• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

My DIY Wind Simulator
3 3

53 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I just thought I would share my latest DIY project.

It is a wind simulator that will vary the amount of wind based on the speed of the car.

***EDIT***

I am now selling complete wind simulators and kitsets here

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/23623-complete-wind-simulators-and-kitsets-for-sale/

They are available in a fully assembled unit

IMG_8641_zpsr0jydsuj.jpg

IMG_8630_zps4hzl7ydw.jpg

Partially assembled unit (Just add blowers)

Maxi%20no%20fans%201_zpsekfrwffq.jpg

Mini version (Just add blowers)

Mini%201_zps3klrn3zb.jpg

Assembled controller boxes

IMG_2816_zps2cxpc5g9.jpg

Or kitset

IMG_2791_zpsr7v4vhjw.jpg

***Edit 2***

This project is compatible with iRacing Fanboi V2 and it is the easiest way to control the blowers in iRacing

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3505953.page

iRacingFanBoi%20user%20interface_zpsicag

***Edit 3***

I have also finished my personal wind simulator

IMG_2829_zps8fcrtmb5.jpg

IMG_2835_zpsucwucwjk.jpg

IMG_2676_zpsj1c5deqn.jpg

***Original post***

It is built using an Arduino Uno with a Monster Moto shield. It runs off Sim Tools which also runs my DIY motion and it works with any game that outputs the speed telemetry, so it works with iRacing, Dirt Rally, PCars, Assetto Corsa, No limits roller coaster, AMS and tons of other sims.

The Arduino code was written by SilentChill over at the Xsimulator forums and you can find it here https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/simulated-wind-using-monstermoto-and-arduinouno.6876/

I started off with the base components. I am using a pair of  Seaflo 4" In-Line blowers. They are 270CFM each, they run on 12V and pull 6A each,

IMG_2214_zpsnsfpskve.jpg

For the controllers I am using an Arduino Uno and with a Monster Moto shield. I got them without the header pins attached because I will be used some more of them for an upgrade I have planed for my DIY motion simulator

IMG_2253_zpsqqidnup8.jpg

I brought a ton of them so I can also replace the JRK 12V12's in my motion sim with dual Monster Moto's

IMG_2254_zpsuvjpmpvm.jpg

It is really easy to prep the board, just solder the header pins on then wire in the power and fans. If you look on the left side you will see the + and - for the power supply, and on the right side you with see A1 and B1 for the first fan and A2 and B2 for the second fan. The A is positive and the B is negative.

IMG_2257_zpsh79xmi8g.jpg

The Monster Moto then just plugs in on top of the Arduino

IMG_2258_zps6swq5j8f.jpg

After wiring up the first fan I did a quick test to see if it was all working, I have just connected it up to a battery for now. Once I have finished my design I will wire it back to the batteries that power my DIY Simulator.

IMG_2263_zpsgmu231ud.jpg

Here is a video of it running with just the one fan in No Limits roller coaster. I have my multi-meter hooked up to the second fan controller so you can see the voltage vary. It uses PWM so it is actually the duty cycle that is changing but my Multi-meter shows it as the voltage changing. 

Next I made a prototype mount for it, just using some wood and a blank PCB I had laying around

IMG_2281_zpslomitn3c.jpg

The controllers all wired up, you can see the power from the battery at the front of the controller then the power to the fans going out the back of the board.

IMG_2283_zpseb9d291k.jpg

This is the back side of the set up. The fans blow towards the motor on the other side.

IMG_2285_zpskyyyg38l.jpg

Here is a quick video of both fans vs a toy car, it reminds me of that Mythbusters episode when they drove a car behind a jet plane

I then temporarily mounted the fans on top of my Accuforce.

IMG_2290_zps8vjpnycv.jpg

For now while I am testing I have just cable tied a battery up the front of my rig, it is a 9Ah battery so it should be able to run the fans for a couple hours between chargers.

IMG_2292_zpsot09oblb.jpg

It is just secured on with cable ties at the moment. eventually I will make up a mounting plate for them and just run some ducting up.

IMG_2294_zpsoq3rqcxq.jpg

IMG_2295_zpsee80wkxh.jpg

I will also make an enclosure for the controllers 

IMG_2298_zpssw6yjbir.jpg

Here is a wide angle shot of my rig with the fans installed.

IMG_2297_zpss1xapcgr.jpg

It adds a lot to the immersion and it also helps keep you cool. I use the Oculus Rift CV1 so it helps a lot with keeping me cool. It is great for open wheelers and roller coasters.

