Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your F1 2013 PC Impressions and Wheel Settings

19 posts in this topic

At 4pm PT today F1 2013 on Steam was unlocked.  Got the Classic Edition with all the content.  Few impressions after just a few hot lap sessions in some of the classics and the modern cars.  Currently running with single screen, because I don't have matching monitors... and F1 2012/2013 use DX 10 and 11 graphics and won't work with SoftTH.  Hopefully have matching monitors by the end of the year.

FOV is acceptable in the classic cars I drove (the '76 Ferrari and the '92 Williams)... you see just the drivers wrists, still a bit further back than preferred.

But the FOV on the modern cars are still way too far back... you see half way up the forearm.

I really wish that Codemasters made it easier to change these settings.

Using Codemasters' recommended wheel settings... http://community.codemasters.com/t5/F1-2013-General-Discussion/Recommended-Wheel-Settings/m-p/362116

With wheel rotation set at 300, and the settings that are shown a range put right down the middle.

Wheel feels really good.  Lot better than what I experienced with F1 2012 (using their recommended settings, and other players settings).

Overall settings all maxed out running locked at 60FPS... it looks pretty good.  Not the best looking game out there... but nothing ugly or anything that causes distraction/concern.

Look forward to putting in more hot laps, than maybe trying the challenge modes (classic and modern) before I dive in to a career.

Noticing that in replay mode I'm always stuck in fast forward.  It appears the game thinks my pedals are always accelerating.  I've found another thread on the Codies forums with another Fanatec user with the same issue.  Pedals don't show any unexpected input (when not pressing pedals) if looking at the Fanatec control panel.

Thanks for the Codemaster settings, they to work well on the CSW - very smooth.

Game also seems well optimised; runs @ 60fps in Surround (all settings High and VSync on) and the GPU utilisation is around 80%

I booted it up for the first time last night. Shaun had all our preview builds. One thing that blew me away was that my modified T500 with the shift lights, etc all worked out of the box !  Everything was ready to go as far as triple screen settings, wheel, etc. I didn't have to load up the separate software for my lights to work. I asked codies and sure enough, they worked with the guy to make them compatible out of the box. 

As much as some hate Codies for the direction they've gone, I personally think they've done as much as they can to go the sim route while making it accessible to gamepad players (the majority of buyers). I think they've done a great job and deserve to have the license for many years to come. 

Noticing that in replay mode I'm always stuck in fast forward.  It appears the game thinks my pedals are always accelerating.  I've found another thread on the Codies forums with another Fanatec user with the same issue.  Pedals don't show any unexpected input (when not pressing pedals) if looking at the Fanatec control panel.

Figured out my issue with replay controls.  Some more XML hacking as per normal.

But I agree Darin, this is a great middle ground between hardcore sim, and still a realistic experience for gamepad players.  Best overall driving feeling in the series history this time around.  Hopefully the AI isn't as buggy as it has been in prior releases.  Last thing they need to add is a FOV slider... pass that along next time you chat with them.  :)

For people who love classic F1 cars, Game Stock Car 2013 was just released and the 80's Senna McLaren (unlicensed) and 76 Fittipaldi car are both sublime. So is the classic (1976) Interlagos track.

I'm enjoying it on my triple screen setup....big time!!!!

Using a G25.....a few tweaks of the in game settings and perfect......not sure what all the fuss is about with regards to getting certain wheels to work!!! Or is that my newbie side showing!!!! I just tweaked the saturation and linearity and voila.....putting in good lap times!!! Am I missing something here????

I think the handling of the car is a little more sensitive compared to 2012.... Can't put the pedal to the metal so quickly out of corners.....need to straighten up first otherwise it's spin time!!! So that's good yeah!!!

Classic looks a lot of fun.....only had a quick go so far.....but loving the retro feel of it all!!!

Having a boys race night tomorrow where I intend to put it to the test more thoroughly....3 x race rigs, 3 x 360's, 3 x copies of game all in one house!!! Oh and a few beers probably!!! I have a very understanding wife....bless her!!! Who is taking herself and the kids to grandma's house for the night!! GAME ON!!!

It's fun once all the driving aids are off :-P  need to turn on v-sync for the ffb settings to work tho, thought my wheel was broken to start with

That's interesting to know... didn't notice since I immediately enabled V-Sync.  Also note that if you make any changes to their default wheel settings (button mapping, sensitivity, anything) be sure that the "override input type" says wheel, or the FFB again won't feel correct (very heavy and lacking true input).

And yes... getting the back end loose on corner exit (or race starts) due to being too heavy on the gas pedal feels really nice in this version.

