• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

ISR - DIY Rig 1 - The Deathmobile - wood rig
14 14

180 posts in this topic

I was looking to buy a rig, but being stationed in Hawaii the shipping added to (on my budget) already expensive rigs decided against it for now. My friend showed me this site and this video a few days ago so yesterday I picked up all the materials. I used a jig saw, I don't suggest it. I live in the barracks and built it with minimal tools and no table to work on, not to mention I have no woodworking experience. But all and all for about 60 bucks in materials I am pretty happy. I put my steering deck on already even though I am not getting my car til tonight, but once I started I couldn't stop til it was done. If it ends up being too bad off line I can always just re screw it. Anyway got the stuff yesterday, and build it today, took me about 6 hours from start to this picture. I also put a little lifter for the peddles.

img0651ch.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img0653l.jpg

img0655rz.jpg

Thanks for the great video, and I am glad I found your site.

170$ for the seat at O'Rielly's here in Oahu. I figure I will probably use it for another rig at some point so not to shabby.

great work as usual, show is well addictive.

Shaun looked to be on a zone of his own...very clear instructions too...

thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.

Dan, Belfast, UK

Ps would like to see Jessica helping out with your next project :-)

Well first post on here and i have been looking at all your stuff and thought i wanted to make one, so this weekend i made one, here is a few pics of how it went

fbimg13349936811646853.th.jpg

fbimg13350222225773586.th.jpg

fbimg13350222462538967.th.jpg

fbimg13351129513583890.th.jpg

fbimg13351129857581894.th.jpg

img201204222045051.th.jpg

img20120422210202.th.jpg

as u can see i didnt follow exactly the design, just simply to make it easier for me to get in and out.

Took me afew hours to build it and then afew more hours to paint it, had a quick race on iRacing lastnite and solid as a rock!

I am going to help my brother in law build this rig over the summer. Giving him my old MS Wireless Racing wheel to use on it.

Hey, just out of curiosity, did you cut everything without rip guide or something like that? I really wonder how you can cut mdf without any guide...

As per my last post here, many thanks for sharing this Mr.Shaun Cole. Instructions were 100% accurate.

Took me and a friend of mine around 6 hours to complete and we still have to paint the rig. But, boy did we have fun...

IMG_9415.jpg

The rig it self is SO sturdy with absolutely no wobble at all, one of the best rigs I have sat in and probably the cheapest.

IMG_9409.jpg

Only one Hick-up and that was the rails. We got a old rusty set out of a old Vauxhall Corsa and had to turn them up-side-down.

Total cost of the rig;

Material's: £30

Seat: £50

+ paint £?

I will upload photo's of the completed rig soon.

PS We have named ours "Stiff Woody" ;)

Cant someone recalculate the measurements in cm??? i am from Belgium ....

haha, im use metric too, here's my plan in cms (I changed some of the dimensions to fit my seating style so you could change them too :P)

7243113974_0d5c997579_c.jpg

the length of the angle cut upright supports is hard to measure, just mark where you should cut it like shaun did in the video

some of the dimensions of the lumber are really weird cuz that's just what they sell here at a local shop...

Nice rig there DirtySerb. I will come and try it out some day I promise hehe. Nice to see that the seat I had over fits nice in that rig hehe.

Cant someone recalculate the measurements in cm??? i am from Belgium ....

Hey da's toevallig, ik heb er mijn kop ook al over gebroken en alles je alles gewoon omrekend klopt het plannetje niet meer. In de States werken ze met "2 by 4's" en die hebben ze in Europa niet. Gewoon vertrekken van de afmetingen op de foto is het handigste. (What a silly language, dutch :D )

Attempt to explain in english;

I did tortured myself trying to convert everything. Eventually you are gonna have to settle with wathever size the "2 by 4's" are at your local DIY store. So it turned out al the drawings i made ahead were useless.

If you use the correct :evil: measuring system (metric) :twisted:, the 3 important lenghts are on the picture below.

the basic measurements that are important:

playseatbasisafmetingen.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm about half way done with mine. Junkyard seat was $39 from a Subaru 4WD Turbo. The rail mounts are not even and that's causing a little pain. I'm waiting for my Fanatec CSR wheel and pedals to arrive, then I can drill mounting holes, attach the wheel platform, paint the thing, and add flooring carpet. Anyone have a good resource for inexpensive racing stickers, so I can sticker mine up?

rig2v.jpg

rig1o.jpg

Huffster

Hi again. I have completed the final phase of my build, although there may be some extra additions later. As previously planned, I've attached the wheel platform, painted the rig, drilled mounting holes for the CSR wheel and bolted it in place, and added flooring carpet that I had lying around and finished the carpet border with 90 degree stair molding. I popped the CSR elite pedals in place and I quickly tested the setup and everything works. At some point I'll add stickers or red pin stripes and build a mount for my H-Pattern shifter. Maybe even a monitor stand or three. Here are the pics as of now:

rig3.jpg

rig4i.jpg

rig5.jpg

rig6.jpg

Thanks to Shaun and friends for his design and build video for the inspiration. I've been wanting a driving sim cockpit for a long time and finally have one! I feel like a slow poke, cause it took me a couple weeks from start to finish, working here and there when I could. But it's in driving condition now. Yeah! Okay off to iRacing and Forza 4 now for more tests. :)

Hello to everyone!! This is my first post, so I just wanted to say hey and to say thanks to SRT for the video and plans for the Deathmobile. I'm really liking some of the other rigs that people have posted on here, they all look great. I will have to say that my woodworking skills are very poor but this build was pretty straight forward and the video helped a ton. My rig ended up costing me $61 bucks, so that's not bad at all. I ended up stretching mine out a little which threw the deck board measurements off a little, but nothing that can't be fixed. Just got done today so here are a couple of pics. (I put my rig on casters as well. Once you are sitting in it, it does not move. The wheels really make moving it around so much easier) Take care, and thanks again.

Jeff

photobucket-13952-1339926251419.jpg

photobucket-9163-1339926225892.jpg

I love the idea of building my own rig, but I'm leery about jumping in with these plans. My problem is that I'm 6'4", and I'm wondering if these would work for me, and if adding a couple inches to the long side boards would be modification enough. I noticed that Devin mentioned that he's 6'5", and he seemed to fit fine, but I'm just not sure. Has anyone else thought about this?

I love the idea of building my own rig, but I'm leery about jumping in with these plans. My problem is that I'm 6'4", and I'm wondering if these would work for me, and if adding a couple inches to the long side boards would be modification enough. I noticed that Devin mentioned that he's 6'5", and he seemed to fit fine, but I'm just not sure. Has anyone else thought about this?

Great thing about this build is that you can tailor it to you .. That setup worked for me perfect though. :-)