Edited by Avenga76

really awesome!!!

its sad that the monster moto dont can handle 230v / 120v for a standart room fan. i just thinked about a project like this with 2 small room fans. one over the pedals and the other over the right screen...

and now i wish you much fun for develop the gauges for all the games :-P or do you use x sim?

This is what I use. I just stick it between my knees and move my legs back and forth real fast... ;-)

1722342.jpg

Seriously, that's some impressive work!

Maybe to "finish" it off, you might wrap the fans with some sort of vinyl, maybe a faux carbon fiber?

10 hours ago, BattleGear said:

really awesome!!!

its sad that the monster moto dont can handle 230v / 120v for a standart room fan. i just thinked about a project like this with 2 small room fans. one over the pedals and the other over the right screen...

and now i wish you much fun for develop the gauges for all the games :-P or do you use x sim?

AC motors are very different to DC motors so I am not sure how well it would work. My setup uses Pulse Width Modulation and I am not sure if an AC fan would like that or not.

I use my Oculus Rift now so I don't have any gauges on my rig. I use Sim Tools but you can program up gauges using an Arduino on that.

3 minutes ago, ApexVGear said:

This is what I use. I just stick it between my knees and move my legs back and forth real fast... ;-)

1722342.jpg

Seriously, that's some impressive work!

Maybe to "finish" it off, you might wrap the fans with some sort of vinyl, maybe a faux carbon fiber?

Haha.

Yes, it will be finished in a carbon fibre wrap, much like I did with my Handbrake and flight stick. I will also be mounting the fans near the front of the rig and running ducting up to the top with a nozzle on it.

Here is a before and after of my Handbrake mount with the carbon fibre wrap

IMG_2087_zpssjna3rws.jpg

IMG_8595_zps99ymrhqs.jpg

Yes, you can use a 12V power supply, I was just using batteries because my motion simulator runs off batteries.

The blowers draw 6A each so just make sure you have at least 12A on your 12V power supply. A little 15-20A PSU off ebay works great.

There are a few others who I have been helping build this over on the iRacing forums and they are using power supplies.

Another great project idea, and affordable too.

I'd like to combine this with the idea (I think UNKLE) had to put in a realistic vent system for those of us that have a fully enclosed cockpit. Currently I just have a houshold fan pointing into the space between my monitors and dash.

Always an inspiration!!

Been waiting for this for ages, after seeing.someone do it for iracing a while ago.

I appreciate it needs simtools to run but can you run it with simtools while using SimXperience for motion? I'm only looking at racing really.

50 minutes ago, museumsteve said:

Been waiting for this for ages, after seeing.someone do it for iracing a while ago.

I appreciate it needs simtools to run but can you run it with simtools while using SimXperience for motion? I'm only looking at racing really.

Yes, you can run SimTools and SimCommander together.

I use SimCommander for my GS-4, Accuforce and Simvibe and I use SimTools for my DIY 3 DOF motion and wind. 

6 minutes ago, SteveS said:

Simply awesome!

Thanks Steve.

I was actually going to PM you in a couple of days. I just brought myself a 3D printer and I have a billionty questions. I want to try designing and printing some parts like vents for my fans but I haven't used CAD since my 486 DX33 (I remember I had to upgrade from my 486 SX16 because it didn't have a maths coprocessor so I couldn't run CAD) It should be a fun and challenging learning curve. 

On 22/08/2016 at 11:52 PM, Avenga76 said:

Yes, you can run SimTools and SimCommander together.

I use SimCommander for my GS-4, Accuforce and Simvibe and I use SimTools for my DIY 3 DOF motion and wind. 

Thanks for the prompt reply :) I'll order some bits tonight.

Created my first prototype for my airflow straightener/vent for the end of my ducting.

I printed this at one quarter height just to test the wall thickness and strength. The final version will be 100mm tall and 100mm diameter.

IMG_2440_zps1m51pw7f.jpg

IMG_2441_zpsyfnkyxte.jpg

I did some more work on my air straightener.

I added a mounting bracket for it.

hex%20style%203_zpsv9gonbrg.jpg

hex%20style%204_zpswwqbvjez.jpg

hex%20style%205_zpsncmymjtb.jpg

Printed out the first of my final full scale version. I am printing the second one as we speak. the photos don't do it justice because it is really hard to take photos of it because it is back.

