• Announcements

• Darin Gangi

ISRTV Amazon Store   11/29/16

Hi All, We created an Amazon store that's pretty basic and currently only for U.S. shoppers. If you purchase something from it and then other items through Amazon, we make a small commission. It won't cost anymore than Amazon normally does but will help support our show and website and would be greatly appreciated ! You can get to it by going here : http://www.isrtv.com/isrtv-amazon-store/ Thank for your support !

Derek Speare Designs 2015 DSD Pro Sequential Shifter A.K.A "Funstick" Review
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Thanks.

I haven't had a chance to try the DK2 yet, I have been so busy testing shifters, writing reviews and recording videos that I haven't had a chance to invite my friend over with his DK2.

I am moving house in about a months time so I will be stripping my rig and powder coating all the new bits, I will invite my friend over after that.

WOW! What Derek Spear will come up with next. This guy is Great at knowing what to make for us Simer's, to want to buy! lol. Avenga, I really liked your review it was Great. I think the New DSD Shifter is Awesome. But, I would need one that is super easy to shift (like the one Derek built with the Light Spring in it for me) he-hee. Keep up with that Awesome build on your rig too.

G00D Day!

Hello Avenga

Great comparison video and write up...is your DSD Shifter (funstick) an early model from the one on Dereks' website (polished metal looking one).??...so if purchasing one from Dereks' website, it would be the polished metal one?

Thanks

My DSD shifter is the prototype for the new 3D printed 2015 model of shifter which will be coming out shortly. The funstick hasn't launched yet so it isn't up on his website yet. When it does it will be called the 2015 DSD Pro Sequential Shifter

It is a much smaller and cheaper version of last years fully polished metal shifter.

The retail version of the funstick differs a bit from mine, it has a smaller base and the USB controller sits in a little box on the shifter itself.

Here is a photo of the final retail version (or 99% of what the full retail will look like)

IMG_0577_zpsqjneiacl.jpg

The full polished metal was much bigger and a lot more expensive.

Here is a shot of the new "funstick" vs the old behemoth. And the funstick has the longer knob on it in that photo so with the Stubbo knob on then the size difference would be even more.

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

I don't know if Derek is planning on doing another run of the full metal 2014 version or if this new version is completely replacing it.

Avenga, Covered all these things in his review. People must not be reading, huh?

G00d Day!

It is a long review so it is pretty easy for people to miss stuff, no harm in asking questions, I like answering them.

Avenga, Covered all these things in his review. People must not be reading, huh?

G00d Day!

I did but from his review it is evident that you are pushing/pulling against some rubber stops and adjusting the microswitches only makes it easier or harder to make the switch.

What I am asking is, is there adjustable travel with say a easy switching action.

You can adjust the switches to give you more travel before it changes gear but I don't think you would get that much movement. (read the adjustablity section of my main review for more info)

IMG_3885_zps9ckw40p7.jpg

Thx Avenga76, great review by the way.

Thank you Avenga for your great review.

I have to say that I have been waiting for something like this to came out since beginning of October. I was even waiting for another round of the DSD 2014 sequential shifter.

But to tell you the truth I am a bit disappointed. I can understand that it is a great product and that works great, but I think that it disappointed me on the realistic side of things. First of all the fact that it is made of plastic. There are already SLS processes to print in metal and to tell the truth in the beginning I also thought that the shifter would be made of metal (probably too expansive). Then there is the fact the it uses rubbers, instead of other mechanism. In this case I must say the unfortunately I never tried a real sequential shifter but I assume that the real feel is more "mechanical"...? and with the rubbers the only feedback will be the noise of the switches. It might be somehow strange and with not much feedback if one is using headphones??

I don't want to sound negative or say that it is a bad product, far from that. I have recently bought the DSD handbrake and it is AMAZING as all the products that Derek does, but I think that it is just not what I was looking for.

Guess it's all about the novelty of 3d printing. Before sim racing gear was going from plastic to metal at least for the more expensive gear and now many get excited about plastic again just because you can print it. I believe this will wear off as metal is still much better imo.

If that shifter was made of normal or cast plastic guys would have probably said 'too expensive for a plastic shifter'.

I zoomed in and believe I personally would have a problem with the rather rough finish, but that's only judging by pics.

I got doubts about the feel and travel of this shifter, but I like the shape and size of it.

Very nice and detailed review Avenga - cheers.

I