• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

Trying VR then switched back to Monitor's ?
2 2

17 posts in this topic

I'm building a 80/40 rig at the moment and unsure if to use triple's or jump straight into the deep end ..VR !

Not sure if to build a quad monitor setup or single.

I'll only be using 1080 - 6ms Acer screens

I've heard on more than one occasion guy's giving VR a go then reverting back to monitor's.

This is my first build.

What you guy's think ?

My experience is different I do most of my sim racing on the Rift and the Sims that don't support VR I use my trips. I much more enjoy the emerission of VR even thought the resolution is not up to my 1080p triple. The VR emerssion just removes the resolution issue .I. M. O. 

I've got a quad monitor setup and had the chance to try out the rift thoroughly enough to make up my mind about it.

It wouldn't be an easy decision to make if I didn't have any gear and had to choose between triple screen and VR.

Ignoring the financial aspect I'd go for monitors, no doubt, but taking money into account I would consider getting VR.

The lack of resolution on the rift spoils it for me...see what gen 2 is like...

I am thinking of going to triples from a Rift because of hardware issues and motion sickness.

I have to preface.. I'm new to sim racing and have my very first iRacing experience when using the Rift. I've never used a triple monitor set up. The closest thing I've gone to a racing game is Gran Turismo on my living room TV. I do have real world expericne with road courses and autocross.

Issue #1 - The Rift disconnects randomly from my PC when I touch the front/side of headset. The screen goes black and shuts off. It eventually recovers if I move it around a bit. However, iRacing does not reconnect automatically to the Rift after it comes back to life. If I am in a middle of a race, touch the headset for a small adjustment, it shuts off and I am unable to recover/continue with the race. I have to quit the race and start a new. I've opened a ticket with Oculus. Quick internet search tells me I'm not the only one having this disconnect issue.

Issue #2 - I get extreme motion sickness with VR (vomit reality). I was unable to get through one turn on my first day with the Rift. It's a slow build up to my VR legs -- I've been doing 3 sets of short stints and each day is getting better. I was able to do 5 laps at MRLS before my headset shut off.

I've had my rift for about 2 weeks now and I'm all in on VR. I gave up my triples and went down to just two monitors since I don't have a dedicated rig and work from my desk from time to time. Initially I wasn't as impressed, but with supersampling and tinkering with graphics settings to sharpen the image I would say that the immersion beats the superior resolution of monitors. Hopefully Nvidia will give some incentive to developers to integrate vrworks down the line because I would buy another 1080 tomorrow if SLI was implemented for more VR titles. For me the space saving aspect was also a benefit and I also feel like I have a better feel of what the car is doing in VR. Both the rift and vive are available from Amazon in the US and they have a great return policy. I say give it a try and worst case send it back if it's not for you. 

I recently went thru this dilema myself.  After many years of racing on a single 32 inch LCD, I finally switched to triple 1440p GSync monitors.  I enjoyed it for about a week and wondered how I had raced for so long with one screen.  Soon after this I decided to buy an Oculus Rift to see for myself if it was better than my new triple setup.  The moment I put on the headset and drove a few laps in Assetto Corsa I knew the triples were the wrong choice.  The sense of immersion was absolutely mindblowing.  It was shocking.  It's something you have to try yourself.  The only way to explain it is it's as if you climbed inside your monitor and into the car.  It's a awesome experience as long as your stomach can handle it. I'm fortunate that I don't have any problems with racing sims.  I tried a rollercoaster demo and that I definitely had a problem with.  Obviously I highly recommend VR, but you need to try it before making a decision. Good luck with your build.

Edited by MaXKiLLz

VR: Your in the car, graphics poorer.

MONITORS: In your room, playing a game, very pretty 4k graphics.

If you really like immersion, and love believing your racing, VR is well worth it.  Add a fan in your face too!

(I'm running gtx1080)

Issue #1 - The Rift disconnects randomly from my PC when I touch the front/side of headset. The screen goes black and shuts off. It eventually recovers if I move it around a bit. However, iRacing does not reconnect automatically to the Rift after it comes back to life. If I am in a middle of a race, touch the headset for a small adjustment, it shuts off and I am unable to recover/continue with the race. I have to quit the race and start a new. I've opened a ticket with Oculus. Quick internet search tells me I'm not the only one having this disconnect issue.

This sounds like the plug.  The wires can disconnect.

