is there any way the forums tabs could be added back in (include recent) without affecting the beautiful design?

Glad you're liking it Apex !

Not sure about adding forum tabs on the home page but will consider it. You can check most recent posts by clicking "View New content" at the right top of the forum. There's actually some very powerful tools attached to all of our accounts for browsing content. 

Not digging the new layout with the boxes. Harder to scan through, and harder to see where new posts are. :(

I know the thread is old, but yes, l'm afraid I have to fully agree - not liking the new board at all. Worse on a desktop PC, but almost given up on mobile version/phone completely, esp now it doesn't have desktop version link at the bottom on there

Have to say I reduced my visits to ISRTV forum by more than a half since the changes came in. Not a huge loss for others, I'm sure, but it is limiting my enjoyment of these forums by a large-ish margin

Fixing wide screen issues (my monitor is 1600 wide and pages don't fit in) might help quite a bit, but I think I much preferred the old one, from the user's POV. I know mods/owners POV would  ve very different, as the guys both commented on how easy it is for them to manage it now.

Have to have the drawbacks I'm sure. I'm just disliking this particular board  software :)

EDIT: just tested - happy image attachments are working well now though
EDIT2: wide-screen limitations seem to be only active on the "home"/index pages though, one you enter the sub-forums they fit into my monitor width

I know the thread is old, but yes, l'm afraid I have to fully agree - not liking the new board at all. Worse on a desktop PC, but almost given up on mobile version/phone completely, esp now it doesn't have desktop version link at the bottom on there
Have to say I reduced my visits to ISRTV forum by more than a half since the changes came in. Not a huge loss for others, I'm sure, but it is limiting my enjoyment of these forums by a large-ish margin

Fixing wide screen issues (my monitor is 1600 wide and pages don't fit in) might help quite a bit, but I think I much preferred the old one, from the user's POV. I know mods/owners POV would  ve very different, as the guys both commented on how easy it is for them to manage it now.

Have to have the drawbacks I'm sure. I'm just disliking this particular board  software :)

EDIT: just tested - happy image attachments are working well now though
EDIT2: wide-screen limitations seem to be only active on the "home"/index pages though, one you enter the sub-forums they fit into my monitor width

This thread is very old and really has nothing to do with our forums. I am currently editing new themes and they are all WIP. Please direct your forum comments and suggestions here: http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/19981-new-forum-software/

Thanks