• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

ISR - DIY Rig 1 - The Deathmobile - wood rig
14 14

180 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone for sharing your Deathmobiles ! We've started a craze ! What a great affordable way to have a rig though.. $61 from "Up2Late"..

Hi, I'm new here, and this is my 1st post.

I have done the math, and I believe I can do the rig for less than $30 (obviously without the seat). For the seat I will be going on Craigslist and or ask the Home Depot Manager if they have some old broken office chairs I can take off their hands for free...

My rig though (since I live in a teeny, tiny, itty, bitty Apartment), will be able to fold up to store out of the way. I will be getting the wood today (8-25-2012) at about noon Pacific Time. A guy on Craigslist says he has some 2x4s for free in the sizes I need. I already have the MDF (sorta, more like particle wood, the stuff you spill a drink on and it expands) from a bed set a neighbor threw out. Screws, My dad has, so that's free to me. I might go out and spend a few bucks (quid, for you UK people (o.-) wink) on some hinges, but I might be able to get the screws to do the work. So, all-in-all I should be close to $0.00 but if I have to end up going to Home Depot, I'm only going to need $15 of wood. Currently in my area, they are showing White Douglas 2x4 (8 Feet long) at under $3.00 each.

UPDATE!

I have now, literally, 2 full hours in (not including breaks for video length problems and other necessities) on cutting, but I was talking and explaining every little detail as well. I am asking you ISR, if you can help me, with a serious problem... I'm no genius when it comes to speeding up, melding clips editing out sounds and all that stuff you did in your video. If I were to send you a Data CD or SD card with the videos I have, could you do your magic with them and meld them into say a 45minute video I can then post, please? I give you full poetic licensing, just don't make me look like more of an idiot than my sister keeps calling me...

UPDATE AGAIN!

I have now completed the chassis but I am so tired of this I think I'm not going to paint this one. If there is a time that I will do this with brand new lumber, I will take the time to paint it, or better yet, I'll take it to an auto repair shop and have them paint it... I didn't show the last part of setting up the uprights to the desk area in my video, yet to complete with a walk around, but you show it perfectly enough ISR. Anywho, I will definitely take some pics. Also, being 6'4"+, with the 29" uprights I lifted off the floor 1 inch, its ok now, but next time I will remember to make them maybe 34". I screwed up in a few places, like cutting with a manual saw half way through the wood then hammering on it to break it at the line didn't work, and haha, my drill bit got stuck too, but I was using one my father used on a 1/4 inch plate of steel, I split one of the uprights cause I didn't pre-drill the holes... it looks good, has some rocking but on carpet you wont notice...

All Done, ALL FREE!!!

2012-08-26100023.jpg

2012-08-26100040.jpg

2012-08-26100100.jpg

UPDATE! (after build mods)

Now that I have finished the rig, this is what I have done and what I'm going to do.

I moved the "29 inch" upright away from the seat and is now 29 inches away from the front of the seat.

I had a piece of MDF from the board I had that had a larger surface and used for the wheel area.

I will be using casters on the bottom to make it easier to move out of the way.

My seat limits how much folding I can do, I might cut it off at the seat and hinge the front up.

OR I might just make it 2 pieces and have latches to tie them together (better idea)

I'm thinking of putting a small lip on the front of the desktop so I can double it as my laptop table.

I put a backing piece on the floor so I don't go pushing the pedals off the end.

I cut down the edges of the desktop but may have cut them to long and the grips of the DFP might not catch but there's enough board there to start over.

2012-08-26185227.jpg

Great work on the Death Mobile ISR and all yee guys! The only problem I see with it is the lack of a shifter mount... however, being a home-made rig and made of wood, someone could probably come up with a plan on how to add one.

I've already gone for SIMUL8R's PVC rig. Not built yet, but it sure is easier to build for someone like me, since I don't have the tools for working on wood and cutting it. Simply got my PVC pipes cut to correct length, now just have to glue it together!

Well I have plans to add one, I have already modded my gtp for the ebrake and am going to run one for reverse, cause that's a huge pet peeve of mine on the gt series... but if someone (you) would buy me the thustmaster 500rs with the shifter, ill mock one up and show you how to add one....

Well I have plans to add one, I have already modded my gtp for the ebrake and am going to run one for reverse, cause that's a huge pet peeve of mine on the gt series... but if someone (you) would buy me the thustmaster 500rs with the shifter, ill mock one up and show you how to add one....

Sorry! :lol: There's a reason we're all going for budget DIY rigs... can't afford fancy shiny T500 RS with all the oooo's and aaaaah's!

Thanks for the inspiration!

After many months of racing with a regular ps3 controller, I decided to buy a T500RS. With only a few euro's left in my pocket, the Deathmobile seemed a cheap and solid solution for a simrig.

I already had old movietheater chair and a thick panel of solid wood to clamp the wheel on. All other parts i bought.