PICTURE OF PLUG

I have a triple monitor setup and after I purchased the rift I only race the titles that support VR. I also have a SimXperience motion rig and the combination of Rift and motion can't be beat IMO. I am so glad that R3E supports VR now. I still have my triple setup but I have designated one of my monitors to console game play and the two remaining as a dual monitor setup with Virtual Desktop when using my Rift. 

IMAG1704.jpg

On 2/9/2017 at 11:05 AM, SBDESIGN said:

This sounds like the plug.  The wires can disconnect.

PICTURE OF PLUG

Not entirely sure which hardware component failed or became unreliable, but it is not due to a loose cable. I am aware the cable can disconnect. I've sent my Rift back to Oculus and received a new one. All is well with the new headset.

Edit: An update to my previous post with regards to motion sickness, I'm happy to report that I no longer get any sickness. It took a good two weeks of building up and getting accustomed to VR. It was certainly a slow build up for my VR legs.

Edited by iLuveKetchup

I race on the vive in assetto corsa and love it. The tracking is incredible. Getting out of your seat and walking around your car is great. You can really appreciate the size and scale of the cars all the details they put into them. 

Hi all I'm new here as I am building a rig for iracing and wanted to share my thoughts about my experience with the HTC Vive and racing.

Although you can't touch the immersion of VR ( and boy is it immersive) probably drive better to and the screen door effect is there but hardly an issue when racing at all, I find that wearing a weight on you face for 2 hours can just give you a rear neck crap not to mention it gets warm. The fact that it's so immersive almost to the points  of tricking you into thinking your moving it's not super comfortable when you rig doesn't move. It's very hard to explain exactly what I mean but it doesn't really feel natural at all unless the sim moves with motion. I play a shooter game all the time as well called onward it's like modern warfare in vr and you are moving through a town but in reality your not moving at all, that game doesn't bother me in a motion sickness in any way at all but it does not feel natural. Plus the fact that (this may not matter to all of you) but no one can stop for a min and see you racing or watch the game with you and talk and have conversation, when you put that head set on you are completely gone from real life in a sense. 

If I was on a budget and could either pick vr or triples screens I would go VR all the way because immersion per dollar spent beats any triple monitor set up by far. 

On the other hand the big pros for having triples are that you can have your acssecory screen to see stats fuel ect ect you can see your 1000 dollar custome  steering wheels and best of all your head is free you feel very comfortable no brick on the face you can race 7   Hours strait without an issue and so on so on.

Im running 2 gtx 1080fe in sli and recently purchased 3xbenq 35" (because the price is now half of what it was and they are a perfect size they are 1080p 144hz which means the cards will rock them to death with no issues at all and best of all I can play for hours comfortably and enjoy the look of my peripherals I am going to be blessed to have both of these set ups and have a feeling I will use the triples more just because clarity comfort ability and be able to breath and not be suffocated by having something almost covering my whole face for hours on end. 

These are my feeling about it and VR is Truly amazing to see and experience and I will be racing with it but if you ever have a party or company it's much better to all be able to enjoy it together and see it instead of some dude just sitting there in silence with a headset on moving a steering wheel around (hope that makes sense ) just my 2 cents

Recommended VR game is Arizona sunshine by far my favorite out of the 40 games I have. 

Happy Racing!

Edited 3 minutes ago by SwampGremlin

I just stopped playing Project Cars 2 in my second day with the Oculus Rift. I find it odd that nobody talked about performance, but  man, it is something to be considered. 

I have been in time trials in LAguna Seca, and O managed to go 2.5  seconds faster in VR!  

To be honest, after the initial impression and the incredible feeling of being there inside the car, in the track, I felt underwhelmed by the low quality graphics. Not only that, but I did feel some motion sickness, and noticed it was in the curve right before the pit entrance in LAguna Seca. 

When I finished my hour long session I wasnt feeling too hot about VR racing. But then I launched PC2 again in the desktop and started time trials in Laguna Seca. I couldnt get even 2 seconds close to my best lap in VR. Not only that, I was consistently faster in VR, because I managed to put in several laps under 1:30, and I couldnt get close to that while playing in my TV. 

At this point, I am even showing as the 6th. best time overall in Laguna Seca! I was in a BMW M6 GT3. 

Besides the graphics, the feeling that you get in VR is simply unmatched. I cant stop thinking how great VR is going to be in 10 years, when 6k or even 12k resolution will be feasible for consumer PCs. 

But I am unimpressed with the graphics. To the point that at some point during the day I started thinking about returning the OC and putting that money into the rest of the sim racing. But then saw the difference in lap times and now I will keep racing in VR and decide what to to later.