• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

MMos & Soft Lock
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Just got my new SimuCUBE based OSW installed and working 2 days ago.  Really happy with my purchase, the feel is amazing.  But I'm left with a few questions.  First game I tried was AMS... but I noticed that Soft Lock wouldn't activate.  This was of course extremely noticeable when I tried to switch to the Go Karts.

Does Soft Lock work with OSW and MMos Force Feedback?  Does it only work in select games?  And if so, does any one know which games it works with, and which it doesn't?

Thanks.

On 2017-5-19 at 4:37 PM, DjFIL said:

Just got my new SimuCUBE based OSW installed and working 2 days ago.  Really happy with my purchase, the feel is amazing.  But I'm left with a few questions.  First game I tried was AMS... but I noticed that Soft Lock wouldn't activate.  This was of course extremely noticeable when I tried to switch to the Go Karts.

Does Soft Lock work with OSW and MMos Force Feedback?  Does it only work in select games?  And if so, does any one know which games it works with, and which it doesn't?

Thanks.

So... How is that going ?

While I'm likely not done tweaking settings, I've been able to get the primary 3 (offline) sims to a place where I'm very happy.  Unfortunately Soft Lock only works in Assetto Corsa (with minor ini edit)... for AMS & rF2 I'm having to alt-tab out and adjust per car.  Here's my notes of the changes I've made.

[MMOS Global]

Steering Stop = Gain 20x, Max 100%
Force Settings = Overall Filter 10 / Min Force 0% / Max Force 100%
Effect Filters = Off / Off / Off
Desktop Effect = Off
User Effect = Damper used in rFactor 2 (see below), otherwise left Off

[rFactor 2]
Changes in a default Controller.JSON:

"Steering effects strength":-10000,
    "Steering effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)",
    "Steering torque capability":19,
    "Steering torque capability#":"The maximum torque capability of the wheel (in Nm, obviously)",

In-Game:

Steering Rate 100%
Speed Sensitivty 0%
Car-Specific FFB ~0.75
FFB Smoothing 12  [helped remove harsh vibrations when on rumble strips]
FFB Minimum Torque 0.0%

Changes in MMOS:

Steering Angle = adjust per car
User Effect = Damper 15% / 100% Saturation [wheel was too light due to other settings, this helped restore satisfactory wheel weight]

[Assetto Corsa]

Changes in a default Assetto_Corsa.INI:

[SOFT_LOCK]
ENABLED=1

In-Game:

Gain 35%
Filter 0%
Minimum Force 0%
Kerb Effects 0%
Road Effects 0%
Slip Effects 0%

Steering Rotation 1180 degrees [maximum in-game, soft lock works but 'very abrupt']

Changes in MMOS:

Steering Angle = 1180 degrees
User Effect = None

[Automobilsta]

Feedback Effects = Pure 180hz
FFB Strength = 45%
Low Force Boost = 0%

Changes in MMOS:

Steering Angle = adjust per car
User Effect = None

I otherwise have left Granity to the default settings as provided by Ollie from sim-pli.city where I bought my "SW20" SimuCUBE OSW package.  I don't have iRacing subscription active at this time, but expect to restore my account late this year, or early 2018.  I plan to configure Kart Racing Pro next... and that that might be it until I have money to order my button plate (and paddle shifter) from the OSR guys (targeted for late this year)... as DiRT Rally or F1 2016 or ETS2/ATS really require me to have those extra buttons and/or paddle shifters to be fully satisfied.

Soft Lock works in Assetto Corsa, when enabled in the INI.  But Assetto Corsa gives a bit of a "kick" or "bounce" when you hit the soft lock as provided by the game, but it's not really an issue.  Soft Lock doesn't work in AMS or rF2... for these games I need to manually set the wheel rotation per car in MMOS (the force feedback desktop software for the wheel).  As mentioned, I do not have an active iRacing subscription so I'm currently unsure about Soft Lock with OSW in this sim.

To further note... I've been advised against using damper as user setting (slows the wheel movement, maybe tougher to counter-steer) and rF2's FFB Filter as it may introduce input lag.  But my first impressions is that these settings helped, but something I'll be reviewing as I continue to play the games and with settings.

Edited by DjFIL

Correct.  But rFactor supposedly has an issue with soft lock, and it's kinda half-baked in to the game.  See the following response from the MMos development thread... 

https://forum.virtualracing.org/showthread.php/92420-DIY-USB-Force-Feedback-Controller?p=2259980&viewfull=1#post2259980

This isn't MMos' fault though. It's a limitation with the rF1 engine. I had contact to an rF dev a while back because of the soft lock implementaion and they actually send proprietary commands to the TM, Logitech and Fanacltec wheels, specifically tailored for those wheels.

Their 'idea' was that we fake a Logitech wheel to receive those proprietary commands - which understandably is bs and won't happen. The only way to 'fix' this would be for someone to write a rF plugin that reads that value and sends it to a middleware (for example a tray tool) that overrides the value in the MMos tool or Granity (Argon OSW FW).

Not sure the exact excuse for rF2, but I can't get it to work there either and have to manually set rotation per car.