• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   05/17/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RS1 DIY Sim Rig

44 posts in this topic

This is a very nice wood cockpit. I love it!!!

Great job chewy3939!

I am looking to build something like that but in my case, I cannot afford to pay for the plans:(

Is there any free version of the RS1? Or is there any similar cockpit with plans that I can use for free?

I can barely afford to pay fr the wood.

I tired to look for free plans but I couldn't find any that were the quality of the RS1. MAybe do some more searching.

I thought I would post a summary of the rig build. So here it is. So it all started when I had a Gamestop gift card and I wanted to buy a wheel for TDU2(Not a SIm).Well as I looked and searched I realized I didn't want anything that Gamestop had. So I began looking and then I found ISR. I then realized I didn't want some cheap wheel. I wanted an all out simulation rig. So then I looked at Thrustmaster, G25, and G27 wheels. But none of them were compatable with Xbox 360, which is where I am starting racing. So then I stumbled across Fanatec Wheels. BINGO! So I decided to get the GT2. But then pedals... so I looked and the best option was the CSR Elite Pedals. So I ordered them they showed up and all I had was NFS and TDU2. So next came games. Obviously, I got Forza 4. Then slowly I got F1 2011 and Dirt 3.Forza still is my favorite. So I was playing those and then I was like, well where do I put the wheel and pedals so I figured since I had a Rigid Fliptop Woodworking Stand, I would use that. So I raced on that for about a month before I decided I NEEDED a rig. So I began searching. I found all sorts of comercial rigs but they were all too expensive. So then I searched for DIY Rigs. I found alot but I didn't love any. Too much time, too much money, or it didn't look good. Until I found the RS1 DIY Sim Rig. I Loved It so I bought plans and began working. I thought it would be a 2 or 3 weekend project. However, It took about 5 months. I encountered problems with my seat, wheel, and pedals, But I Customized the Rig to fit the obstacles. You can see my chronicled work in these fourms above. So now I have plans to customize the rig, carbon fiber perhaps. I also want to move to computer racing, I Racing, but it is a big leap. Considering I would have to buy an I Racing membership and a gaming computer, unless a '11 Macbook Pro would run it, It would be PRICY. And if it did, I would have to buy Windows for it. If I do make the leap, I hope to get a Derek Spears button box, and a nice sequential and H shifter along with a tachometer and wheel mounted display. This is the kind of thing I LOVE to do so although it was expensive, It was worth it.

I thought I'd post a review of this rig for all who are thinking about building one. So here it is.

Pros

*Sturdy. Doesn't wiggle whatsoever. Rock solid.

*Stylish. The design of the rig means it looks great in any room. It draws the eye and is gorgeous

*Cheap. The rig all in all cost me $125. I got the seat for free though.

*Durable. The rig has no weak points to wear down on which means it will last for a long time.

*Customizable. The rig can be build to be exactly how you like it. No compromises.

*All Around Good Rig. I haven't raced on other rigs, but I don't see how it could be much better.

Cons

* Not Adjustable. Once built the rig cannot be adjusted. However, It can be built how you like it.

*Time Consuming. Since you have to build the rig it takes up time to be done right. You could cut corners but the finished product wouldn't be as quality.

*MDF Is a Pain. Working with MDF to build the rig is a hassle and it dents easily. But paint makes it harder.

*Only Compatible with G25 and G27. If you use any other wheels, you must make additions like I did to accommodate.

*You have to be a handyman/woodworker.

* You must figure out a seat mounting system

Overall, I would say it is a great rig. Very solid. Customizable. Expandable. Really a fantastic rig over all. I love to race with it. Although its time consuming, its a labor of love and you can say you build your rig. And best part is, in the words of Shaun Cole, A DIY Rig is never finished.

You have to move on to the PC if you are a Sim fan. Beside Forza 4 there really is no other real simulator out there for Xbox. Could take into account Dirt games but Even these (Dirt and Forza) are not 100 % Simulators. Not to mention that F1 2011 is way too far from a realistic feeling.

On the PC, beside I Racing, you have, alot of other great simulators. My favorite, NetKar Pro, is th emost realistig of them all. The force feedback is allowing you to feel the car like no other sim and it's a cheap.

I've realized that. Im pretty serious about sim racing so I want to move to PC but it's so much money. Yeah Forza 4 is the only one that feels real to me.

Just try NK Pro at a friend with a PC. They have a free Demo version with only one car and one track so you may form an indeea.

And also, you do not need a rocket PC to run it.

P.S. I'm stuck, can I borrow your plans for this rig please?

Hey all you guys out there with RS1 DIY Rigs, I'd love to see them. If any of you have made a RS1 post some photos on this fourm.

Chewy, your rigs look really good. Nice job on the mods to fit the fanatec gear. If you want sime stickers to dress up the rigs, send me an email.

The dimensions you are looking for are listed on the website for the plans. Click on the link in my signature to get there.

I can understand not being able to purchase the plans, but those users that have purchased the plans have agreed to the terms of use which states it is for personal use only and not to be distributed to others. Asking them to violate the agreement is not the right thing to do.

There are several other plans available for free on the web and you can always build one of those or modify them as you please. Or you can always come up with your own design. Thats how the RS1 DIY began.

Frank

I want to build this rig but I need to know if I can cram the cst pedals in there? I will build it if they fit. Hopefully Shaun and Darin will talk about other pedal options when they build theirs and if they would fit with minimal alterations.

I want to build this rig but I need to know if I can cram the cst pedals in there? I will build it if they fit. Hopefully Shaun and Darin will talk about other pedal options when they build theirs and if they would fit with minimal alterations.

My CSR Elite pedas fit in with room to spare.

What's the big deal in cuting 4 or 5 pieces a little bit wider to fit whatever you want in it?

Anyway, the cst pedals fits the rig.

I manage to create an AutoCAD 2d plan for a rig. It's inspired from the RS1 DIY Rig too but the measurements are not nearly the same. If someone is interested, I will create a new Thread posting there all the details after I'm finishing the rig.

What's the big deal in cuting 4 or 5 pieces a little bit wider to fit whatever you want in it?

Anyway, the cst pedals fits the rig.

I manage to create an AutoCAD 2d plan for a rig. It's inspired from the RS1 DIY Rig too but the measurements are not nearly the same. If someone is interested, I will create a new Thread posting there all the details after I'm finishing the rig.

It snowballs. One piece too big means the other one has to be bigger and then this one and then this one too ect. Also, it is more expensive. For example, the wings are as big as they can be for them both to fit on a piece of MDF. But really it can be done it just takes time and money. As everything else does.

It snowballs. One piece too big means the other one has to be bigger and then this one and then this one too ect. Also, it is more expensive. For example, the wings are as big as they can be for them both to fit on a piece of MDF. But really it can be done it just takes time and money. As everything else does.

I was assuming that everybody has a minimum skill in carpenting. Gues I was wrong.

Almost finished my Rig. Inverted pedals, shifter stand etc. The only thing I have to do tomorrow is buying some screws for the chair and that's all.

And no, I am not a carpenter, I am a student from Automotive Engineering, but I cand hold a saw in may hand...ro a drill.