• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   05/17/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

"Insane DIY Video-Game Racing Cockpit" BUILDING PLANS
7 7

41 posts in this topic

That is really awesome and very detailed.  If I had the time and space I think I would go for this myself.  We really want an arcade style racer.

That is really awesome and very detailed.  If I had the time and space I think I would go for this myself.  We really want an arcade style racer.

Would love to isr take this on as their next build episode ;)

What do you guys think?

Thank you very much Shaun!

I'm interested to see if anyone tries to build my rig, and I'm excited to see what changes/mods people will make to it. I would love to see if someone were to take the time to make it easy to take apart in two or three key sections that could fit through doorways. I thought about it when I initially designed it but then became impatient and just wanted to start building! I'd also love to see people work in computer parts like working tachometers, button boxes, etc. I guess I hope someone attempts to build my rig in general! Ha!

Congratulations on everything you and Darin did throughout 2012, I'm looking forward to the show in 2013. The "Year End Recap Show" was a great end to a great year in sim racing. Keep up all the great work!

I am definitely downloading the plans and putting them aside for a later date, will get Dragula done and dusted before I drop this bomb on the missus :D

I am definitely downloading the plans and putting them aside for a later date, will get Dragula done and dusted before I drop this bomb on the missus :D

Haha, awesome man. I'm all about the DIY's. Hopefully she won't give you too much of a hard time about it. I just set up a computer with triple screens and I've already explained to my wife that I will be buying a DIY motion kit from http://simxperience.com/Products/DIYProducts/MotionStarterKits.aspx at some point in time....she was cool with it.  :mrgreen: I'm a very lucky man.

Don't forget, whenever you end up building my rig, feel free to ask me anything you want. I want to help make the build as easy and enjoyable as possible for everyone. Thanks for the interest in my rig and good luck on your Dragula build!

:eek: very understanding partners you guys must have, this is the reaction i would get.. :eek: ..followed by.. :shock: ...and then.. :mad:

Hahahahahahaha. My wife is quite understanding. I hope you get a different reaction, but I can also understand why she wouldn't be too happy also. Good luck!

Hahahahahahaha. My wife is quite understanding. I hope you get a different reaction, but I can also understand why she wouldn't be too happy also. Good luck!

brilliant construction, you need to do a 70's style arcade art design on that, and a hydrolic door, star trek style with the hisssss noise, amazing

Thanks a Ton!!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

I will be starting mine here within the next month or so.  I will post pictures & questions whenever I have them.  I will be planning on painting mine Black, but don't have any plans for finishing the interior.  Any suggestions?

I also have to get a seat, I was going to stop at the local salvage yard, any suggestions here also?, is everything I find going to have the proper mounting brackets?

Regards,

Michael

brilliant construction, you need to do a 70's style arcade art design on that, and a hydrolic door, star trek style with the hisssss noise, amazing

Thank you very much. I do have plans for installing a door that will be able to slide open and close with the push of a button, from outside or inside the cockpit. I just need to learn a little bit more about how to do it first. I did get some good help while in the ISR chat room from JogoAsobi & PaulPridhamRacing a few weeks ago, and I will more than likely be contacting them when I decide to actually install the door. Thanks once again for the kind words. 

Thanks a Ton!!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

I will be starting mine here within the next month or so.  I will post pictures & questions whenever I have them.  I will be planning on painting mine Black, but don't have any plans for finishing the interior.  Any suggestions?

I also have to get a seat, I was going to stop at the local salvage yard, any suggestions here also?, is everything I find going to have the proper mounting brackets?

Regards,

Michael

FANTASTIC! I'm very happy you will be building my rig and I can't wait to see how it turns out. 

My plans to finish off my rig are to wrap 1/4" panels with faux black leather for the interior, with stained wood accents (speaker covers, shifter area, etc.) The exterior I am planning on just covering in a light grey felt material (cheap, haha), and finishing off all of the edges/corners with a small 1" x 1" L shaped moulding that will be stained the same as the accents on the interior. I also have something extra planned for displaying my InsideSimRacing sticker for being honored as a Simrig of the Week. 

My only suggestions for finishing off the rig are what I said in the planning stages above....plan ahead lol. I didn't, and now that's why I have to make all these panels below to wrap, as opposed to wrapping the pieces before assembling the rig. I would say if you are painting it, just make sure if you use plywood like me that you sand it down as smooth as possible so you have a nice even surface, and spackle and sand over all the edges and screw holes. All of the woods blemishes will show up under the paint if you do not prep the wood properly first. 

These are the panels I have cut that I will wrap in the faux leather. The rectangles at the bottom are the speaker covers that I will stain and then apply speaker mesh to the backs of...

20130103114114.jpg

This is the faux leather I have...

