• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   05/17/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RS1 DIY Sim Rig

44 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I just got into sim racing and I'm really enjoying it. I'm currently using a GT2 with CSR Elite pedals and Porsche Shifters. I play on a 96" full HD 1080p projector. I mainly play Forza 4, F1 2011, and Dirt 3. I have my wheel on a Rigid top flip stand :/. So anyway, I've decided to build myself a rig. I don't want to buy a super expensive rig or even a semi-expensive rig. I want to keep my build costs under $75. So, after doing a lot of searching I've decided on the RS1 Sim Rig. I already have a seat from an old Honda so after tallying up the costs it came to $63. Pretty good, eh? (No I'm not Canadian) I was just wondering if you all had any feedback on the rig. Any other options on the cheap? Any plans for rigs similar to this? Have any of you built one of these or used one of them?

Thanks guys,

Chewy3939

**SEE LATER POSTS FOR PICTURES

AND CHRONICLED BUILDING OF THE RIG**

I have a MDF built rig and it's rock solid. My rig has zero movement, wiggle or flex of any kind. The rig you are going to build, if done right, will be the same. If you have the tools and minimal wood working skills, you should be able to knock this out in a couple to a few days. Depending on how meticulous you are with the finishing touches.

Get to work on it and post pics as soon as you can.

I look forward to seeing it.

Alright guys I started building the rig, it looks sweet. Ill post some pictures when its done. Anyone have any design ideas?

So I pretty much finished the rig today I just have a few finishing touches. WOW is MDF a PAIN! I hate MDF, but whatever. It looks pretty cool!!!

So I pretty much finished the rig today I just have a few finishing touches. WOW is MDF a PAIN! I hate MDF, but whatever. It looks pretty cool!!!

What is so bad about working with MDF and where are some pixs?

yes, I love MDF, but it does have it's challenges. I built lot's of rigs out of 8020 and MDF--both have their strengths and weaknesses.

MDF is heavy, creates ALOT of dust, the holes tear when you drill them, and std wood screws split the MDF when drilling into the ends. If you paint it, you have to prime if you use lighter and/or glossy paint....and you have to put wood filler/putty on the ends because they will soak up the paint.

BUT, given the alternatives, it's pretty good stuff. If you screw it up, it's cheap to buy more.

8020 is absolutely the coolest stuff in the world......but very expensive.....even when you know the exact parts list.

I'm working on designing a reasonably nice MDF rig, somewhat adjustable, pretty stable, for around $65 (MDF/Paint/screws/bolts). I'll add a racing seat w/sliders ($70 + $30 shipping) and end up with a good set-up for 65+70+30=$165, which is good value.

The trick is to design it so that there is no woodwork involved, ie, no jig saw, circular saw, etc. Home Depot cuts the wood for you, drill holes, put it together, paint it, go racing.

Yeah there was dust EVERYWHERE. I had MDF in my hair, shirt, pockets, shoes and it covered my cellphone that was INSIDE my pocket. It was also on EVERYTHING in the shop. What seat did you get/find/buy for $70? Thats a good deal. Ill post some pics

Yeah there was dust EVERYWHERE. I had MDF in my hair, shirt, pockets, shoes and it covered my cellphone that was INSIDE my pocket. It was also on EVERYTHING in the shop. What seat did you get/find/buy for $70? Thats a good deal. Ill post some pics

hey Chewy, here is the link to the seat. My bad--the shipping is $60. I guess that is where they make their money. Still a reasonable deal if the seat is decent at all but I haven't ordered it yet so I can't tell you about the quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-BLACK-1PC-R ... 8183389365

I've been really busy lately so I haven't made much progress. I have everything cut out routed and assembled except for the wheel deck. Im still having trouble with it. Im considering getting a different seat so Ill keep you posted on my progress.

Do you guys use anything to smooth off the edges of the MDF panels? Like a plastic 'skirting'? That's the onlything keeping my rig from perfection, the rough look.

Do you guys use anything to smooth off the edges of the MDF panels? Like a plastic 'skirting'? That's the onlything keeping my rig from perfection, the rough look.

It's called edge banding. It was used on my RS1. Here are some pix of how it turned out for me: viewtopic.php?f=110&t=6848

You can also use T-molding. tmolding.com is a good source for it. You need a router and a special bit to cut a slot into the edge of the boards first. Then a fin on the back of the t-molding slides in to hold in place.

Another method is to round over the edges with a sander. The edges of MDF are fairly clean since the fibers are dense and tight. If you used particle board then the edges need to be covered up.

I smoothed out my edges by routing all of them. I love the apperence it gives the rig. I have everything cut out now and I figured out my dilema with using Fanatec products. I just made a slanted pedal platform and a slanted wheel platform. Also I should have said this earlier, Im building two rigs with different seats and what not. One for me and one for my buddy. Thats why its taking so long. Sorry

Just finished painting the rig. It looks awesome. I painted the rig black. Im still working on design ideas. I may cover the sides in logos or maybe racing stripes. But Im not sure. Im assembling the rig(s) tommorow. I will post pictures when its done.

Chewy, did you use some kind of wood filler or primer paint to the mdf? They look so smooth there, great work, can't wait to see how its done after painted

I have been using my RS1 for about a month now. There are some modifications I made that I thought worked out well. included in the pictures you can see I moved the top platform more forward then what the plan called for. I found out the hard way, you are loosing so much valuable space by using the locations in the template. Also I found steering wheel was low and my knees would touch the mounting deck for the wheel. I had to remove the small 2X4's my seat was mounted to and cut a hole into the rig deck to lower the seat about 2 inches. This rig is very solid but if i had to do it over I would build it out of wood and not MDF. I think I would be able to get a cleaner look with wood. I put the rig on casters so it can be moved around and is very helpful in my space. I drilled a hole under the wheel and ran the wiring under the rig and out the front. I do like the hard mounted petals on it. Very Solid rig though. I still have some detail work to do. I don't think i will build the console because i might purchase the Derek Spear sequential shifter and button box. If you move the top shelf forward I found it gave me more room to mount things like soon a tach and the button box. good luck with the build and post some finished pics when done. http://RicmotechRS1.shutterfly.com/

Chewy, did you use some kind of wood filler or primer paint to the mdf? They look so smooth there, great work, can't wait to see how its done after painted

Yes. I used a latex primer for the mdf.

Just finished the rig. I have to say the rig is just amazing. The whole thing is rock solid and it looks stunning. I was unsure of the rig at first but now, I love it.The racing position is very comfortable. I had to make some modifications for the whole thing to work. First, I created an angled wheel platform to place on top of the wheel deck out of a 2x6.(See Photos) Second, I created an angled pedal deck(See Photos). I also had to decrease the slant of the wheel deck because I was hitting my knees. I love any feed back from you all. I hope to move from console racing to PC racing soon but its $$$$$$. Once I make the jump I hope to get a button box, tachometer, and the CSR Elite Shifter. Here are photos of the "finished" product. -http://www.flickr.com/photos/79676738@N03/sets/72157629970996130/

This is a very nice wood cockpit. I love it!!!

Great job chewy3939!

I am looking to build something like that but in my case, I cannot afford to pay for the plans:(

Is there any free version of the RS1? Or is there any similar cockpit with plans that I can use for free?

I can barely afford to pay fr the wood.