Triple Monitor Stands ...What I've Learned
3 3

23 posts in this topic

Some of you may have seen my home made monitor stand that we made for my rSeat rig.(viewtopic.php?f=110&t=6363)

It was a great first effort but I quickly realized my concept had some serious short comings. (Can't blame the builder, he was merely following orders haha).

I've learned a few things and indeed, am still learning. I thought some of my experience might help someone who has never had a stand and is just looking for basic information.

Looking For A Better Solution

triplecompare.jpg

The rSeat Stand :It's main support post comes up behind the pedals which places a 24" monitor too far away for my liking.

Pro: It matches the rig? It looks professional.

Con: Places screens too far away IMHO. Stand goes in front of the rig placing it even further from the wall. $300 price tag.

The Sim Seats Stand: I purchased this stand knowing that we may still create another home made stand, but realizing it won't be anytime soon. After upgrading my stand to triples it became quite apparent I needed them closer.

Pro: Outer leg support means nothing is behind the pedals which allows the rig to sit closer to the wall, it also allows you to move the screens forward, closer to the driver. It's independent of the rig making it more universal. Great price ($220)

Con: It's promoted for 27" screens but my 24" screens have made the outer arms sag. (However, they were willing to help/replace etc. ...we simply did modifications ourselves)

newstand.jpg

Notice the screens are now sitting right at the back of the wheel.

HyperStimulator: I have this pictured to illustrate what has drawn my interest. The support legs are supporting the outer monitors. Knowing it would be much taller than the one in the picture I would imagine the foot base might need some modifying to create more stability in case larger/heavier monitors were used, not sure.

There is another option.

I've been looking for something that will support 27 inches without having to go with something that is expensive and/or custom made and I'm in the process of purchasing the following:

110370713-149x149-0-0_osp+designs+osp+de (without the wheels)

+

8336588_xxlg.jpg X2

Only $200 for the whole lot.

There is another option.

I've been looking for something that will support 27 inches without having to go with something that is expensive and/or custom made and I'm in the process of purchasing the following:

Is there a website for this other option? I'm at a point in my Ricmotech RS1 build that I'm looking for a triple screen option(s)

Easy

Is there a website for this other option? I'm at a point in my Ricmotech RS1 build that I'm looking for a triple screen option(s)

Easy

Sorry, all can be found on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1U6W/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052ATODM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i1

I have the desk so far and waiting on the monitor stands, the desk looks really good for the money.

The Fast Track Sims stand is what you want. Best triple stand I've owned.

fasttracksims.com

Agreed, this is an excellent solution if cost isn't an issue.

The fasttrack sims model is not that different from the Sim Seat stand (it does have better components (hinges etc), hence double the price tag) but essentially it is the same design.

Check the website. Www.monoprice.com. They have some really good monitor stands for a good price. Once i built my new pc and racing rig ill be looking into triple monitor stands

Looking For A Better Solution

triplecompare.jpg

This is what I've learned about triple screen monitors:

- A monitor stand that is independent of the sim rig chassis provides the most flexibility

- Mounting the monitors right behind the wheel provides maximum immersion. The flipside is you cannot see the bottom of the screen. If this is an issue, move the monitor stand back from the wheel by a few inches.

- Don't buy / build a flimsy monitor stand. It must be stable so all 3 monitors sit flat and at the same height.

- Height adjustability is a must. Regardless of how you measure expected monitor height, you will want to adjust it once you sit in your rig.

- The side monitor arms should adjust from at least 0 to 90 degrees

- The side monitor arms should provide flexibility to mount the side monitors either in front or behind the centre monitor, to reduce the bezel width

- The side monitors are close enough to touch when racing, so options to mount additional screens/phones/tablets/keyboard/button boxes/speakers directly to the monitor stand is a big plus.

- My monitor stand legs are quite wide apart. Having flat, square shaped legs rather than round legs helps attach peripherals to it (e.g. Velcro small tablet to the leg)

- The monitor stand must colour match your rig

- Cable routing would be nice

That's my sim rig in the above picture. The stand is very stable at my height as the distance between the feet is very wide plus the feet themselves are big, however it looks like your wheel is a lot higher than mine. It's worth emailing the manufacturer and asking about stability at your required height.

@Beef36 Absolutely! I just wish I could have learned some of those things before building the first one! :lol:

Agreed, this is an excellent solution if cost isn't an issue.

I must add my vote to the Fast Track Sims stand also. The adjustability it provides for positioning your screens are endless. He has a few new designs as well that are not on the webpage but pics are on his FB.

The fasttrack sims model is not that different from the Sim Seat stand (it does have better components (hinges etc), hence double the price tag) but essentially it is the same design.

Agreed, but those components make a giant difference. I could stand on the arms and get little sag, built like a truck.

I must add my vote to the Fast Track Sims stand also. The adjustability it provides for positioning your screens are endless. He has a few new designs as well that are not on the webpage but pics are on his FB.

