• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

ISR - DIY Rig 1 - The Deathmobile - wood rig
14 14

180 posts in this topic

yep i have only shaun cole to blame for this what started off with a pedal and wheel has grown over two years to triple monitor, simvibe, new wheel pedals but having alot off fun.
just wonted shaun to know how he has inspired us all and to say good luck in the future.

marksrignew.jpg

galley off my humble beginning to present

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150171190096108.322149.649426107&type=1&l=f003d4790c

Hi everyone, built my Deathmobile today.  Thanks for the great vid. and everyones posts for ideas.  Added drop foot box, wheels out back and handle up front to move it around.  Waiting for G27 to arrive then will finish wheel stand.  Going to add one more removable board up front so pedals will fit my 6yr old.

post-17745-0-60196900-1391570687_thumb.j

post-17745-0-48640900-1391570717_thumb.j

Ahhh.. this post brings back memories. Love it!

This was my deathmobile from waaay back.

Picture937.jpg

...and over the years it has translated into this...

IMG_20140202_153647.jpg

This is a hobby that never seems to end.

Finished shifter support and painted. Works great! Will probably cut down wheel uprights as they are taller than needed. $20 bucket seat at local pick & pull and $30 worth of lumber & hardware.

post-17745-0-68375400-1392160681_thumb.j

Finished shifter support and painted. Works great! Will probably cut down wheel uprights as they are taller than needed. $20 bucket seat at local pick & pull and $30 worth of lumber & hardware.

very cool i hope you realise their is no going back now once the bug has bitten, lol have lots off fun.

anyone got any ideas how to make a strong solid club sport shift mount for the Deathmobile as my mount was not up to the job and broke.  so need to make a new better one.

anyone got any ideas how to make a strong solid club sport shift mount for the Deathmobile as my mount was not up to the job and broke.  so need to make a new better one.

this is how i did mine, but i do have a big seat box to mount to.

th_preview_image_0_24168872x_zpsf7f34ee8

Take a look at my build thread.

Finally got around to doing my own deathmobile. Has to be little different for now because I built it around using a computer chair until I get a racing seat. Little bigger all around but I love it.

post-15231-0-98848100-1396155148_thumb.j

post-15231-0-16530200-1396155170_thumb.j

post-15231-0-40699700-1396155188_thumb.j

post-15231-0-46298400-1396155210_thumb.j

Finally did my Deathmobile wood rig:

https://flic.kr/p/n5NENH

Has four caster wheels (that locks). I have simvibe with four clark synthesis tst 209 transducers hooked up to a Behringer EPQ304 amp.

Currently using a T500 wheel/pedal set.

Vibrations are good, but not overwhelming: not sure if I need a stronger amp, stronger transducers, or both.

Still fine tuning simvibe, and it's great, but I think I just want them stronger. Maybe it's where I attached them?

https://flic.kr/p/n5QzPu

P.S. Why can't I attach pics? It says file extension (it's a jpg) not allowed in this community...

Finally did my Deathmobile wood rig:

https://flic.kr/p/n5NENH

Has four caster wheels (that locks). I have simvibe with four clark synthesis tst 209 transducers hooked up to a Behringer EPQ304 amp.

Currently using a T500 wheel/pedal set.

Vibrations are good, but not overwhelming: not sure if I need a stronger amp, stronger transducers, or both.

Still fine tuning simvibe, and it's great, but I think I just want them stronger. Maybe it's where I attached them?

https://flic.kr/p/n5QzPu

P.S. Why can't I attach pics? It says file extension (it's a jpg) not allowed in this community...

JPG's are allowed.. That's odd.. Maybe it was too big ?

Ok I decided to work on this because I'm going to be building my own soon. I wanted to change the design a bit. I want the wheel close and the shifter closer. I also wanted to reverse mount the pedals. I'm still not sure if this idea will work so great or not but anyhow I came up with a slight plan revision.

Used Photoshop CS6 to make this.

I imported the real life seat, wheel and everything I'll be using to try and get the scale of things figured out.

nJ55p7i.png

I'll be visiting lowes soon and buying 2-3 2X4 and some 2X3 for the support struts on bottom. I might even use 2X3 for the wheel holder struts.

Not sure yet.

kIgwjCc.png

This is a color I might end up going with . burnt orange or something. I want it to match the Porsche 911 GT3 that is on the Fanatec box

I dont suggest using 2x3's   Stick with 2x4's for the base and wheel stand, You Dont want to induce any un wanted flex.

