• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

ISR - DIY Rig 1 - The Deathmobile - wood rig
14 14

180 posts in this topic

I had to chop down my rig and use it as an office chair cause my fat a$$ keeps breaking those <$100 chairs... I might be moving to AZ where I can rent a place 3-4 times bigger than my current place for half the price, so hopefully I'll have money to build a really great rig based off of this... Anyone in AZ hiring? I have many skills including being AAA Certified Tow Truck Operator and Cable Installer...

Although I'm thinking of basing it off the cockpit of my 02 Mustang with a few tweeks...

Well time for me to get a little serious with my rig because currently i'm using my coffee table with one of those foldable gaming chairs for a ten year old ^^

I'm going to give this Deathmobile ago, I've already paid for a car seat which I put a deposit on and need to go pick it up on Tuesday. All I need now is the wood and screws (must not forget the wood glue ^^) and the brain cell's to build it :)

Project will Probably start on Tuesday, I can't wait to sit in this baby :D

Finally it's been built :D

Also I bought the T500RS and shifter to go with my new rig.

Cant wait to give it a proper go, I'm currently stuck at work but my mind is all on my rig! :DDD

post-13554-0-96520200-1372448838_thumb.j

post-13554-0-80275900-1372448872_thumb.j

post-13554-0-47333300-1372448900_thumb.j

Hi everyone, I've just moved into a new house & I get a mancave! So a cockpit is required.

I've taken inspiration from this build but not following it exactly.

I'm starting off with an xrocker gaming chair that I've had a while, it's comfy for long periods of time & it has speakers built in which is a bonus.

My plan is to have a much lower slung rig than this, more of a GT car feel, using the seat as the basic width. I am lucky enough to have a fiance that bought me a T500rs wheel & pedals, the floor for the pedals will be at a slight slope & they won't be attached, just chocked in so they can be moved back & forth as the seat will be static. I have made a start by attaching legs to the xrocker, not the full length of the rig as it needs to be in 2 parts for storage reasons (the seat folds into 2)

Only the one pic so far to show the general size but hope to have it finished by this weekend :)

557313_511930025528928_2121242694_n.jpg

Hi there everyone, Since in the video they say that the "Deathmobile" is built like a tank, Would it hurt to use 2x3's to replace the 2x4's, I am just wondering because i plan to start one, and i'm looking for ways to save weight if possible.

Thanks, Simon.

Hi there everyone, Since in the video they say that the "Deathmobile" is built like a tank, Would it hurt to use 2x3's to replace the 2x4's, I am just wondering because i plan to start one, and i'm looking for ways to save weight if possible.

Thanks, Simon.

I used 2x3s for all except the vertical brace.  It is still a tank - so much so that I incorporated a monitor stand as part of the rig and the monitor does not shake one bit no matter what I do.  I also wanted to save weight or at least reduce it for lifting during transportation.  I built the rig to allow easily splitting the wheel stand and seat platform into two separate sections.  Obviously you need them connected when driving for stability so I made a simple joint and bolt the two together.  When apart, I can easily lift them on my own and it fits in the back of my car.  Transporting isn't all that common but it sure makes the nephews happy when you show up at Grandma's house with it.  Actually brought it into the office and hooked at least one new sim driver as well.  

My design is slightly different from the deathmobile design.

I wanted it to be light and easy to dismantle. It is working great and i'm so glad I spent the time and energy to build it.

post-13554-0-57130300-1375573017_thumb.j

I used 2x3s for all except the vertical brace.  It is still a tank - so much so that I incorporated a monitor stand as part of the rig and the monitor does not shake one bit no matter what I do.  I also wanted to save weight or at least reduce it for lifting during transportation.  I built the rig to allow easily splitting the wheel stand and seat platform into two separate sections.  Obviously you need them connected when driving for stability so I made a simple joint and bolt the two together.  When apart, I can easily lift them on my own and it fits in the back of my car.  Transporting isn't all that common but it sure makes the nephews happy when you show up at Grandma's house with it.  Actually brought it into the office and hooked at least one new sim driver as well.  

Alright, Thanks for the reply! Can't wait to start mine!

Finished mine, TV is a bit small but it's just there til I decide on a bigger TV or a projector.

Only used the one upright, has a bit more flex than I would like but it will be easily fixed a new board on the top which I will get round to eventually.

Other than that, works well, quite  a low seating position which is what I wanted, have since covered the floor of it with carbon fibre vinyl to add a bit of grip for the pedals.

935859_514119215310009_672623741_n.jpg

Hi everyone!

This is my take on the Deathmobile, very simple and very comfy. Thanks for the inspiration!

post-14548-0-61019400-1376985167_thumb.j

Gear:

• 3 x 21.5 monitors (3x27" or oculus is on the wishlist)
  • Ford Mondeo seat with a cheap cover for comfort and looks.
  • GT3 Rs v2, CSR Elite pedals, modified porsche shifters.
  • 2 simvibed basshakers.  Rig is isolated with doorstops, works great, almost no complaints...
  • And of course a cupholder.