- 3x carpet tiles 50x50cm > €2,50 each / €7,50 total

- Discountpack pine timber: 4 beams of 44x69mm - 210cm > €15,79

- 1 chipboard 8mm: 125x62cm > €4,99

- Discountpack torx screws 5x70mm 100pcs - €9,59

Grand total: 38,05 EURO (= 49,60 USD)

I've chosen for a smaller size beam as the ones in the video to cut some costs. Even with these smaller beams, this rig is super sturdy. The 8mm chipboard is somewhat too flimsy. In hindsight 12mm a better choice. The carpet tiles are an cheap and easy way to cover chipboard floor. The carpet also prevent the pedals from sliding.

post-19928-135485935551_thumb.jpg

post-19928-135485935542_thumb.jpg

post-19928-135485935559_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Darin and Shaun and all the participants in this thread I decided to give the Death Mobile a go too:

7wl2o5ynv4sj-large.jpg

zv8qla0yjfg2-large.jpg

some more images:

http://www.yogile.com/simrig

I added casters to be able to move it around. Also added the beer holder on the right. It's held with velcro underneath. The pedal wires drop down underneath through a hole to hide them.

cost breakdown:

Wood: $33

Screws: $17 (lots leftover)

Paint: $18

Casters: $34

Cup Holder: $8

Sparco Seat: $100

Total: $210

Time: 10-15 hrs (as a newbie)

I may add a tablet arm/bracket on the wheel deck to hold our ipad nearby for close viewing... There is enough space for the mouse on the right side of the wheel deck which is nice.

It's rock solid, didn't need the extra braces on the wheel deck. As the boys mention in the video, the one thing you walk away from this project with is knowing you spent the hours to build it so no matter what it rocks.

cyas

Would making the cross braces 2 inches longer fix the issue of the overlapping seat holders?

Ya I guess it would ( doesn't really seem to be a problem though ) but remember to account for the extra inches where necessary.

FYI since the finished photos were taken I have tacked all the wires on the inside of the uprights for a much cleaner look.

Just finished up my "deathmobile" today,  Works perfectly for the small space I had to work with.  (beats my previous location - the closet - see  http://youtu.be/a0BbQE0sNH8 )  .   Thanks to ISR for the inspiration.  G25, csp v2 pedals, cst shift light, ancient PC, and buttkicker gamer.  

Buttkicker is mounted to base with a pipe flange and short pipe.  Really shakes the whole rig perfectly.  Monitor mount is seperate so the buttkicker doesnt shake it.  Whole rig is on casters w/ brakes so it can be moved with ease.  Seat taken from my real life race car '04 Focus SVT.  Shifter mount is just a 1x2 and a small 2x4.  Button box is a torn apart pc gamepad with switches and box from radio shack.  All cords fit underneath so everything looks neat.  Dimensions i made mine are a good bit different.   Skinnier and longer (i'm 6'5").  The guys did a great job with this design, its very sturdy.

PS, back in the Sim Racing Tonight days i raced on their team at the 2008 SSCA 8 Hours of the Ring.  Was a lot of fun.  Thanks to Shaun and Darin for a great show for all these years.

I'd like to get in on the Deathmobile love. I spent this week building one using the seat out of my E36. G27 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, so the GFP is temporary. Also pending are a paint job, and frame to lower the TV and bring it in closer to the rig.

hXqv8.jpg

cvDrH.jpg

Thinking of under taking this myself, however I am modifying the design a tad, adding housing to the left of the rig for my computer, housing to the right for my amp and probably just some ply upfront to mount a monitor to. Currently working out the design problems I am encountering with where to place my PS3, keyboard, mouse and speakers now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is essentially going to render my desk useless if I can get a comfy enough car seat.

Just built this cockpit tonight, took about 3-4 hours, just have to paint it yet but was to excited to try it out.  turned out great, thanks!

Just adjusted the original plans to kind of show what I hope to achieve. I haven't yet put measurements on the designs but I do have them noted down elsewhere.

computerhousing2.jpg

As you can see I have mirrored the image just to get an idea of what it will look like on the left hand side. I also have a cut out area for fans and the top will be completely open as will the back be for ventilation.

deathmobileamp.jpg?t=1360245772

As you can see this is just a simple plan for an amp casing, not particularly sturdy but the rig won't be getting moved.

EditedPlans.jpg

Just a rough top down view of the whole set up.

Plans0001.png

Finally, this is how I hope to mount it to the rig, hopefully be rigid enough. Now I just need to sort out a monitor stand and hopefully speakers as well.

Ya I guess it would ( doesn't really seem to be a problem though ) but remember to account for the extra inches where necessary.

FYI since the finished photos were taken I have tacked all the wires on the inside of the uprights for a much cleaner look.

great work LT,  and with rooster looking over you what can go wrong... :-P

Update: A few days after I posted version 1.0, I built a stand for the TV and front speakers, upgraded to a G27, and built a monster of a gaming computer to sit alongside it. Saving money now to Eyefinity it to a 3-screen setup with a pair of 32" TVs on the sides.

I had my next-door neighbor pose for the pic.

D2lslcw.jpg

Before anyone asks, the PC:

Quad-core i7 @ 4.2ghz, liquid cooled

16GB RAM

128GB SSD

Radeon 7770 1GB video card

I'm currently getting my sim-feet wet with the Simbin series, and with every option (including FSAA) maxed out, this computer is running at about 18% processor power. LOVE IT!

Gday fella's BobBuilt here from www.x-sim.de, we could add 2dof motion to this seat for around $500 and you would have a real sim with motion.

Top little idea thou

Well done guys.

I use my setup with your game simraceway, and it was fun until I sold it to fund a new design for racing and flight.

Any information wanted glad to list and maybe write a tut or two here for guys to adapt motion to there own rigs , this is what our community is all about.

Share the information and to help new users to realize there dreams can come true.