One thing about Classic mode I'm noticing... there's not enough challenges.  And I don't think there's any (or many) for the 90's cars (ones with the DLC or Classic versions).  But otherwise they do look and feel really nice.

Hello Everyone,.

Trying out some F1 2013 by Codemasters...a bit fast for an old timer like me...lol... but the graphics are outstanding and look magic on triple screen monitors.
Once I got my G27 Racing Wheel configured I was able to drive a little faster...settings are...
Logitech Profiler,
set to 'Default' first then 'check' Enable Centering Spring in Force Feedback Games...and set Degrees of rotation to 550.
In Game
Advanced Wheel Settings...Steer Dead 0%, Steer Sat 35%, Steer Lin 25%, Throttle Dead 0%, Throttle Sat 50%, Brake Dead 0%, Brake Sat 50%
In Game FFB...Enviro Effects 50%,  FFB Strength 10%, Wheel Weight 40%
In Game Gamma 0.7
These settings are what I have and they seem to work ok....still probably tweek them though

Also had a play with Cyberlink Power Director 11 Ultra with some of my actual race footage mixed with replay footage.

love it, good to hear murrey back on f1, its a fun blast. not a racing experience that I enjoy online though, there are still people that like to use me as a braking aid, these guys baffle the hell out of me as they would have a much better experience if they raced with a little thought of other drivers, but as an offline racer like I say its ok

after a week of trying to play this game ive come to the conclusion that is all it is, a game, its not even simcade but purely an arcade game designed for use with a pad. my biggest problem with it is that with all assists turned off its very difficult to actually lose control of the car, it holds your hand and makes you feel like a driving god and takes away any kind of danger or consequence. whats also a little off putting is how the on screen wheel quickly moves from left to right if you take any curb whilst my inputs and wheel remain smooth, just these two factors alone make it impossible for me too enjoy this as a driving experience and if this is the way codemasters are taking the f1 series then im gonna have to bow out

I picked it up for $25 and as I am a huge F1 fanatic the only selling point for me was the beautiful eye candy CM offers. That being said I never play CM games online or league with them, they are what they are and I typically only use them for quick fun.

The FFB on the T500 is simply awful. In fact, it was better in the 2012 version. Yes, I'm spoiled by all the feedback rf2 has given me but this is not me complaining that "it isn't like rf2". This is me saying it gives me no sense of driving, of being connected or disconnected :P  from the road. Apart from the rumble of the curbs the wheel feels heavy and dead. I've tried my 2012 settings and two others that were suggested in the forums, no difference.

Patch away CM. lol

It's pretty though. haha

Anybody got some settings for the T500 it feels truly awful at the moment and its hardly turning. 

Edit - I had the wheel set to 900 deg rotation in the control panel. Could someone let me know what the correct control panel and in game settings would be for the T500

Wheel rotation is normally 270-300 degrees for any wheel according to Codemasters.

If you've made any changes in the controller section (beyond Codemasters default settings for your wheel type), be sure that the "override input type" says "wheel", or the FFB again won't feel correct (very heavy and lacking true input).

I'm using a G25

Profiler:

270 degrees of rotation (because that's what the wheel ingame turns)

FFB:

100%

10%

10%

Ingame:

FFB:

And to my surprise it works like a charm. The ingame wheel turns 1 on 1 with mine, the steering needed in turns resembles what I see in real life on tv except the hairpins, and just the relative sensitivity of the car feels spot on. General feel of the game regarding ffb and all feels much better for me than in previous titles. I'm really hardcore but I actually love this one :)

Edit:

I just completed the Scenario Mode on Gold Difficulty and the Young Driver Test achieving only Gold medals. It was a very challenging and enjoyable experience. I can say now that I love this edition and can't wait to start a 100% distance career with the Lotus team. :)

I've been trying out different settings to get the best possible feel. Going to be tweaking it aswell, feeling good so far but I have a question for settings that cannot be changed in game settings (at least I dont think I can).

Is there away to get rid of the head cam turning when i'm turning the wheel in the cockpit view?

Other question is for Dirt 3, I wanted to drive the cars with 900 degree rotation but when I run with 900 the wheel in cocpit is way out of sync. Is there away to make it sync 1:1 like how you could change the rfactor wheel animation through config.ini?

Decided to return to this game.  I honestly was never 100% happy with the wheel/pedal response (and force feedback feelings) in this game.  I'm sad to say that I'm now having more fun playing this game with my Xbox 360 controller and limited aids enabled (for TCS and ABS).  Odd because I don't mind DiRT 2 with my wheel... and of course it's miles better with iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Kart Racing Pro or any of the Reiza games.  Oh well, hope Codemasters gets it right one year.