• Announcements

    • Darin Gangi

      ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

      Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

Osw Fanatec Wheel Conversion Help
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

 

I recently finished my osw build and I'm having some issues. I have a large mige and simucube setup. I used a fanatec adapter form sim racing bay and i wired a fanatec plug to the adaptor with the teensey board house within a wheel spacer. So i did not modify the actual rim (BMW) in any way. i have an 80/20 rig and all of my hardware is attached directly to the aluminum with t-nuts.

So my issue are:

-upon startup, if the fanatec cable is plugged in, my computer stays stuck on the bootup screen

-while driving i get graphic stutters when I'm hitting the rev limiter, when i shift and when i press the clutch(fanatec v3). I realize that all of these things usually happen at the same time but i have tested each independent of the other. For example i will just drive at redline without shifting or pressing the clutch and it glitches. or ill be driving and just push the clutch in and out without shifting and the same thing happens etc...

I'm figuring its some kind of emi but i don't know what else to try:

Ive tried:

-separating all the data and power cables

-grounding the osw to my computer case and rig

- i soldered an additional ground to the teensey and tried it attached to the quick release adapter and then the output shaft of the osw

-I tried grounding the osw to an external ground (steel radiator)

 

I think is has something to do with rim side of things because the computer wont start with it plugged in. Ive tried to run the game and hit the e-stop to kill the power to the mige but the graphics glitch still happens. 

 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

 

 

 

Edited by GRM88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I have the same freeze on startup issue with my stock Fanatec CSR.  If it's powered on before I turn on my computer, the OS never begins booting.  So that problem, at least, may have nothing to do with your build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have same OSW with Fanatec rim/USB kit.  I also believe faulty teensy board. Did your USB adapter kit need sottering or was it plug in connector?  If plug in connector make sure no pins are bent if you sottered make sure your sotter points are not touching or arcing the sotter points next to them. Finally make sure no wires are pinched or cut

 Good luck. 

Edited by soups

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wilson_c said:

FWIW, I have the same freeze on startup issue with my stock Fanatec CSR.  If it's powered on before I turn on my computer, the OS never begins booting.  So that problem, at least, may have nothing to do with your build.

That's interesting, I don't think i ever started my computer with the fanatic base on. Thanks for the info

1 hour ago, soups said:

I have same OSW with Fanatec rim/USB kit.  I also believe faulty teensy board. Did your USB adapter kit need sottering or was it plug in connector?  If plug in connector make sure no pins are bent if you sottered make sure your sotter points are not touching or arcing the sotter points next to them. Finally make sure no wires are pinched or cut

 Good luck. 

i just plugged it in and soldered a grounding wire onto the plug housing on the board. I have a heat shrink around it so i don't think its arcing on anything. I'll try soldering the wire directly on.

3 hours ago, Diablo2112 said:

Sounds like the teensy has issues.  Perhaps try another one or the Bodnar board.  My setup is almost the exact same as yours, but with the Bodnar board.  Works great, no issues.  

this is probably gonna be my next step after i try soldering the USB directly to the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to know how this played out for you as I am having what I believe are similar problems.

I am using a Fanatec adapter from SRM with my Porsche rim and it is full of gremlins.

Problems I'm having... Dirt Rally and rF2 in particular have terrible graphical stuttering/freezing only when the Porsche rim is plugged in. Unplug it, use another rim, problem solved.

The shifters, both sides, will randomly skip shifts in every race title I have (and I even tried to lesson this effect by changing the player files to the most extreme settings for double shift prevention, no dice).

When viewing the Porsche rim thru windows game controllers I can see that Windows is seeing the rim as a Fanatec Clubsport Wheel.(So, for instance, the joystick button is showing as pedals). That is contrary to my Fanatec F1 rim that I converted using the Bodnar board. It functions without issue.

If I can confirm this is indeed a Teensy issue I'm going to order another Bodnar board and convert it the same way I did the F1 rim.

Bailey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue is not completely resolved. I just unplugged then re plugged in the usb at the beginning of each session and the graphic issue would go away.  Recently one of the joysticks on the rim stopped working and since then everything has been working perfectly (except the joysticks). I no longer have to unplug it in the session. I defiantly think I have a defective board. I have a new one just haven't had the time to swap it out. 

Edited by GRM88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, we share even more similarities.

If I unplug and reconnect after starting a race in rf2 the stuttering stops. Dirt Rally however does not change.

I also had the issue where at times using the left paddle shifter would trigger the joystick as I had it mapped to look right/left. I unmapped that to resolve it.

