Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iRacing President Tony Gardner Interview

16 posts in this topic

Presenting an interview with iRacing.com president Tony Gardner. Shaun Cole sits down with Tony via Skype and talks about the past present and future of iRacing. 

Topics include:
The scanning of Circuit of The Americas, The new Porsche RUF with new screenshots, Bathurst update with a new screenshot, Information about driver swaps, and also talk of iRacing on future consoles. He also talks about future tech tracks, motorcycle simulation and 4 wheel cars.  

All this and more on this episode of Opinion Nation on Inside Sim Racing. We hope you enjoy the show !

iRacing really need to employ more 3D animators. I know it takes a long time to model all the off track assets but really to spend several years on a track is too slow. Surely it simply comes down to man hours. More staff means we get more tracks quicker. Its nice to have every nascar track but the road tracks are bit all over the place. I understand there are licensing issues, but they seem to have spent a decent amount fo change on Nascar licensing, perhaps its time to pay for a license for the tracks of a high profile road racing series

Great questions! Right now I have no other questions in my mind because they were all just answered! Definitely interested about Circuit of The Americas and Bathurst. Plus it would be awesome to get a new F1 car with DRS and KERS!

>Cheers!< Jrv01

This was another amazing interview i really enjoyed it i was always hoping ISR would talk to Tony again and you did which was great you pretty much answered all my questions im really excited about the driver change over stuff after coming out of the 120 mins of thunder race which was fun i believe with driver change system will bring the different time zones closer together and make tighter community.

Very exciting news all round especially new cars and tracks especially AWD system im positive there is no AWD car at this point currently available so i think this will be giant step forward if they get the handling correct alot of games struggle with that

Bathurst im very excited about this as most Aussies will be i just wish they would make Holden V8 super car to create a rival for the ford

One point i want to touch on is modding i don't agree with it i mod games and i know whats involved and what can be achieved through modding i know it carry's good points but i also know it can lead to bad ones but i don't think modding has a place in iRacing if it does i hope its very limited but hey that's just my open opinion we are all different  :cool: 

Anyway i have dribbled on enough once again good work Darin and Shaun you made my weekend a great weekend

Cheers

Mark :cool:

iRacing really need to employ more 3D animators. I know it takes a long time to model all the off track assets but really to spend several years on a track is too slow. Surely it simply comes down to man hours. More staff means we get more tracks quicker. Its nice to have every nascar track but the road tracks are bit all over the place. I understand there are licensing issues, but they seem to have spent a decent amount fo change on Nascar licensing, perhaps its time to pay for a license for the tracks of a high profile road racing series

I think you missed one of the new announcements as well as some of the other great road courses that have been added or will be soon.

Montreal, Bathurst, Circuit of the Americas, Interlagos, Spa, Suzuka Aren't those high profile tracks ??  They also have very close ties to Nascar which makes it easy for them to get the deal to scan those tracks. F1, if you listened to the interview is very difficult to work with and obtain licenses for. I'm very happy they have landed what they have so far. 

Some of the cars now are becoming a bit dated. Eg Riley DP, Falcon FG01 and the 09! Williams

The other cars aren't too bad for me (although everything is still not okay) except for the Williams... I'm a huge F1 fanatic and would love to see someone update it...

>Cheers!< Jrv01

Could they release a tool to community to do trackside objects? Then iRacing would choose best of those and just polish the result? Contributors gets credit for game. I dont care too much about the scenery. More realistic is ofcouse better, but if fans of some scanned track could help to speed up things.

The other cars aren't too bad for me (although everything is still not okay) except for the Williams... I'm a huge F1 fanatic and would love to see someone update it...

>Cheers!< Jrv01

Yeah, but not the current Williams!  If they're going after a current car, go for a front runner.  From the sounds of it it's gonna be quite difficult for them to get the data for a current car.

The problem with F1 is the cars change every year, making pretty much impossible for iRacing to keep up, not to mention F1 teams wouldn't be willing to have outsiders going over their current car and taking picture thus exposing some of the neat tricks they use to push the F1 rules and regulations to the limit.

