• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

Next Level V3 Motion platform connected to an 8020 cockpit? Anyone?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, Zonic2001 is back.  Being gone for almost 3 years now.  Like to update my OLD Sim rig to a V3 motion platform connected to an 8020 rig.  Right now, I don't have the V3 or the 8020 rig.  I'm just searching the possibilities out there.  Has anyone in here done that?  Merge both of these equipments?  Can you share how you did it?  Please let us all know!  I'm trying to figure out how easy/difficult it is to put both together.  I know, I know, that the 8020 rig is very flexible but will like to have some idea before I tackle this endeavor.  :-D

It's very simple you'll have many ways to mount the NLV3 to 80/20. I'm using regular 80/20 connecting parts. The platform has bolt holes in the sides where the side panels that come with the unit would normally be attached. Instead I've mounted to 40/20. And that's fixed to the rig below using more of those right angle connecting brackets you see in the picture. I don't really need to add any further details as this picture is very clear.

You need a gap above the floor as there's cooling fans underneath.

IMG_20180106_130220.thumb.jpg.0e5692cec0acf6a755a2c617d7103f6d.jpg

1 minute ago, Zonic2001 said:

Krassi... I'll be replacing my RSeat Evo with an 8020 rig.  So I don't have it yet.

Hey, the good old Evos;) I still keep mine!:) When you have the 80/20 - show us a pic;)

19 hours ago, Jeremy.Ford said:

It's very simple you'll have many ways to mount the NLV3 to 80/20. I'm using regular 80/20 connecting parts. The platform has bolt holes in the sides where the side panels that come with the unit would normally be attached. Instead I've mounted to 40/20. And that's fixed to the rig below using more of those right angle connecting brackets you see in the picture. I don't really need to add any further details as this picture is very clear.

You need a gap above the floor as there's cooling fans underneath.

IMG_20180106_130220.thumb.jpg.0e5692cec0acf6a755a2c617d7103f6d.jpg

Jeremy... Nice rig.  Wow, that shows me enough.  Looks very easy.  Sorry but I'm very visual and needed to see one with a V3 connected to it.  How wide is your 8020 rig?  Some 8020 kits are very narrow so I need to be sure I have enough width to connect it just like yours.  I see that your rig rest on rubber feet, is not the rig resting on the floor.  That probably is giving you the clearance for the V3 fans.  Very good.  Also, are the cross members underneath the V3, are those 2020 size?  Or are 4020's installed on the side?   Any movement/deflection of these members due to the V3 movement?

Do you love your setup?  Anything different that you would do?

Thank you for your reply.  It was very helpful.  

Edited by Zonic2001

No worries glad to help. Total width is 80cm. The motion platform with the 40/20 side brackets attached (width) is 54.5cm. There would still be enough clearance below for cooling without the rubber feet, those are more for vibration isolation. Cross members are 20/20 (60cm length), and the larger profile you can see is all 40/20. There's no flex in the 20/20 as all the weight bearing on the cross members is near their edges.

1 minute ago, Jeremy.Ford said:

One second, it's 80/40 and 40/40 profile parts. Sorry for the confusion, brain fart moment. :? All other details are correct.

What are the prices in UK for 80/20- ish profiles?

16 minutes ago, Jeremy.Ford said:

Profile is pretty cheap, it's the connecting parts that add up the costs in the build. But overall it's still going to be cheaper than a decent off-the-shelf rig, and twice as sturdy.

http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/acatalog/8mm_Slot_ITM_Profile.html

Yes, pretty affordable price - for your UK standart is even very cheap....and you can create everything!;)

On 6/24/2018 at 9:31 PM, Jeremy.Ford said:

One second, it's 80/40 and 40/40 profile parts. Sorry for the confusion, brain fart moment. :? All other details are correct.

Did the V3 raise the seat height?  Did you have to move your pedals too?  

Some of today's precut and ready available 8020 rigs are very narrow and might not have the 54.5 cm clearance to install the motion platform within the longitudinal members to reduce the seat height problem.  Otherwise, the seat will be too high.

Don't know if I should tackle to design and build my own 8020 rig.  *scratching my head*  Any thoughts???????

Edited by Zonic2001

You can just ask them for specific width cut for you. Which isn't a problem since they're cutting the profile themselves. I think you'll find them very accommodating to requests as it's common for that sort of thing.

Another option is to use have a narrower rig and you'll attach the NLV3 to the edge of the rig like this. I nabbed this from a different forum. Maybe some useful ideas for you? My mounting method is one of a few possibilities and ideal for my situation but there is other options.

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/simlabs-gt1-build-log-includes-nlv3-motion-platform-mounting.150227/

20180502_091524.jpg

Edited by Jeremy.Ford

12 hours ago, Jeremy.Ford said:

You can just ask them for specific width cut for you. Which isn't a problem since they're cutting the profile themselves. I think you'll find them very accommodating to requests as it's common for that sort of thing.

Another option is to use have a narrower rig and you'll attach the NLV3 to the edge of the rig like this. I nabbed this from a different forum. Maybe some useful ideas for you? My mounting method is one of a few possibilities and ideal for my situation but there is other options.

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/simlabs-gt1-build-log-includes-nlv3-motion-platform-mounting.150227/

20180502_091524.jpg

Wow, that other rig arrangement, the seat sits pretty high.  I want to avoid that.  Jeremy... May I ask how much is the difference of a precut rig, like the Sim-Lab to your custom made one?  Will I be saving half the price of the Sim-Lab rig?  Or just a third?  Where you obtain the plans from yours?  If you rather send me a private message, do that please.  

Mine is a sim-lab GT from a 2.5 years back that I modified with the addition of the NLV3 and a few other bits. Otherwise the basic frame is what I bought from Sim-Lab. The newest GT1 is a bit narrower I believe, plus the wheel mount is more sophisticated than what they had back then. I also only paid 599 Euro. I would say mine is more comparable to a DIY build due to the old wheel deck which was a basic drilled aluminium plate. In fact I didn't use it and am using the same method as the Google Sketchup rig I found at the link below:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u2f7e394c-3dab-450e-b183-7e185a490326. There's never a big difference in dimensions for the basic design so self-building is very doable with confidence. This looks like a descent start if you want to go down the self-build route. If you Google for DIY 8020 sim rigs you'll find stuff lurking around.

Building your own will save you quite a bit. The cheapest supplier in Europe is https://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/. This website is particularity good for the connecting parts which can be quite pricey when you add up all those that you'll need. If you do self-build I'd recommend you visually study a few online pictures of aluminium profile cockpits to count how many connecting parts you'll need as that's the bit easy to miss calculate if you've never constructed with profile before.

80/20 is so versatile and it's easy to cut if you have access to a power miter saw. I purchase longer stock and use a saw blade for aluminum and get super clean cuts. That way, I can customize things to fit just the way I want and making changes down the line is much easier too. I have changed my rig several times over the last couple of years.

P1030082s.jpg