IMG_2453_zpsp62egedw.jpg

IMG_2451_zpss81kels7.jpg

IMG_2449_zps0lcja9gu.jpg

IMG_2448_zpszvrn6gcj.jpg

3 minutes ago, Avenga76 said:

I did some more work on my air straightener.

I added a mounting bracket for it.

hex%20style%203_zpsv9gonbrg.jpg

hex%20style%204_zpswwqbvjez.jpg

hex%20style%205_zpsncmymjtb.jpg

Printed out the first of my final full scale version. I am printing the second one as we speak. the photos don't do it justice because it is really hard to take photos of it because it is back.

IMG_2453_zpsp62egedw.jpg

IMG_2451_zpss81kels7.jpg

IMG_2449_zps0lcja9gu.jpg

IMG_2448_zpszvrn6gcj.jpg

Avenga from Stormwind!:)

I have finished the first design of my controller box.

controller%20box%201_zpsu60leouv.jpg

controller%20box%202_zpsfxbwdwqi.jpg

My controller box finished printing and I am very happy with the results.

This is it with just the Arduino installed

IMG_2483_zps0ow7u8n7.jpg

And with the MM. I have made little cutouts for the wires. The top will screw on with M4 bolts, I printed the thread in to the model and they came out really nice.

IMG_2484_zpscbzx0btg.jpg

Here is the USB and power ports

IMG_2485_zpstcojunbg.jpg

I didn't use screws to hold down the Arduino because M3 is pretty fiddly so instead they are just press fit on to some little studs. The tolerances are so tight that it doesn't budge but I will also be making some little fingers that will come off the lid and press on top of the MM to keep it held down

IMG_2487_zpsia3b8t98.jpg

Also back on my controller than is in use, I have attached my heatsinks. I tested them with my infrared temperature gun and they get up to 40c with the heatsinks on them

IMG_2486_zps0wicl4hg.jpg

I have finished designing the the lid now.

Here is a shot of the box and lid together

controller%20box%203_zpsit5dou0l.jpg

And here is a shot of the underside with the reset button and the standoffs to hold the boards down.

controller%20box%204_zpskrnhmx0d.jpg

On the print bed all ready to print

controller%20box%205_zpskmqkifqj.jpg

I hope everything fits together okay. I am not sure how much tolerance I need to give all the parts on my printer. I have left everything with really tight tolerances so I may need to tweak it a bit if my printer isn't that accurate.

I finished printing the lid and reset button and it fits perfectly!!! I went for a tolerance of 0.1-0.2mm in most places except the reset switch which I went for 0.4mm tolerance so it would be easy to push.

The tolerance is so tight that it actually just snaps together with the little tabs for the wires coming out of the box. I tested all the screws and the thread is perfect and all the holes line up perfectly.

IMG_2491_zps0ijau87k.jpg

I went for a diagonal vent on the top which I think looks pretty awesome. You can see the reset button over to the left hand corner, I want to get some red plastic so I can do that in red, I think that would look cool.

IMG_2492_zpsg1jhs8vt.jpg

Here you can see how tight the cable holes are

IMG_2493_zpsnflvmlt4.jpg

And the cables on the other side

IMG_2494_zpsaknfvsny.jpg

Here is the under side of the lid and the reset button. All of the standoffs are perfect height so they hold the board in nicely.

IMG_2495_zps1ye8pvav.jpg

I am over the moon with how well it turned out. Not bad when you consider that I have only been 3D modelling for about a week :)

On 06/09/2016 at 0:33 PM, sebj said:

Sweet! Must be a joy to have a 3D printer.

It sure is. I love my 3D printer.

I also did some final tweaks to my controller box.

I added an extra support in the middle of the lid and I got some red PLA so I can do the button in red.

IMG_2497_zpsscwj5uff.jpg

IMG_2498_zpsjzdaac1i.jpg

If anyone wants me to print them one of these controller boxes then flick me a PM

I did a print at 0.2mm layer height and it came out really well. Looks just as good as the 0.1mm.

This means I can drop my price if anyone wants me to print one because it has dropped the printing time from 17 hours down to only 8.

Here are some photos. The one on the left is the 0.2mm and the one on the right is the 0.1mm

IMG_2503_zpscnhzo2vr.jpg

IMG_2502_zpsvmn11j8h.jpg

IMG_2501_zpsipr1jqaq.jpg

IMG_2500_zpscwvn91qr.jpg