Best you could hope for is last year's car or the year before.

The one valid point was to make their own Fantasy F1 car, they could very well base it on current F1 rules and regulations, it would be like a new comer on the Virtual F1 scene very much like Caterham and Marusha joining F1?

Just my thoughts.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

The problem with F1 is the cars change every year, making pretty much impossible for iRacing to keep up, not to mention F1 teams wouldn't be willing to have outsiders going over their current car and taking picture thus exposing some of the neat tricks they use to push the F1 rules and regulations to the limit.

Best you could hope for is last year's car or the year before.

The one valid point was to make their own Fantasy F1 car, they could very well base it on current F1 rules and regulations, it would be like a new comer on the Virtual F1 scene very much like Caterham and Marusha joining F1?

Just my thoughts.

Take care

The problem with a fantasy F1 car is that, unless they go and build a real-life one with all the hundreds of millions it would take, they would never be able to prove that the physics of their proposed design are correctly recreated in the sim.  Yes F1 teams use quite a bit of CFD to design cars now, but look at Ferrari for proof that the simulations of parts engineered doesn't always marry up to expected performance on real-life track.

Sure those cars change every year but I'm sure everyone would like a car that is a bit updated with KERS and DRS. The Williams FW31 was the 2009 car. The cars that year had KERS, WHERE IS KERS ON THAT CAR!!!!!!! 

The problem with a fantasy F1 car is that, unless they go and build a real-life one with all the hundreds of millions it would take, they would never be able to prove that the physics of their proposed design are correctly recreated in the sim.  Yes F1 teams use quite a bit of CFD to design cars now, but look at Ferrari for proof that the simulations of parts engineered doesn't always marry up to expected performance on real-life track.

Agreed, Ferrari has had trouble the last few years, their engineers seem to be having problems going from design to a workable car. I also agree that being able to model a iRacing car after a REAL F1 car would be better, realistically speaking, that might not be possible due to the secrecy and licensing of F1. If they can approach something like Lotus or Force India (since I doubt RedBull, Ferrari and McLaren) would be willing to have their car modeled would be kind of cool.

Actually, what would be the ultimate for iRacing would be to have a few cars, it's one of the things I don't like about iRacing, everyone is stuck with a Williams if they want to run a F1 car and so many race series are like that, a bunch of identical cars running around the track. V8 Supercars is another example, just the Ford (I know, Holden doesn't want to license their car) but it would be so much fun to see multiple car manufacturers race in the same race. Bring back the "Brand" loyalty thing in fans and racers. :)

As for the Fantasy F1 iRacing car, they would have to stay within the limits of the F1 rules and regulations when designing it, thus like Ferrari, design it and see how it performs, then start tweaking it till it becomes drive able. They may need the assistance of a F1 car designer and driver to accomplish this. If Alonso, Raikkonen, Vettel and so on were to say that iRacing's fantasy F1 car feel very much like a REAL F1 car..... would you buy it?

For me personally, I'd like to see iRacing revive the 70's Trans-Am racing with these 4 cars, AAR Cuda, Mustang, Camaro and AMC's AMX. all 4 cars could run on track at the same time thus bringing back car brand loyalty and it would be a blast since these cars were beasts. :)

Take care

I think you missed one of the new announcements as well as some of the other great road courses that have been added or will be soon.

Montreal, Bathurst, Circuit of the Americas, Interlagos, Spa, Suzuka Aren't those high profile tracks ??  They also have very close ties to Nascar which makes it easy for them to get the deal to scan those tracks. F1, if you listened to the interview is very difficult to work with and obtain licenses for. I'm very happy they have landed what they have so far. 

I didn't mean F1, they obviously sell their rights to Codemasters and I'm sure its way more than what iRacing can afford. But there are other tracks available. V8 Supercar tracks for instance would be available, so they could scan some of the high profile tracks there. The Gold Coast street course where Indy use to race at would be my first choice. They should throw cash at Indycars and get all of their tracks.