Will add some more things over time... ever evolving..

/Henrik

post-14548-0-61019400-1376985167_thumb.j

Awesome build guys!! I looked at your drawings and built my own rig, I did change a few things along the way such as using less heavy profile wood, so that its easier to move as I haven't got a permanent racing computer because I play shooters as well. But overall it looks very similar to yours. I took some pictures for you guys, and other people who want some ideas as to what other people have done, such as myself.

post-13526-0-79994400-1377094628_thumb.j

post-13526-0-32725000-1377094648_thumb.j

post-13526-0-62511900-1377094668_thumb.j

post-13526-0-98542500-1377094694_thumb.j

post-13526-0-96431300-1377094726_thumb.j

post-13526-0-31720500-1377094749_thumb.j

post-13526-0-50387600-1377094780_thumb.j

post-13526-0-29817000-1377094821_thumb.j

post-13526-0-94822000-1377094863_thumb.j

My turn.

Total cost less than $30, which went for a couple of fasteners and washers, furniture sliders, and a new small drill bit set ($13 of it). The <$30 is including my gas and other useless junk not used.

It will look a little better when I get some paint and carpet (gonna try to get the carpet for free too), and reroute the wires.

The shifters are mounted with the "chopsticks" I cut and then clamped them with the pieces wood and screws. They are solid as a rock.

Sheetrock screws are from a prior project. Seat from a Toyota for free, and all the lumber was free scrap.

One of the pics is my favorite piece. The pedal base is now even with the floor board. I can now just slide my feet right up to the pedals.

DSCF0990.png

DSCF0989.png

DSCF0988.png

Ran a few test laps. The angle of the wheel without the adapter is awesome(whew), the sequential is in the perfect spot for me and the muscle memory is perfect for me to use the clutch with it. Using the paddles with the clutch was too awkward for me. The H-shifter is now in the perfect spot, but I will have to relearn its location.

Until I can set this in its own corner, the furniture sliders work pretty good. I think I may add a couple more.    

Quart of Krylon and a disposable brush set me back another $9. Didn't even use a half pint. Piece of carpet free :mrgreen:

Wires go straight down through top and are all routed underneath and down the frame rails with all the excess tucked in the base, except for the ends so I can plug it in.

I'll add an shelve system to the right side for my tower and peripherals when I replace my tv and can have this one as my monitor. It will also be another 4" closer.

post-13742-0-10118500-1380350175_thumb.p

I have started my own deathmobile, as a bonding project with myself and my future stepfather. So far, it's going quite well, and I'm hopefully going to finish it this week :D

Some photos from the build so far:

10149548853_bc2a1c6ea0_c.jpg

The seat I bought from my local Pick-N-Pull. It was a little pricey compared to others people had bought, at $40, but I feel like it's in good enough shape to justify it.

10149322784_7ebb1b8a80_c.jpg

Just got the seat mounted this morning on the frame, feels quite nice :)

10149422815_401e67f18f_c.jpg

Just installed the shifter mount about 15 minutes ago, feels quite nice :) A little low, but definitely usable, and I'm also going to get a TH8RS soon, and I think that will be perfect placement!

I'm also going to be trying to construct a keyboard/mouse tray, that I can use in the cockpit, like an Obutto style :)

What do you guys think so far?

On your way. Seat looks good too.

I suggest adding an gusset to your shifter mount though.

Well, I added a gusset to the shifter, and I then added another brace. Then I got on a roll:

10164867086_e690a0cd6d_c.jpg

Then I noticed the wheel deck was 2 inches too high, so I trimmed off two inches, and it made a huge difference. Feels like sitting in my real car!10164691394_5f4d6d139b_c.jpg

Next step tomorrow, sanding and painting! I'm getting excited :D

Looking good.

If the wheels and pedals placement feel like your real car now, then it is perfect.

Well, I painted the cockpit, put it in my room, and set it up: 

10278456206_2c3b9aac44_c.jpg

I am considering creating a different system for the shifter mount, but I'm not sure yet. I also want to develop some way to incorporate a keyboard/mouse tray to maybe hinge onto the uprights, so when I'm not racing, I can use it as a PC desk. I'm looking to upgrade to a CSW come Black Friday, and the QR system would allow me an uninhibited view of the screen when I'm not racing as well, which would be a plus :)

Hi All,

This is my first post. I have just started the whole sim racing thing and today i finished my rig. I kept it under budget. Hope you like.

post-16338-0-57808100-1387695802_thumb.j

I'm building mine this weekend.  I have one question though:

If I add 3 inches to the overall width, would that be the correct measurement to not have to offset the seat holder 2x4s like in the video, and in a lot of people's builds? (19.5" cross braces rather than 16.5").