Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's The Trick To Start a Race In F1 2013?

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been doing quite a few races. And whatever I do, I can't get a proper start. Even if I turn the AI to Amateur, they start quicker than me... What am I doing wrong? Should I avoid wheel spin? Should I just go mad and press 100% gas. How much gas should I use. Please help me guys!

>Cheers!< Jrv01

This is what I love about F1 2013!!! You can't just floor it like in F1 2012! Personally....I feather the throttle on startup and once you've got a little bit of speed THEN I floor it and use KERS to keep up with the pack!!! Not easy to perfect and takes a bit of practice...seems to be a very fine line between wheel spinning and keeping traction!!! Good luck ma man!!!!

You're driving a Formula 1 car (a simulated one anyway) and I'd say that throttle control is JUST AS IMPORTANT as finding your brake points, entry lines, apexes, and exit lines (oh yeah, and there's using the brakes too). Most Formula 1 drivers usually take the apex later so they can get on the throttle earlier and take advantage of the immense power-to-weight ratio of these cars. If you're doing things correctly, you can be on the throttle just before the apex, but you still usually have to regulate the throttle very precisely. Do this a lot, get good at it, and you come to understand throttle and torque steer, and Codemasters has captured this quite well. Essentially, you're not just steering the car with the wheel, but with the throttle as well, and you're trying to stay right on the edge of grip to get the best lap times.

For me, when I'm warmed up and start stringing together a series of turns where I'm right on the edge, I know and "feel" it, and my lap times start dropping, it's actually quite exhilarating. Sometimes it may take me an hour or more to get there (if I haven't been running F1 for a while) but once I'm there, it's addictive.

And as for starting off the line... yes, again, throttle control is very important. You can't "floor" it. You'll get a lot of wheel spin and then a nice view of all the other drivers passing you. In the dry, you're on slicks, and once you loose grip, it's hard to get it back. If you're hitting 100% throttle when the lights go out, I'm surprised you're not turning and running right into a barrier or another car.

I'd recommend going to a Time Trial, and either select the car/team you want to race with (and that can be limited if you're attempting a career season for the first time), or select Ferrari (their cars are set up for fast starts). Just do a lot of test starts (and stops) and pay close attention to whether you're getting wheel spin or not. You've got to find that point between grip and spin. If you have a wheel with good force feedback, you can also "feel" if the car is coming loose, but also, pay close attention to the audio. You might even do this with a chase camera initially so you can watch the tires, but I'd recommend trying to switch back to cockpit view as soon as you start "getting it."

You may even try starts in 2nd and 3rd, just to see how the car behaves.

Really enjoying Formula 1 is about practice, practice, practice.... and oh yes... practice.

...and some more practice.

[practice]

Hi, I've been doing quite a few races. And whatever I do, I can't get a proper start. Even if I turn the AI to Amateur, they start quicker than me... What am I doing wrong? Should I avoid wheel spin? Should I just go mad and press 100% gas. How much gas should I use. Please help me guys!

>Cheers!< Jrv01

yeah spinning the wheels during launch is usually best avoided

Hmmm, didn't know that :P That's an easy lesson to learn in iRacing :)

>Cheers!< Jrv01

part of your question in your original post was "should I avoid wheelspin" , i simply answered your question, but if you knew this already then what was the point of asking the question

part of your question in your original post was "should I avoid wheelspin" , i simply answered your question, but if you knew this already then what was the point of asking the question

Oh, the reason I asked that question is that when I start a race, it sounds very much like the other cars are having wheel spin, so I just wanted to clarify that they aren't. Another reason is that in F1 2012 when you had wheel spin on the start, you were able to get okay starts but not perfect ones. Still thanks for making it clear though!

>Cheers!< Jrv01