20130103114202.jpg

The seat:

I'm probably not the best here for advice on what seat to get, someone else on here would probably know more about mounting it and if a specific seat will need specific brackets. The seat I chose is here, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HK6GU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00 , but I see it is no longer available, it was $120. I didn't need any mounting brackets since it was not being installed into an actual car. I was able to just drill through holes on the sliders it has, directly into my wood base for it. I'm just not sure if every seat is as easy to install as this one was, this is the only car seat I have ever "installed" or worked with. 

Best of luck with everything! Contact me anytime you would like if you have anymore questions or comments. Thanks!

108 ticket downloads and no attempted builds yet? Ha, I've been hoping to see at least someone attempt it. Well, happy racing & building to all! Thanks for checking out the plans!

If you happen to create your own rig or want any help with designing one, please feel free to send me a message/email sometime. Thanks!

If I was to build one of those cockpits, I would have to paint it up to look like a 1980's Pole Position cockpit...

1181242151134.jpg

...or...

11812421527.gif

Oh yeah, that'd be sweeet.

If I was to build one of those cockpits, I would have to paint it up to look like a 1980's Pole Position cockpit...

1181242151134.jpg

...or...

11812421527.gif

Oh yeah, that'd be sweeet.

Classic. 

I had always thought it would be neat to make one similar to "Hard Drivin'" too, only use two real front wheels for the outside to look like an actual car. 

That is sweet. I admire anyone that can build stuff like that, I don't know the first thing about wood working. I wish I could build my own rig but ah well. Enjoy I, it reminds me of the arcades I used to play as a kid.

That is sweet. I admire anyone that can build stuff like that, I don't know the first thing about wood working. I wish I could build my own rig but ah well. Enjoy I, it reminds me of the arcades I used to play as a kid.

Thank you very much for the kind words. 

I can say that I really don't know much about wood working myself, haha. I just enjoy building and I go about it my way. I'm sure if an actual skilled woodworker/carpenter saw my work they would probably faint from the way i go about it. I'm sure you could build your own rig if you tried. Heck to build my rig you really only need a circular saw/jigsaw, and a drill. haha. 

Thanks again. 

Would be interesting to see some sort of wrap around screen in there. I have to believe that with a door, triple monitors or a screen that the immersion would be as good as it can get without a full motion simulator. Does the wood enclosure transfer the sound from your speakers around the rig?

Would be interesting to see some sort of wrap around screen in there. I have to believe that with a door, triple monitors or a screen that the immersion would be as good as it can get without a full motion simulator. Does the wood enclosure transfer the sound from your speakers around the rig?

Hey,

if I could build whatever I wanted without a budget, I would definitely do a curved screen with three projectors...(drooling)... If any kind people on the insidesimracing forums would like to donate old equipment to me I would gladly accept and thank you very much. :D  Ahh jk jk. I do plan on building a triple screen, enclosed, motion rig sometime in the not too distant future. At the moment I've been fighting with myself to just go ahead and hit "check out" button on simxperience.com. That's the first major step. 

I'm not 100% sure what you mean about the question with the wood enclosure transferring the sound around the rig, could you be a little more specific? I can say that it is very loud if you want it to be, and the wood doesn't create any odd vibrations or reverb (I think that might be what you're asking about?). If I were to turn the volume the entire way up, I'm pretty sure I would go deaf after a few seconds. The hardest part seems to be adjusting music in between racing, and the menu screens. I like to have it very loud while racing, but then once the race is over the menu is overbearing. I don't understand why more games don't have options to be able to adjust in game sound versus menu sound. 

Thanks for the interest in my build.

Hello,

Your rig is going to look even better with leather wrapped panels...really good idea. If you do build a triple screen

setup that's enclosed like this one it would be totally wicked.

The g19 keyboard has a windows volume adjuster on it that's pretty useful. 

Best regards,

Sean

I just got done building mine. Made a couple modifications for PC, but what a great rig. Thank you for the plans. Awesome

Wow man, I couldn't be happier to hear that! Any chance you could post up a picture on here sometime? I'd love to see what you've done and what modifications you made to make it more PC friendly. The fact that you are happy with how it turned out is all that matters to me. Thank you very much for using my design and letting me know you did. I had hoped someone would give it a go eventually. 

Did you run into any problems with my plans, dimensions for cutting pieces, anything I forgot to mention that I should have, etc? I'd love to be able to have it on here so if someone else uses my plans and tickets they won't run into any problems on their build. 

Thank you once again. You've made my day, I'm glad you enjoy your new rig. 

Not sure how to post pics on here. The only real modification I made was cutting out the bottom right leg kicker and building a casing around the back to hold my Alienware desktop. I'm going to build a stand for my ipad to use iracing dashboard on. Having issues figuring out what to do with my keyboard tho.

If you want I can email you pictures or if you want to give me some insight on how to put them on here.