Triple monitors for iRacing PC requirements

24 posts in this topic

Hey there

I am looking to get into iRacing and was wondering how much RAM and which graphics cards would run a triple monitor setup for a reasonable price, i am not an expert at graphics cards and computer bits and thought someone on here could steer me in the right direction

Thanks  

nVidia GTX 660's and 660 Ti's will be really good. And you'll only NEED about 8 gigs of ram but it's better to have more though 8 will be OK.

I have a GTX660TI in an older quad core AMD system with 8 gigs of ram and my performance with triples is about 80 FPS. It was super easy to use to set up the triples too, I'd recommend it.

Its not just the ram, it is also the vram.  I have 3 24" asus monitors.  When you are at a higher res which you will be either in landscape or portrait, you want more than 2 gigs of vram for each card.  I would get the 4 gig cards min.  They handle the extra res boost and anything else you want to turn on in the settings.  iracing runs fine on 2 gigs, but I would just get the 4 gigs cards and be safe.

The 4 gigs ones are pretty expensive though... Some 680 FTW's and 670 FTW's cost quite a bit though... Still my 2 gig one does iRacing pretty amazingly!

I recommend a single 3gb 7970.

The 7970 is able to drive 3 1080p displays easily in iRacing.

I'd suggest 8gb of system ram, but 4gb would suffice.

A 3gb 7950 would suffice if cost is a consideration, you just might have to settle for a bit less anti-aliasing or some other moderation.

S1mRacer got a pretty good setup. Go with the 8 gigs of ram instead of 4 since you will later on be happy with your purchase the 7970 is a great card since it's not a 2 gig card but not a hyper expensive 4 gig card.

Wow thanks all of you this has been really helpful :) i have two intel 2140 CPU's both at 1.6GHz, will that suffice for what you are suggesting :) again thanks ;) 

I don't know those... 1.6 isn't a lot so I hope that someone here knows more about those cards.

there are two if that makes a difference :)

Well yeah... I believe that since you have 2 you will probably be able to run triples with about 30-60 FPS. I'm not sure since I haven't heard of those video cards before.

Well yeah... I believe that since you have 2 you will probably be able to run triples with about 30-60 FPS. I'm not sure since I haven't heard of those video cards before.

They aren't video cards they're his CPUs.

So he's got 2 CPUs? I've seen that. My i5 runs at 3.4 GHz although without overclocking I can make them run 'bout 3.8. My guess is that those CPUs will do the job pretty well since there's two of them. I've heard that some professionals use double CPUs and people who need to edit films. Those should work great at racing sims!

I run iracing on high graphic with no problems and three monitors, my setup it. Amd six core 2.5ghz, 8gig ramm, 1tb hard drive, Geforce 650gt 2gb graphic card that supports three monitors, and two sound cards for sim vibe,

That's not really a very powerful system by today's standards. I don't know how we'll it will run iracing, you'll need advice from others on that. That processor was a step below the Core 2 Duo series and doesn't have a terribly high clock speed at 1.6 Ghz.

That's not really a very powerful system by today's standards. I don't know how we'll it will run iracing, you'll need advice from others on that. That processor was a step below the Core 2 Duo series and doesn't have a terribly high clock speed at 1.6 Ghz.

yea i know its bad now haha but i am in the process of buying upgrades haha ;) i was just asking if i will need a new CPU ;)

and thanks superspeeder i will give them a try :) 

Hi,

yes you will want to upgrade your hole system, not just your CPU because that platform is not used anyone, and would be a waste off your money.

Depending on what's your budget we could advise you better, just let us know how much you can/want to spend.

Cheers

I'd suggest the new GTX 770 which at $400 isn't too bad, the issue with the 7970 is you can only use the one card. With the GTX 770 if a future release requirements more GPU grunt then it can handle for the triples then you can always add another and SLI them. Crossfire has some issues with stuttering frames, www.pcper.com is a great resource for all the latest graphic cards

I'd suggest the new GTX 770 which at $400 isn't too bad, the issue with the 7970 is you can only use the one card. With the GTX 770 if a future release requirements more GPU grunt then it can handle for the triples then you can always add another and SLI them. Crossfire has some issues with stuttering frames, www.pcper.com is a great resource for all the latest graphic cards

thanks man i will take a look ;)

Hi All

Pink I am with rfernandes on your computer. I have been building computers and using them for sim use since the eighties. While most computers today even laptop can run iracing most older computers would have a tougher time running it well.

Triple screens will stress most older single Video cards but most mid-range modern cards have less issue driving three screens. Today most guys build or buy the best computer that they can afford so they don't have run the computer at it's maximum.

I am running an i7 quad core Sandy bridge at 3.4 to 4.0 using the intel auto turbo boost. I have 8 gig of ram and I have run three 24 inch monitors at 1080P using a single Gigabyte 660ti. But I have since added a second nvidia 660ti to go to 27 inch screens at higher resolutions. That said I have run it on my laptop plugged into my 50 inch TV and had a blast except you can cook an egg on the laptop. Hope this helps!

Francisco Maldonado

TD#200

Hi All

Pink I am with rfernandes on your computer. I have been building computers and using them for sim use since the eighties. While most computers today even laptop can run iracing most older computers would have a tougher time running it well.

Triple screens will stress most older single Video cards but most mid-range modern cards have less issue driving three screens. Today most guys build or buy the best computer that they can afford so they don't have run the computer at it's maximum.

I am running an i7 quad core Sandy bridge at 3.4 to 4.0 using the intel auto turbo boost. I have 8 gig of ram and I have run three 24 inch monitors at 1080P using a single Gigabyte 660ti. But I have since added a second nvidia 660ti to go to 27 inch screens at higher resolutions. That said I have run it on my laptop plugged into my 50 inch TV and had a blast except you can cook an egg on the laptop. Hope this helps!

Francisco Maldonado

TD#200

thanks :) thats helped a lot actually, so basically go new haha ;)