Another vote for Fast Track Sims. My triple monitor mount, which Mark built specifically to the specifications for my 40" Samsung LED HDTVs, arrived the other day and I've just completed mounting the monitors. Everything arrived packaged very nicely so no scratches or unwanted marks on the stand.

This stand is fantastic, very well built with plenty of adjustability for setting up your monitors the way you want them and is very stable. You can adjust the height, angle (side monitors) and tilt on all monitors. Additionally, Mark offers extra accessories you can mount to the uprights such as his Articulating Accessory Arm and his Articulating Keyboard Mount. If you need something special just ask Mark, he also does custom builds and will soon be working on another item I've requested (I'll post pics once it's completed, we're still in the concept stage right now).

In the meantime here are a few photos of my monitor stand right after I mounted the monitors.

In this first photo you can see that the left hand monitor is set at 0 degrees off of the main monitor and the right hand monitor is set at approximately 70 degrees.

DSC_3013a.jpg

In this photo the right hand monitor is still set at approx. 70 degrees but I've moved the left hand monitor in to around 110 degrees.

DSC_3014a.jpg

Not that you would want to for sim racing but for other needs you could even turn the two side monitors to face in the opposite direction with the same amount of adjustability (keep in mind the stand was not designed specially for this type of mounting so you'd want to mount the center piece on backwards in order to maintain stability or have Mark custom build you a unit with long support legs in both directions).

DSC_3018a.jpg

DSC_3019a.jpg

My whole experience with Fast Track Sims has been excellent and I couldn't be more pleased with my stand and the outstanding service Mark provided. This stand may be a little more expensive but it is well worth it if you're looking for a stand for large monitors, specially built for you and your brand monitor. And like Mayaman stated, the stand is built like a truck, but surprisingly light.

Wow, looks great. What I was really looking for is more design ideas that have worked for others. We built one, we can certainly build another. (MIG & Stick welders) But having copied a bad design only led me to wish I had more info. before starting the first one and I figured others might too. :)... Live and learn.

Man those look sweet!! :D

What's the refresh rate on those screens?

mcunkly, I'm not really sure. Samsung classifies these as 'Clear Motion Rate 120', since that's Samsung terminology I'm not really sure what it actually means. I've read on some sties that CMR 120 is the equivalent of a 120Hz refresh rate but I've also read on other sites that this set only has a 60Hz refresh rate. At any rate I've never noticed any lag while running iRacing or GT5 (that's all I've played using these monitor so far) and the picture is fantastic, only downside (to some) is they are not 3D capable.

Wow, looks great. What I was really looking for is more design ideas that have worked for others. We built one, we can certainly build another. (MIG & Stick welders) But having copied a bad design only led me to wish I had more info. before starting the first one and I figured others might too. :)... Live and learn.

Fast Track Sims design meets (or exceeds) all of the criteria listed before by Beef36, the main design component which works really well is the articulating mounting arms.

- A monitor stand that is independent of the sim rig chassis provides the most flexibility

- Mounting the monitors right behind the wheel provides maximum immersion. The flipside is you cannot see the bottom of the screen. If this is an issue, move the monitor stand back from the wheel by a few inches. - Or raise the screens slightly

- Don't buy / build a flimsy monitor stand. It must be stable so all 3 monitors sit flat and at the same height.

- Height adjustability is a must. Regardless of how you measure expected monitor height, you will want to adjust it once you sit in your rig.

- The side monitor arms should adjust from at least 0 to 90 degrees

- The side monitor arms should provide flexibility to mount the side monitors either in front or behind the centre monitor, to reduce the bezel width

- The side monitors are close enough to touch when racing, so options to mount additional screens/phones/tablets/keyboard/button boxes/speakers directly to the monitor stand is a big plus.

- My monitor stand legs are quite wide apart. Having flat, square shaped legs rather than round legs helps attach peripherals to it (e.g. Velcro small tablet to the leg)

- The monitor stand must colour match your rig

- Cable routing would be nice - Only area lacking but easily taken care of.

+1 again for fast track sims, he's awesome to work with. You get what you pay for, and won't be disappointed.

I'm on my second triple monitor stand, first one was a Aavara triple stand below, which is a desk based stand.

support-ecrans-triple-pour-15.jpg

Currently I'm using a GT Omega Triple monitor stand and I'm very happy with it.

triple-monitor-stand-2091003639-500x500.jpg

I'm on my second triple monitor stand, first one was a Aavara triple stand below, which is a desk based stand.

support-ecrans-triple-pour-15.jpg

this is what im using as well

th_photo_zpsb667467f.jpg

th_photo1_zps96c6a7d2.jpg

guys, i want to buy 3x22" or 3x24" monitors and mount them on a desk close to me: http://isrtv.com/forums/topic/8384-opinions-and-suggestions-for-my-rig/

But what i find is either too expensive for me right now (200$+) or they don't ship to Europe, or they just can't give the angle sim racing requires. Can anyone help me? i contacted Sim Seats if they can ship to Europe, i contacted illusion Motorsports with the same request and i wait.

I don't want to buy the monitors before the mount.. For me the best solution and with a good price too is from Sim Seats, i only hope they can ship to Europe..