• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

T500RS goes off centre
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Just got myself a second hand T500RS and half way through a race it will go off centre, Starts off straight after calibration. Can reboot the computer and comes good again or re-install firmware and it comes good again for part of a race. Sometimes it is right away but sometimes can be 30mins later. Will be half way around a corner and will just turn a extra 45degree and send me off track.

Upgraded from a T300.

What could be causing this?

Cheers 

Is it with any game or just one?
What are you doing at the time it happens?

Just so I can picture this correctly. You're driving along and suddenly for apparent reason the wheel just turns 45degrees in a direction. Left? Right? Both but random?

Posted (edited)

I only Play Iracing, So can't test this on another game but the T300 wheel was fine when I was using it. Now have T500 it randomly turns roughly 45 degrees 

it turns right 45degrees and that becomes the new centre. So steering is 45 degrees off from then. yer randomly can be turning a right hand corner or a left hand corner. hasn't happened going straight yet

Edited by Jonesy

Only thing I have done is replaced the screws on the shaft 4 x m3 about 16mm long, as the wheel was a bit loose. Havnt touched anything else.

9 hours ago, BattleGear said:

thats not nice to hear. you can try it with setting an new zero point.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00158.pdf

good luck dude!

Thanks for the suggestion, but didn't work, looking in control panel after it goes off centre. If I turn steering wheel to the correct spot, control panel says its at 56.2 degrees not 50degrees.

Could it be a problem from having the T300 drivers installed beforehand now I have T500, Didn't uninstall anything just downloaded T500 stuff and re-installed.

The drivers are the same between the T500 and T300.

And you said you reinstalled the firmware, correct? Keep in mind that firmware is different from drivers. (I only say that to make sure we're both on the same page)

Try this to force a recalibration ftp://ftp.thrustmaster.com/accessories/pc/Utilities/TM_CALIB_103.exe
Be sure to check the box that says to Include pedals. Just turn the wheel all the way in each direction, then press the pedals a few times. Follow the instructions on the panel.

21 minutes ago, Wolf68k said:

The drivers are the same between the T500 and T300.

And you said you reinstalled the firmware, correct? Keep in mind that firmware is different from drivers. (I only say that to make sure we're both on the same page)

Try this to force a recalibration ftp://ftp.thrustmaster.com/accessories/pc/Utilities/TM_CALIB_103.exe
Be sure to check the box that says to Include pedals. Just turn the wheel all the way in each direction, then press the pedals a few times. Follow the instructions on the panel.

oh ok didn't know the drivers was the same.

yer if re-do firmware update it comes good again.

Nope no good, shows it off centre there to start with fix it, have to re-adjust in game aswell. Worked good for maybe 4-5mins then out.

Just then I heard a clunk like a big forcefeedback and it went out. 

Just checked control panel and it has gone to the left 43.6% now instead of going right. could it be a belt jumping cogs?

I was thinking about the belt as well. So let's try something to see.

Without starting up any game. Plug in the wheel and let it do it's normal auto calibration. Then in the control panel set the centering to 100%, this should force the wheel to be what it thinks is center.
As an experiment when I do it on my T300 with the default centering set to 12% then go back at first tab looking rotation, I can get it to rest at around 44-45% left and about 55% right. With centering at 100% it's about .6% left and right. So that's just kind of a benchmark you should be looking for.

It may be that someone opened it up to do some repairs and didn't align it correctly or that the cogs and/or belt are worn and just won't hold the belt in place. Hopefully it is just a repair issue, so for the most part an easy-ish fix. I say easy-ish because I've seen videos of people taking the T500 apart for other reasons and it's a nightmare of screws and what order the case comes apart in. So if you go this route, photo (and video if can) document everything. Other wise I don't know what to tell you.

Cheers mate will try that in a couple of days once home from work. 

Otherwise will look for videos and pull it apart again to check it all over. Took it apart last night but not fully just enough to see the belts. Main one from steering shaft is tight. Other one turns very slowly. U can move back and forth on the gears. Not sure how tight they need to be. Will see what YouTube shows. 

Worked out it can be a different amount it resets each time. Also I spun out on a corner and hit a wall. All was good. Reset back to pits and as it reloaded it went off centre. 

Thinking of trying a different USB port as well. Might seem stupid but maybe something up with the port I'm using. 

Cheers