For those of you who have been looking for a sim-grade karting game, there might be a solution now. After seven years of development, version 1 of Kart Racing Pro has now officially been released on Steam, equipped with many features, such as VR support!
“Kart Racing Pro? Never heard of it.”
Although the game has been in development for a very long time now, it can easily fly under the radar, due to the fact that no publisher is backing it. However, ISR did do a test drive a while back.
You might think that the indie-game nature of the game may prevent big features from being implemented, but this is not the case with Kart Racing Pro.
Kart Racing Pro’s feature list is packed. It includes VR support, online multiplayer, a fully-fledged physics engine and real karts and tracks! Here is the full list:
– automotive industry-standard tyre model
– chassis flex simulation
– dynamic track surface groove buildup
– wet track simulation and dynamic drying
– dynamic marbles generation
– tyres pickup of marbles, grass and dirt, affecting grip
– user-selectable driver gestures
– output of CSV files with telemetry data to analyze driving sessions
– a plugins interface allows external programs to receive realtime data from the simulated kart
– LAN and online racing. Dedicated server available
– support of custom paint schemes for kart, helmet and suit
– full modding is possible: advanced users can build new tracks, karts, engines, helmets, … and integrate them with the provided tools
– Oculus Rift and HTC Vive ( SteamVR ) support.
– FreeTrack support
– TrackIR support
– EDTracker support
Bear in mind that Kart Racing Pro does not have an AI for offline racing and there are no plans to add one in future either.
All DirectInput-compatible controllers are supported, but you will have to come up with your own settings to make your wheel and pedals feel the best. No pre-defined profiles are included.
“Sounds cool. How do I get it?”
Should you be interested in Kart Racing Pro, then you can purchase the game on Steam. By the way, the game was a Steam Greenlight community vote.
Also, you should most likely have no problems running it, since its system requirements are extremely low (not for VR of course).
If you need any more information, you can head to Kart Racing Pro’s website, where you will also find a demo and the forums, which provide help and mods.