I dont suggest using 2x3's   Stick with 2x4's for the base and wheel stand, You Dont want to induce any un wanted flex.

I read earlier some users reported good results using 2X3's but yeah that is probably the best way to do it. Using 2X4

Thanks Nick.

Today went good for my build

I picked up 2x more L brackets for the top post. making it more sturdy.

I drilled 4 pilot holes in the top deck to mount my wheel. and went down to lowes to buy 4x M6 - 1.00 X 60 bolts to fasten it to my rig

Those worked out well and it's securely mounted now.

I realized something sitting down;  The wheel is 2-3 inches too low. meaning I'll need to cut another 2X4 and change it out for the current center post.

After that my plans are to fabricate the G27 invert pedal holder and bolt it to the framing of my rig.

That is coming tomorrow or sometime when I can design or plan. I've been running thoughts through my head but haven't settled on one thing yet.

Then comes the fanatec shifter mount. Those are going to be tricky. I'll probably go buy some very long 5-6 inch carriage bolts and nuts to mount it to my 2X2 lumber on the side near the area it would be in a real race car.

Thanks Nick.

Today went good for my build

I picked up 2x more L brackets for the top post. making it more sturdy.

I drilled 4 pilot holes in the top deck to mount my wheel. and went down to lowes to buy 4x M6 - 1.00 X 60 bolts to fasten it to my rig

Those worked out well and it's securely mounted now.

I realized something sitting down;  The wheel is 2-3 inches too low. meaning I'll need to cut another 2X4 and change it out for the current center post.

After that my plans are to fabricate the G27 invert pedal holder and bolt it to the framing of my rig.

That is coming tomorrow or sometime when I can design or plan. I've been running thoughts through my head but haven't settled on one thing yet.

Then comes the fanatec shifter mount. Those are going to be tricky. I'll probably go buy some very long 5-6 inch carriage bolts and nuts to mount it to my 2X2 lumber on the side near the area it would be in a real race car.

Hey TrashMan what a progress:) Now you have a riiiig! Btw you can put Gas pedal down in normal possition to fit Porsche car style:) With wood is easy to do.

Nice job buddy, it's great building your own rig from your own hard work....I've just finished mine, and it feels great knowing I did it all myself!!! (Except for the design that is....I bought the plans from a guy on the internet).....it's called the Microbase R6 mk 2.

Are you going to paint it??? If so....make sure you use plenty of primer...a few good coats,so that it sinks into the grain of the wood and then gives a smoother surface for painting....that way the paint won't sink into the grain and sit nicely on the primer.

Much better finish that way ;)

I'm yet to put gloss on mine and then decal it up to really finish it up!!! But I had to play with it for a bit first!!

Good luck in finishing it off

post-14186-0-95737100-1401994863_thumb.j

Nice job buddy, it's great building your own rig from your own hard work....I've just finished mine, and it feels great knowing I did it all myself!!! (Except for the design that is....I bought the plans from a guy on the internet).....it's called the Microbase R6 mk 2.

Are you going to paint it??? If so....make sure you use plenty of primer...a few good coats,so that it sinks into the grain of the wood and then gives a smoother surface for painting....that way the paint won't sink into the grain and sit nicely on the primer.

Much better finish that way ;)

I'm yet to put gloss on mine and then decal it up to really finish it up!!! But I had to play with it for a bit first!!

Good luck in finishing it off

I probably will paint once everything is the way I want it.

I realized I have a spare 19'' monitor not being used so I'm going to bolt it directly to the unit now. It is a little on the heavy side so I'm going to need to figure out how that will be done and still keeping strength of the overall build.

Now lastly I want to add that I do think your setup is very cool. I would also think that black is a good color to go with.

Thanks for the big tip of using primers.

I will make sure to do that!

Great job TrashMan.....I always preffer to follow topics that from nothing ppl do big things;)

Really Great Racing Rig.

Oh and I like the cable management - thing that I cant point myself :)

This was my last sim build and it was cheaper and more durable then the death mobile. I am in the process of making a better one now. I will update you. If anyone asks the seat is from a 1992 Subaru SVX cost was $15 because is was the right seat. I could not get the drivers seat out. If you want a very comfortable seat cheap.

post-15520-0-97503600-1405300703_thumb.j

post-15520-0-92900500-1405300704_thumb.j

post-15520-0-86360000-1405300705_thumb.j