Simon suggested that I try grounding the rim itself differently and after reading about another user having multiple gremlin issues due to grounding I am hoping that's the culprit. Plan on trying a bit of that today.

Please keep me posted on any progress you make.

Bailey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I believe I've exhausted all possible ideas I could come up with. EMI and grounding do not appear to be an issue.

:?:  For those of you who using a Fanatec Porsche (or even Fanatec BMW) rim that has been converted using a Teensy board ... is it listed as a rim in your controller properties or as a Fanatec Clubsport Wheel?
Mine is seen as a wheel and I can't help but wonder if that contributes to the issues as my Fanatec F1 rim does not have that issue, it's seen as a rim.

Bailey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a comment from Seth Cormier (copied from iRacing), maybe this can help you?

I also wanted to give a little update on my project. I noticed today that I was getting stuttering in Rfactor 2. I initially thought it was the Teensy but that wasn't the case. It was actually the Fanatec driver. I uninstalled the Fanatec driver and everyting is smooth again. I don't know if this would apply to other games as I had only used Rfactor 2 with the driver installed. Idk of this is already known but thought I would mention just in case anyone else has this issue.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2017 at 9:44 AM, lopsided said:

Well I believe I've exhausted all possible ideas I could come up with. EMI and grounding do not appear to be an issue.

:?:  For those of you who using a Fanatec Porsche (or even Fanatec BMW) rim that has been converted using a Teensy board ... is it listed as a rim in your controller properties or as a Fanatec Clubsport Wheel?
Mine is seen as a wheel and I can't help but wonder if that contributes to the issues as my Fanatec F1 rim does not have that issue, it's seen as a rim.

Bailey

Hey, was wondering if you resolved this issue?

 

I have a fanatec F1 rim with teensy board and am getting double shift issues.

 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shawn Jacobs said:

Hey, was wondering if you resolved this issue?

 

I have a fanatec F1 rim with teensy board and am getting double shift issues.

 

Cheers.

Shawn, that's actually a bit reassuring to me... hearing that you have the same issue as I have renewed hope that it is the Teensy board.

I ordered a Bodnar board to replace the Teensy, however, some health issues have kept me from it. I hope to get it done soon. One other thing I did discover using DIView software (a popular calibration software).. is that it isn't merely the shifter buttons only that double shifts/executes, it's all buttons, it's just that I wasn't repeatedly pressing any other buttons so I would have likely never noticed it. Using DI View you can see the time in milliseconds between button presses, using it I could see that regardless of what button I would push repeatedly, they would all eventually show a fantom press and 0ms between pushes... that 0ms corresponding with an immediate, secondary fantom press. 

I will report that outcome of my board swap when I'm able.

Bailey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lopsided said:

Shawn, that's actually a bit reassuring to me... hearing that you have the same issue as I have renewed hope that it is the Teensy board.

I ordered a Bodnar board to replace the Teensy, however, some health issues have kept me from it. I hope to get it done soon. One other thing I did discover using DIView software (a popular calibration software).. is that it isn't merely the shifter buttons only that double shifts/executes, it's all buttons, it's just that I wasn't repeatedly pressing any other buttons so I would have likely never noticed it. Using DI View you can see the time in milliseconds between button presses, using it I could see that regardless of what button I would push repeatedly, they would all eventually show a fantom press and 0ms between pushes... that 0ms corresponding with an immediate, secondary fantom press. 

I will report that outcome of my board swap when I'm able.

Bailey

Awesome that would be great!

 

For further reassurance I'm on a brand new F1 rim, so I'd like to think it's not the rim itself and yeah updating the player file on rf2 doesn't seem to do anything. At least it seems in ac increasing the doible shift prevention seemed to stop it.

 

I look forward to hearing your results.

 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity are you running fanaleds? I thought perhaps that may be impacting it. Did a Google search and just a couple of weeks ago someone reported running fanaleds for their v3 pedals was causing double shifting on their g27.

 

So I've uninstalled it, did some testing in rf2 with shift prevention off, no issues for a bit but eventually it double up shifted, set shift prevention to 4 and have been on for a few hours, not a single double shift.

Edited by Shawn Jacobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2018 at 9:58 AM, Lime Racing said:

Did you remove the Fanatec driver?

Me Personally I have v3 pedals so I don't really have a choice about having the fanatec drivers installed.

 

Haven't had any issues since removing fanaleds and setting rf2 shift prevention to 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

2 2