• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

Which wheel is best
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I am looking to get started in sim racing, primarily iRacing. I am not worried about wanting to sell my wheel because I know I will use it as I play many other racing games. I am just wondering Which wheel I should purchase. Should I buy a cheaper beginner wheel such as the T150 or should I save up and purchase something like a T300 or even a fanatec? Thanks.

If you have the funds... go for a Fanatec.  Especially if you don’t plan on selling your wheel or upgrading. If you get a T150 you’re definitely going to want to upgrade. (Assuming you stay with the hobby and conintue to use the T150 months after you purchase it) It all really depends on your budget. I started with a Logitech G27 a couple years ago and 2 years later I’ve went from a G27, G29, T300 and now a Fanatec Club Sport V2.5. Although I don’t regret any purchase as I got to experience each brand.. i am in no way shape or form, wealthy and I could have saved a whole lot of money if I’d just went with the Fanatec from the start. 

Edited by SLiMtendo

Any of the "cheaper" wheels with force feedback will get you by without a huge investment. Logitech is dependable (usually), and a value if you can get them on sale. The Thrustmaster wheels in this category are also a good value for the price. You might go this route if you're not sure you'll stick with sim-racing over time.

If you know you're serious, the Thrustmaster T300RX and TX are very solid wheels that should last you a while. If you go with either, get a bundle with the better pedals. The Thrustmaster shifter is also pretty good. You may also be able to buy just the wheel base, and opt for Fanatec pedals.

If you have a bigger budget, go with a Fanatec Clubsport v2.5. Of course, by the time you get a rim and pedals, the total cost adds up fast. Go with the nicer pedals and rim, and you're over $1k.

For those that are super serious with a BIG budget, they usually buy a direct drive wheel... and there's a lot of opinions about which is better.

I currently own a Thrustmaster T300rs and TX with five different rims, Fanatec Clubsport v2 & v3 pedals, their Shifter SQ v1.5, and handbrake. I also have a couple of Thrustmaster TH8A shifters.

16 hours ago, Junkie said:

What platform do you play on. That will help determine which wheel you get. Fanatec is a good choice. I have the CSL Elite for PS4 and the PC. 

I will obviously be playing iRacing on PC but my other console is PS4. If i were to get a fanatic i’d have to get the one designed for PS4. If that changes any suggestions please let me know. I’m not %100 sure which brands are compatible with each system.

Unless you have the money, I would recommend either Thrustmaster or Logitech over Fanatec (but don't get me wrong, its a much better product but much more expensive). Their price point is much more affordable, especially on a summer high school job budget. A few hundred versus potentially spending thousands for Fanatec or direct-drive setups. Not to mention you'll need money to maintain your iRacing subscription and to get into other simulators if you choose. Once you have the wheel setup, more things open up like how will you mount it, will you get a seat, wheel stand or otherwise? Those will add up. Mounting the wheel to your computer desk and putting the pedals on the floor kinda sucks and I highly recommend an alternative solution to really enhance your experience.